Worried about return to Thailand

I will be returning to Thailand in Aug, and hope to stay for long time.  I have previously had a Non O Retirement visa, extended fro several years, but this has expired while I have been in UK.

Am I correct in believing that I can now enter Thailand without a visa, and later convert this to a Non O retirement visa at my local immigration, (Phayao)

I have had money >1 Million in Kasikorn bank, so should not be any problem there, but is there likely to be any difficulties from new rules etc., that I am not aware of?

NB I am 78 yrs old, so medical insurance for OA is difficult, and I hope that I can continue in Thailand as before on Non O retirement.

I see that on Thai Gov web-site entry requirements it says medical insurance in 'recommended' but not compulsory.  Is that true or will I be pressured on arrival to get insurance.

Might be stupid questions, but I am hoping for a trouble free entry, and would like to  be prepared before arrival aand not get a shock at LHR check-in or SVB arrivals.

You won't need insurance to enter.

Converting from your entry stamp to a 90 day O visa to later use to get a retirement extension is commonly done, but not 100 percent guaranteed based on the office and how they respond to your specific application.

Technically under the law for this conversion step you're supposed to prove the money was imported, but that may be typically waived as the money has been there a long time.

Again, no guarantees.

If you try this, get it started soon after you enter Thailand. The conversion application won't be accepted too late on your initial entry stamp time (someone else can tell you the exact number of days).

Seek information on how your specific local office is handling these conversion situations these days, if possible. 

If you try this and it doesn't work, probably people can advise on possible options on getting an O visa in a nearby country (if possible). I recall a recent post saying that it is, but I'm not sure, and if it is, you would want to know the optimal country to travel to. 

Good luck.

Corrections to my post welcome.

To add, I think this guy is painting a less optimistic picture than the reality:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Aren't they currently giving 45 days instead of 30 for the visa exempt stamp?
If so, that helps this situation.

If not, he might consider getting a tourist visa to give more breathing room.

The 45 was talked about but nothing announced as yet.

He can buy a 30 day extension to visa exempt entry for 1900 baht or SETV as you suggest.

Given that the bank account and funds are in place he can obtain the non O almost straight away.

Couple of reports recently of a immigration office being fussy with proof of funds coming from abroad with funds having been here for "some time" 

Asking the transfer to be traced back. Difficult.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Aren't they currently giving 45 days instead of 30 for the visa exempt stamp?
If so, that helps this situation.

If not, he might consider getting a tourist visa to give more breathing room.

They did give 45 days with visa exempt entry back when there was a 14-day required quarantine but they quit doing that near the end of last year (when I came in visa exempt in September and had to do the 14-day Phuket sandbox routine, I got 45 days).  Only 30 days will be given now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You won't need insurance to enter.

Converting from your entry stamp to a 90 day O visa to later use to get a retirement extension is commonly done, but not 100 percent guaranteed based on the office and how they respond to your specific application.

How common in recent months?

To obtain a Non O based on retirement in the UK there is now an insurance requirement.

Who can say that will not become a requirement at immigration for the same visa.

Considering all the fuss that was made over insurance for COE and TP, little has been said about it sneaking on to the retirement visa requirements.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

To obtain a Non O based on retirement in the UK there is now an insurance requirement.

Who can say that will not become a requirement at immigration for the same visa.

Back in 2020 when the started allowing entries for those staying or entering the country is when they put the insurance  in place to get a non-o visa based upon retirement to get a certificate of entry. Prior to that the majority of embassies and official consulates were not issuing a non-o visa based upon retirement

48 minutes ago, sandyf said:

How common in recent months?

Considering all the fuss that was made over insurance for COE and TP, little has been said about it sneaking on to the retirement visa requirements.

Conversion  to O done in Thailand insurance not required.

Annual retirement extensions if you started with O, insurance not required. 

Annual retirement extensions if you started with OA, insurance required. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

In case they ask in Khon Kaen (unlikely after doing extensions since 2012) I will have a box of 23 old bankbooks plus some current ones :biggrin:

7 digit foreign transfers from 2011 included.

Never throw away your old bank books.

I will do a border run at Nong Khai on Monday to cancel my Non O-A status and return with exempt entry.

As far as I know I can return same day from Laos, basically just wandering over the market and go back?

Then on Wednesday or Thursday I will apply for Non O retirement at Khon Kaen.

Please post on how this goes, I will be doing the same in September

Tourism ‘insurance’ fee will cover ALL foreigners entering Thailand

Whilst postponed for a few months, the proposed 300 baht “tourism fee” is back in the news with the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

This time there are no plans for exemptions – ALL foreigners, including expats, work permit or long-term visa holders, and diplomats will be required to pay the 300 fee.

