What happens to unused bank accounts?

I've previously worked in Thailand and still have a bank account there (with Kasikorn Silom Branch). There is only like 20 baht left in it (I still get the sms alerts, but do not have access to the banking app anymore).

Since I was sort of locked out due to covid abruptly, I also do not have the bank book anymore (I may be able to get it somehow if absolutely needed if I'm lucky but it may also have been thrown away).

I guess my question is, I don't need this account anymore, should I bother to try to go in and close it (I'll be in BKK next month) with no bank book, no atm card, and a different passport ..... they probably want a police report or something, it'll be a mess I just know it. What happens if I just....don't use it?

Will they auto close it? I want to avoid a situation where 5 years from now they keep deducting 1k yearly fee and interest and I'm suddenly on the hook for a few 10k at the airport or something.

Thanks

it's easier to just get them to update your passport and get a new passbook, no need for ATM card. Alternatively the account will be closed when the balance gets below a minimum balance.

Updating passport is very simple, just give them the passport and they update

Edited by scubascuba3

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

it's easier to just get them to update your passport and get a new passbook, no need for ATM card. Alternatively the account will be closed when the balance gets below a minimum balance.

Thanks. But I'm confused, easier compared to what?

Are you saying if I just go in with my new passport they will give me a new "book bank"? In my experience everything is always a bureaucratic nightmare and I kind of expected they need me to report the loss of the old one to the police.

But honestly if you say they close it automatically then I think I'll just not bother and just let it expire.

19 minutes ago, nummer1 said:

Are you saying if I just go in with my new passport they will give me a new "book bank"? In my experience everything is always a bureaucratic nightmare and I kind of expected they need me to report the loss of the old one to the police.

But honestly if you say they close it automatically then I think I'll just not bother and just let it expire.

Having no passbook is the main problem. If you had an old one that would work. Maybe call them

20 minutes ago, nummer1 said:

As an absolute minimum you would certainly need to have something that connects your new passport to the one on the account records, better still have the old passport is available.  But as stated, old accounts eventually expire of their own volition without you needing to do anything, seems that doing nothing is by far the easiest option.

Thanks everyone.

I do still have the old (now expired) passport, so I could bring that along I guess, just not the bank book, or book bank or passbook or whatever it's called.

But I think I'll just let it expire/auto close which is what I was hoping it would do. Thank you for confirming.

Edited by nummer1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Tried that a few years ago in Bangkok Bank, they copied both passports and the passbook (the copies had to signed by me), filled in 2 forms (sign again) then spent nearly 5 mins typing into the computer, said all done.

Returned to few weeks later to withdraw some money, lo and behold the new passport was not in the system, luckily I got a sensible one who accepted the old passport number in the transfer stamps at the front of the passport and there and then changed the computer no problems since.