Cleaning brushes

Aforek

Hello, I am painting some rooms in my home, and I wonder which produce you use to clean the brushes

so far, I use alcool from Thaiwtasadu ( brand with a crocodile ), but I wonder if it's not dangerous for environment

are there natural produces ( savon de Marseile type ? ) 

thank you

Just soak paint brushes in turpentine.

Or, just buy cheap paint brushes and dispose of them after a full 10-hour day of painting.

Note:  Cheap brushes are not so good.  They will leave paint brush hairs on the walls, as you paint.

Always better for the painter to have good quality brushes.

Your best solvent of choice for cleaning paint brushes will depend upon the type of paint you are using.

Alcohol is not particularly dangerous for most environments, by the way. (Never drink it, of course.)

Here is a link for you, from Better Homes & Gardens, which is helpful to many in your predicament:

https://www.bhg.com/decorating/paint/how-tos/how-to-clean-paint-brushes/

2 hours ago, Aforek said:

Hello, I am painting some rooms in my home, and I wonder which produce you use to clean the brushes

It very much depends on the paint you are using. Many paints are using water as a solvent, so soap and water, then AAA for solvent paints, followed by paraffin.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

If you are painting the same color paint leave the brushes in water . Applies to oil paint as well as water based paint . Can be left for weeks as long as you keep the container filled after some evaporation .

So no real need for cleaning at all .

13 minutes ago, itsari said:

If you are painting the same color paint leave the brushes in water . Applies to oil paint as well as water based paint . Can be left for weeks as long as you keep the container filled after some evaporation .

So no real need for cleaning at all .

Well if you want to go that route then wrap brush in wet rag and put in a plastic bag. That way you don't have excess water on brush which will run down brush when you're painting. Unless you're just breaking for a few hours taking the few minutes to clean brushes makes for a better experience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Well if you want to go that route then wrap brush in wet rag and put in a plastic bag. That way you don't have excess water on brush which will run down brush when you're painting. Unless you're just breaking for a few hours taking the few minutes to clean brushes makes for a better experience.

Yes, plastic bag is ok too . But for convenience when working leave the brush in water . Removing the water is done in seconds . I have done much painting in my life and the method i suggest works well . But if left until the water has evaporated then you have lost your brush . 

Actually i use the plastic bag method with rollers . I have gone back to the roller after many months and still ready to use if the same paint is required .

Edited by itsari

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Yes, plastic bag is ok too . But for convenience when working leave the brush in water . Removing the water is done in seconds . I have done much painting in my life and the method i suggest works well . But if left until the water has evaporated then you have lost your brush . 

Your way works well especially if you don't have an outside area to wash off. Myself I like a nice dry brush with stiff bristles for cutting in.

For the roller I splash a bit of water and put inside a plastic bag and wrap it up.

Just a little more information. There is available in Thaiwatsadu gallon cans of white spirit which I use and is excellent for cleaning brushes. I have recently done some red oxide painting followed by gloss. Cleaning with white spirit makes the brushes almost new again. Another plus is that the white spirit doesn't evaporate very quickly.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Brushes are cheaper than brush cleaner.

So I just chuck mine and buy new brushes every time.

Exactly, if I'm using a metal primer. I toss the brushes or roller as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Brushes are cheaper than brush cleaner.

Trouble is that, for me , I have to add cost in time and fuel to get the new brush.

My nearest new brush shop is about 12km away.