Health, hospital or Covid-19 expenses won’t be covered under the new compulsory arrival tourism fee (so passengers will still be advised to get general travel or health insurance to cover those eventualities). Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/tourism-insurance-fee-will-cover-all-foreigners-entering-thailand?utm_source=Thaiger+Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022-07-15

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Back in 2020 when the started allowing entries for those staying or entering the country is when they put the insurance  in place to get a non-o visa based upon retirement to get a certificate of entry. Prior to that the majority of embassies and official consulates were not issuing a non-o visa based upon retirement

The history is irrelevant, it would not be out of the question for the requirements for a Non O based on retirement to become the same.

The UK has been doing Non O based on pension for a long time and they added the requirement to the visa even though the COE was a separate process which required insurance.

The way things are now, many will do as the OP and arrive visa exempt in the hope of circumventing the insurance. This could well lead to a rise in conversions which may very well make it much more difficult.

Telling people that there won't be a problem converting visa exempt to Non O retirement may not be the best advice going forward.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Conversion  to O done in Thailand insurance not required.

Annual retirement extensions if you started with O, insurance not required. 

Annual retirement extensions if you started with OA, insurance required. 

Take it "become" went over your head.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Robin said:

Might be stupid questions, but I am hoping for a trouble free entry, and would like to  be prepared before arrival aand not get a shock at LHR check-in or SVB arrivals.

To be sure of being trouble free I would suggest you consider getting the visa before leaving the UK. It is all done online now and no need to send passport away.

I understand your concerns over insurance, I am 75, but you would only need a policy to get over the initial hurdle. Worth having a look at this website

https://partner.fwdgi.co.th/en/fwdgi/corona-virus-inbound-insurance?utm_source=asqbroker

I have come back twice since restrictions lifted, not quite as daunting as it may appear. I was lucky, when I first returned I had free insurance with my air ticket, but just in case I had a couple of companies lined up as backup.

I will also be returning late August but on a new marriage visa which doesn't need the insurance.

Good luck.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The history is irrelevant, it would not be out of the question for the requirements for a Non O based on retirement to become the same.

Good thing we don't give much time to guess work and what ifs.

Well most folk don't. 

• Like 2

I have just tried to apply for a Non O visa in UK, using the on-line application from RTE London.

Stopped as the application now demands a medical insurance certificate, and proof of funds in UK bank, which I thought were not required.  both are probably beyond me;  i do not have the money required, nor will the insurance be easy at my age (78)

So despite my good intentions to get everything possible done in advance, it seems that I have to take a chance and hope that I am granted a visa on entry.

Is this some change of rule recently introduced, or wrong information on RTE site?

3 minutes ago, Robin said:

it seems that I have to take a chance and hope that I am granted a visa on entry.

You would be obtaining 30 day permission of stay from a visa exempt entry.

You will have no issue.

The procedure to obtain non O retirement and subsequent 12 month extension has been outlined in the thread.

You will not require insurance. 

Ignore any advice that suggests that you will. 

Chill 

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Good thing we don't give much time to guess work and what ifs.

Well most folk don't. 

Then they start whinging when something a blind man could see comes about.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

History is irrelevant, and the distant future almost equally irrelevant. All of the requirements for every kind of visa everywhere are subject to change. When considering what to do in the short term, just meet the current requirements. When there are major changes in 2024 (say, insurance or level of financial proof) deal with it then.

Take it you do not see the OP as being current.

He should apply for the visa in the UK, but obviously free to ignore the potential risk and follow alternative advice.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Won't waste time worry about "what ifs" in the meantime and I certainly would not post hyperbole in meantime. 

Insurance for a retirement visa is not a "what if" and if I planned to be here on retirement basis I would have the appropriate visa before leaving the UK.

Of course you are free to disagree with that way of doing things.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.
  • Non-Immigrant visas - Royal Thai Embassy, London

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Insurance for a retirement visa is not a "what if" and if I planned to be here on retirement basis I would have the appropriate visa before leaving the UK.

Of course you are free to disagree with that way of doing things.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.
  • Non-Immigrant visas - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Irrelevant.

My advice throughout thread has been enter Thailand visa exempt or tourist visa.

Then obtain non O retirement and 12 month extension.

ZERO insurance requirement 

• Like 2

Dumb question came to my mind (could not find a clear answer).

I read that for the Non O application you need at least 15 (or 21) days remaining permission to stay.

Does this imply that the Non O application will be "under consideration" and a second visit to immigration office is necessary or is it approved on the spot/same day?

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Does this imply that the Non O application will be "under consideration" and a second visit to immigration office is necessary or is it approved on the spot/same day?

The non-o visa application has to be approved at the division level of immigration is the reason you must apply no later than 15 or 21 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

The do not do a under consideration stamp for them.

• Like 1