Saving is the new buzzword as prices rise in Thailand

webfact

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

The headline bears no correlation to the narrative whatsoever.

This is Thailand where cash is king, and the paid off house instead of a D-MAX in the driveway is the new norm... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's 2022 headline CPI is projected to rise between 4 to 5%, compared with 1.23% in 2021. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

THB2,000 a week on buying food etc., and THB600 a week for petrol.

This week my groceries have totaled THB3,700 and I am struggling to get by with THB1,000 in the tank

From 2000 to 3700 is a lot more than 5% rise?  Ditto fuel from 600 to 1000.

• Like 2

I’ve been reading some proper articles on this subject... The main drivers of inflation in much of Europe relates to energy (domestic and vehicle fuel). There has been very little of the former here and while the latter (diesel) has increased it remains a fraction of the price in Europe which in actual cash terms has increased far more than the 10 baht here. Food prices have increased but the movement I’ve seen is in no small way due to the egregious retail monopoly existing in thailand .

If the writer is mentioning U.K. state pensions he has overlooked  the more fundamental issue of them being frozen and the cumulative yearly effective penalty ex pats endure. Next April  they are projected to increase by 10+% (roughly £970 per annum) which of course retirees here won’t get. 
On balance though my calculations show I’m increasingly financially better off here than in U.K. ,especially as the rental market (my house is rented out) is very buoyant and increased my monthly rental by £500 in January ! 

Edited by onthedarkside
news trolling comment removed
  • Like 1

Savings count for a lot. Those who thought the UK pension would do and did not bother to save any extra are probably worse off. 

Now, inflation is in the high single digits but it has been higher. See 

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/THA/thailand/inflation-rate-cpi

Not to say today isn't bad, but it's not the worst. 

Edited by Purdey

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Aren't those countries experiencing economic collapse and actual war?  I would have thought that these were more important issues to show sympathy for. ????

Also thought strange those 2 were mentioned, as more than just inflation going on there.

Notice author states lives here / TH, and yet, few days ago, stated petrol was 52 baht ????

Hmm ... 

• Like 1

City life and countryside life do seem to be very different regarding food expenses when you can grow your own food, apart from rice, which is probably cheaper where we live than in a city. 3,700 Baht per week for food seems a lot to me. Most of that is processed food and chemical vegetables and fruit, I expect. If you have some land you can be self-sufficient regarding (chemical-free) fruit and vegetables, and water, which you can structure and store in large clay "ongs". We're adding chickens soon and later on a fish pond as we have 19 cats to look after. I couldn't live in a city again.

• Like 1

UK expats here are no different to the other 500 thousand who if non resident have their state pension frozen.

Essential to have a company/private pension that increases yearly with the CPI index.

The OP rises here seem disproportionate.

My recent spending is certainly up but only slightly.

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Some posters just don't understand Thai people.

There is nothing wrong going and paying the electric bill or rent for them if you feel the need, !!!!!!!!!

But to hand over cash , no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Food and water, will go a long way, cash.

will be,  booze, cigs, gambling, party time.

And if you think the money will come back to you

when / if, the good times come, forget it.

Handing over cash to friends and family will just bring

resentment down the road.

But feel free to run your bank account down for them.

You could always ask yourself,  why they never plan for a rainy day ? answer, they care not about tomorrow, well tomorrow has just started to come.

and it will only get worse before better.

You are putting all Thai's in one basket, and  they are not all the same, and I am not saying give them all your money just help them if they need help in these bad times.

• Like 2

quoting the highest diesel price in an op-ed for petrol inflation equates to quoting wagyu beef price at Villa Markets as everyday beef price at fresh market.  Niche market customer vs every day consumers.

• Like 1