Another "which TV do you recommend " thread

rumak

Yep,   7 year old Samsung  "smart tv"  just went blank .    I think they install a chip that just explodes at the 

designated termination date.

Might as well buy a new one .   Anyone buy within the last year or two and have a report on how they like 

their "new"  smart TV ?      I want a 45" to 50"  model .   

(will probably check out old one but the cost of repair usually not worth the disappointment when it fails again within a year or so)

I bought a new Sony Bravia 49 inch Smart TV about 2.5 years ago and although it's okay, I've not been over-enamoured with it, mainly because the settings/menu aspect is not that easy-to-use/understand.

A friend of mine who bought a similar TV for his mother here, has said the same thing, and he's a bit of a tech whiz!

I am "sort of looking around" for a new TV and it has to be no bigger than 50 inch, and so far I like the look of the LG range, although TCL, who my tech wiz mate derides because they are made in China (I don't think he realises that a lot of the inner workings of TVs these days are made in China) and these have good write-ups by magazine folk who test TVs.

I see there are a lot of specials on offer at the moment from TVs launched in 2021, so may have another look around shortly.

Over years we have bought a 40 jvc and a 50 LG both had connections for computers and satellite TV and just pick one that was reasonably priced and the reason they were cheaper was because there's newer models coming out all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rumak said:

Yep,   7 year old Samsung  "smart tv"  just went blank .    I think they install a chip that just explodes at the 

????

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I bought a new Sony Bravia 49 inch Smart TV about 2.5 years ago and although it's okay, I've not been over-enamoured with it, mainly because the settings/menu aspect is not that easy-to-use/understand.

A friend of mine who bought a similar TV for his mother here, has said the same thing, and he's a bit of a tech whiz!

I am "sort of looking around" for a new TV and it has to be no bigger than 50 inch, and so far I like the look of the LG range, although TCL, who my tech wiz mate derides because they are made in China (I don't think he realises that a lot of the inner workings of TVs these days are made in China) and these have good write-ups by magazine folk who test TVs.

I see there are a lot of specials on offer at the moment from TVs launched in 2021, so may have another look around shortly.

Consider the location of the TV before you buy. Bright room? Dark room? Viewing angles etc

It's not all about the brand name, as even within ranges there is an almost bewildering amount of information to consume before you can properly compare.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rumak said:

Part of the "built-in obsolescence" perhaps – – something that was mooted about techie stuff a few decades ago!!

I've got two 47-inch LG TVs that I bought 8 years ago. No problems watching IPTV (Pulse-TV) through an Android smart TV box,  Youtube channels via WiFi and even regular TV through an aerial.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rumak said:

Yes, appliances these days are designed to fail shortly after the warranty period ends, so your next one probably will not last 7 years, as that is how they can offer them at such low prices.

I have 6 TV's in my house, which I moved in 10 years ago, and 5 of them needed replacing during that time.

The 6th one is a LG plasma which I bought some 15 years ago when plasma's entered the market, and which is only capable of 480p picture.

It hangs under the patio for 10 years now, and is still working.