Expat Insider 2022

We see here and in other media often articles about the best country for this and that.

IMHO most of them don't make much sense.

Yesterday I found this one and this seems reasonable:

https://cms-internationsgmbh.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/file/cms-media/public/2022-07/Expat-Insider-2022.pdf

All about Thailand is on pages 68 to 70.

I found it in this article. I was never in NZ and I can't comment on that aspect.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/14/100-pure-rip-off-new-zealand-voted-second-worst-place-to-move-to

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Expat insider.

A contradictory in terms?

Not really. It's about the opinions from expats living in other peoples' countries.

I think that is a lot more relevant for people who want to move to another country compared to the opinion of people who were born in that country.

I.e. ask a Thai person about Thailand and a foreigner who lives here and you will hear very different points of views.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I found it in this article. I was never in NZ and I can't comment on that aspect.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/14/100-pure-rip-off-new-zealand-voted-second-worst-place-to-move-to

I am a Kiwi and have lived in Phuket for about 16 years and had up until just recently, travelled back to NZ on a number of occasions, and of course I have still got many friends over there.

As a country, I thought it was brilliant, having emigrated from the UK in 1984, with great scenery and people, and some fantastic restaurants, not to mention vineyards, and when I decided to move to Phuket, it was an extremely hard decision to make, but I could see the writing on the wall and thought that the cost of living was going to be horrendous in the coming decade or two, and as it turned out, it was! I also needed to get out of the "rat race" and help heal a health problem, so Phuket loomed large.

So I cashed up and moved here and after living well here, I still have more than the original lump sum I had kept in NZ, so I'm set for the rest of my retirement.

I would add that NZ is a fantastic place for a holiday, in the summer season, and the food and restaurants are superb, and if you are reasonably wealthy/well off, then it's a great place to live – – if you aren't, then you will struggle.

• Like 2

All these articles are a giant waste of time.

Unless you are very like the one posting, with the same life experiences, goals, etc.

And what are the chances of that ?

Why would I believe someone yahoo I have never met, who just decided one day to tell the rest of the world how much he knows about a place he barely knows ?

You know what they say about opinions ...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Unless you are very like the one posting, with the same life experiences, goals, etc.

Why would I believe someone yahoo I have never met, who just decided one day to tell the rest of the world how much he knows about a place he barely knows ?

Did you actually read part of that linked document, maybe the pages about Thailand?

Because it is based on the opinion of many people who moved to that country to live there. It's not based on one or two opinions only.

Obviously each of us can still have different experiences. But if someone things about moving i.e. to Thailand or any other country that study is until now the best I have seen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you actually read part of that linked document, maybe the pages about Thailand?

Yes I did.

Unless you are very close in temperament, income or pension, life experiences - how can your experience duplicate mine ?

Like all the morons who live in Pattaya or anywhere else and tell people what it is like to live in LOS. They can only tell what it is like for them in Pattaya - the rest they are clueless about

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, seedy said:

Well......

Some [actually, most] are easily swayed and manipulated these days. 

Quite obvious within this illustrious venue.

I was going to repeat my story which ends “… well, if I was going to choose my job based on where I wanted to live, I’d not be sat here talking to you in Warrington, Tommy”; but then I thought - how unfortunate must it be to have nothing to influence your choice of abode?  To be as free as litter blowing in the wind?

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Articles in The Guardian are now written by the Musk robot GPT-3.

This is true.

Even The Guardian admits to it.

I think it’s interesting to know where robots might like to live as expats.  I am pretty sure that they would prefer Pattaya to Skaros.  Although for some robots, drop kerbs may be important, and a prohibition on lubrication between 2pm and 5 pm intolerable.

17 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think it’s interesting to know where robots might like to live as expats.  I am pretty sure that they would prefer Pattaya to Skaros.  Although for some robots, drop kerbs may be important, and a prohibition on lubrication between 2pm and 5 pm intolerable.

I never heard of one robot exchanging fluids, or consuming fluids, together with other robots, unless one might be using the term 'robot' loosely in the metaphorical sense. 

The biggest hurdle to overcome in creating a machine possessing general intelligence, in my view, is duplication of biologically similar primary needs. 

Until you can make your computer thirsty for a Chang beer, then AI will remain a pipe dream. 

Still, optimistically speaking, a decade hence, we may create machines able to drink Chang. 

And this will be... 

Such a boon to the brewing industry. 

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I never heard of one robot exchanging fluids, or consuming fluids, together with other robots, unless one might be using the term 'robot' loosely in the metaphorical sense. 

The biggest hurdle to overcome in creating a machine possessing general intelligence, in my view, is duplication of biologically similar primary needs. 

Until you can make your computer thirsty for a Chang beer, then AI will remain a pipe dream. 

Still, optimistically speaking, a decade hence, we may create machines able to drink Chang. 

And this will be... 

Such a boon to the brewing industry. 

Back in the day, they set a criterion that “artificial intelligence” should be indistinguishable from talking to a human being, and scientists foolishly treated that as a hurdle, rather than a limbo bar.

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day, they set a criterion that “artificial intelligence” should be indistinguishable from talking to a human being, and scientists foolishly treated that as a hurdle, rather than a limbo bar.

Unfortunately, Turing's is still the acid test, for some. 

But, can any robot pass the Electric Kool-aid Acid Test? 

This is the real question.