Many Thais start to remove face masks in some places, online survey finds

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I flew back last week. The cabin announcement in Thai said masks were compulsory, but in the English version they were only 'recommended'. I didn't wear one on the flight, at the airport, in the AOT limo, in fact not once since I got back. No-one has said anything, and I haven't seen anyone looking very upset (this is in Bangkok). Pro-maskers will doubtless be outraged by my behaviour but hey, it's freedom of choice now. 

Indeed. More people seem to be masking outside now than before I left end June. Bizarre. Wear them outside but then go to an indoor food court with 4 friends from the office and sit cheek by jowl gabbing away and slurping noodles.

How do you expect people to eat in crowded areas, I saw the same thing with a few groups of foreigners yesterday, even sharing Drinks, in Icon Siam's Sook Siam Food area.

4 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Pro-maskers will doubtless be outraged by my behaviour but hey, it's freedom of choice now. 

And you choose to be ignorant towards the concern and health of others... great example. I would have thought in the Limo one might have shown some class by wearing one for the driver. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Here's a clue; Your health is your own business. Nobody else is responsible for your health.

Not even the guy who is breathing over you  without the thought of putting a mask on? As much as I dislike diversions, I expect condom wearing could be thought of similarly. Although condoms are far more effective.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Sad 1

Makes no sense.  So they remove the masks entering in these types of places.  But put it back on when they go back out in the street.  One would think they would do the opposite.  
And from what I see living in Bangkok.  It’s mostly Thais that are continuing to wear the mask.  The majority of the foreigners, especially westerners do not. 

2 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

This UK study on schools is an interesting insight into humans. 

The study shows no statistical difference between schools that wore masks v those that didn’t (consistent with a recent Omicron observation in California). BUT 70% of people felt safer with them on. 

So we are a world full of Linus’ with masks not doing much in general use but making the anxious feel better ????????‍♂️????

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59895934

That UK study shows nothing, as you say. It is inconclusive. 

1. It deals with children, who are less likely than adults to be severely affected. Also being in classrooms all day long together with other possibly infected students, lessens the effectiveness of masks by a large factor, because of the prolonged possible exposure. My Daughter goes to school and all wear masks in school, despite that, about one student in her class gets tested positive weekly. Me and my wife tested positive about 2 months ago, our children both tested negative, even when one of them had mild symptoms. We did tests every day during the bout, it took about 7 days for me and wife to test negative. We all have vaccinated including booster shot before.

2. Wearing a mask in public spaces has a much greater protective potential because the possible exposures may be very brief, that is where a mask makes a difference.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Locations where they prefer to remove their face masks include entertainment venues (12.53%), cinemas (10.35%), shopping centres (9.79%), markets (8.95%) and on public transport (8.78%).

If that's where they prefer to remove their masks, where exactly do they prefer to wear them??

• Thanks 1

Just now, LukKrueng said:

If that's where they prefer to remove their masks, where exactly do they prefer to wear them??

exactly my thought:) Why would you prefer to remove the mask in all those public places??? must be something wrong with the survey questionnaire.

12 hours ago, WHansen said:

Some might suggest you isolate at home indefinately or only go out triple masked

I would of probably suggest they go wear a face visor or maybe i would of been I a lot less diplomatic,  probably the latter as these people have solutions - stay at home, face visors, triple masking,PPE suits and yet they still want to inconvenience everyone else.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, mnomad said:

I would of probably suggest they go wear a face visor or maybe i would of been I a lot less diplomatic,  probably the latter as these people have solutions - stay at home, face visors, triple masking,PPE suits and yet they still want to inconvenience everyone else.

Nobody is trying to inconvenience you, wear one if you want, yet you still want to cry that your freedoms are being taken away when they are not.  Once again your not in your home country and your rights there do not transfer to Thailand.  Get over yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

The only ones i see without a mask are falangs,about 6 i big c yesterday,all Thais had them on ,spoke to one guy ,up to me he said ,i mentined that covid could kill me  he just shrugged his shoulers your problem.wonder why many Thais dont respect us.

Ohhh Lord  ????????????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Probably not shrugging his soldiers but a nervous tic he has developed, from total strangers coming up to him and accusing him of trying to kill them!

That or it was from the nicotine fit he was having......

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

Probably not shrugging his soldiers but a nervous tic he has developed, from total strangers coming up to him and accusing him of trying to kill them!

Maybe that is the same guy in the carpark who ran me over with his car, I asked him; "why you try to kill me?" he just shrugged his boulders and continued on his merry way.

• Haha 2

In my area of bkk it’s still only the foreigners not wearing masks, predominantly tourists. A few Thais seem to be stopping now, but literally just a few. On the BTS a couple of days ago the only person not wearing a mask was a young European tourist. Nobody went near him ????

2 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

In my area of bkk it’s still only the foreigners not wearing masks, predominantly tourists. A few Thais seem to be stopping now, but literally just a few. On the BTS a couple of days ago the only person not wearing a mask was a young European tourist. Nobody went near him ????

That's a thought; not wearing a mask will ensure you get personal space everywhere:)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Surprised he was let through the scanning area by the BTS personnel, unless he wore one just to get through and then took it off afterwards.  Have seen that happen, and watched as all folks steered clear on the Skytrain or even the MRT trains.

I haven't been out much these couple of months just the odd shopping trip and I haven't seen anyone without a mask while shopping. Certainly, I would prefer not to wear a mask but do so out of respect for others. However, I do see people not going through the unattended checkpoint (Lotus)...I still do, Ha!

13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Markets seem to be the only real worry there.  Even though they are outsidc is just as culpableye, people go form person to person nattering.  If they do this without a mask, it's going to increase spread.  Many outbreaks/super spreaders came from markets.big 

Many outbreaks/super spreaders came from humans yapping wherever they might be. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Westerners have become quite selfish in modern times..... and there is a strong sense of freedom and not accepting being told what to do. More sad is they bring this with them when they travel.

If I do not see masks about me I am not bothering as much myself, and am forgetting to carry one more often. Certainly if I were in a market and a majority aroujnd were masked, I would be wearing one too... it would be considerate. 

Your choice.  As for me can't stand dog cages on my choice mask are at best may !!! protect yourself thats may and may do nothing its A flu herd immunity after so Called forced vaccination what's next Steroliztion ?

As for me don't like muzzles! However if You wish to wear 1 please go right ahead and wear one !! Mask don't stop the spread may help at best , may help you if you have flu like symptoms stay home until you feel better learn to live with it Freedom is at play here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

Must have been the same guy I spoke to in the car park having a cigarette. I mentioned that his cigarette smoke could kill me as he was taking a drag  He just shrugged his shoulders.

If what you claim is true, which I doubt as going up to a complete stranger and complaining about him having a cigarette is asking for trouble, I'm surprised that he didn't laugh in your face for claiming that him having a smoke in the open air (multi-storey car park or not, you didn't say) was endangering your life. So, I'd say you made the whole thing up. Why, I have no idea.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

As for me don't like muzzles! However if You wish to wear 1 please go right ahead and wear one !! Mask don't stop the spread may help at best , may help you if you have flu like symptoms stay home until you feel better learn to live with it Freedom is at play here 

Another one who thinks his countries freedoms follow him to foreign countries, yeah right hows that worked for those who have been arrested in other countries for expressing their freedoms.....Britney Griner comes to mind.