Many Thais start to remove face masks in some places, online survey finds

snoop1130

7 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The true revelation is how many of them (on motorcycles) were wearing helmets…

I think many of motocy riders are protecting themselves from dust, bugs , polution and small particles kicked up from the road.  That's main reason they wear the masks.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Most Thais now prefer to remove their face masks in specific locations, according to a recent survey by the Department of Health Service Support, as Thailand relaxes mask wearing requirements.

Every Thai and I mean every Thai where I live still respectfully wear masks...

whether it's in shops, walking down the street, in local markets or exercising at the parks.

they as I do choose to continue the use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're pretty, remove the mask. I'm tired of looking at gorgeous eyes, and trying to figure out the rest of the face. And, I'm finding -- having to divert my eyes from a mask to a pair of legs -- that Thais don't have a surplus of beautiful legs. So, let's get back to the complete package.....

..... and having said that, if you're ugly, keep the mask on. We can't seem to solve global warming, but maybe, with mandatory masking, we cqn solve global ugliness ????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Is that while they 'respectfully' ignore wearing motorcycle helmets, stopping at pedestrian crossings and a host of other things that are legal requirements, as opposed to advisory?

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, sandrew33 said:

Indeed. No amount of science seems to make these folk change their position. 

The CMO when asked about the BBC report which was widely circulated yesterday by one of Australia’s leading infection disease experts and simply shrugged and indicated that it was his belief that masks added “some level of protection”. Of course he has no data to support that with Omicron. 

And any basic observation of places with and without mask mandates post Omicron shows similar levels of spread. NZ (mask mandate) v Aust (no mask mandate) currently has NZ comfortably out in front in terms of cases ????????‍♂️

People will believe what they will but other than fit tested N95 style masks worn properly they are doing absolutely nothing to stop spread. 

Link please. You made a claim contrary to medical expert opinion, you have been challenged and must now provide a link as per the rules of this forum.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Every Thai and I mean every Thai where I live still respectfully wear masks...

whether it's in shops, walking down the street, in local markets or exercising at the parks.

they as I do choose to continue the use.

So are you inferring a Thai not wearing a mask would be disrespectful? But in any case, you would not be offended, correct?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

I think many of motocy riders are protecting themselves from dust, bugs , polution and small particles kicked up from the road.  That's main reason they wear the masks.

My full face helmet does all of that AND protects me from the biggest danger (accident) too…

Here's the past two weeks daily trends chart  (July 7 - 20) from MOPH, with the first, top line showing the daily trend for total serious condition COVID hospitalizations, and the second lower line showing the daily trend for total serious COVID hospitalizations requiring intubation in order to breathe:

Screenshot_5.jpg.0d60b3a86fcb666c06cf5dc2980592f4.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/607115637573431/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DustyShoes said:

Try and remember I have never called people who do not wear masks names other than using the Anti-masker moniker for which they are.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Anti-masker

Anti-maskers are atypical in that they hold the deluded belief that wearing masks during a global pandemic are somehow an infringement on their "individual freedoms"

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Tony125 said:

So they've been bothered by dust, bugs , polution and small particles since 2020? Because before that they sure didn't wear them.

16 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

The limo driver was separated from me by a solid perspex partition. He (a young guy) actually told me he didn't want to wear a mask, but his employer made him wear it.

Okay, that is fair enough, although I wonder if the recirculated air from the AC is shared by both halves of the cab. I have never come across partitions (bar black London style cabs), perhaps because I have not flown since pre-Covid. 

If the driver was wearing one, I would personally feel obliged to return the good manners and do so myself. 

My Thai family are cautious, as they do not get paid if they get sick, PERIOD.

You expats should think about that when you do see Thai people with masks on.

You can afford to get sick, most of them cannot.  DId this message get through to you?

Nope, okay cheerio, and carry on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

You can afford to get sick, most of them cannot.  DId this message get through to you?

Good point... and not long ago a positive test would also result in suspension from work to go into isolation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

I don't get paid if I get sick either. Maskless AND not sick, does that message get through to you?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:32 PM, FrederikKitten said:

I live in a small Isaan village with 2000 population and we are 100% masked. No exceptions. ???? ???? Yeah I saw videos from the Pattaya etc. ????

Not so in my Isaan village and surrounds. More and more are dispensing with the mask, including market traders. I'd say it's about 50/50 now. I go masked to the markets. It feels very different to when I was last here Feb to May when the fear was still palpable.

I've recently returned from France where mask wearing is a thing of the past, despite very high and climbing infection rates. On my flight here, Air France,  I was required to wear a mask throughout but no one checked my vaccination status anywhere, which is actually now 4 Pfizer jabs the latest on 1 July. As far as I know I've been lucky enough not to catch the virus, or indeed any other infection in the last 2 plus years, even after a recent trip to the UK  from France when no one on the flights, even the cabin crew, at the UK border ( well to be fair one or two in the border queue were) or in the UK were wearing masks. My Thai family appear not to have caught it and only 2 of them have had 2 jabs. My family in the UK are all fully vaccinated, yet  all have had it at some time. 

I really don't know what to make of it now!

On 7/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, spidermike007 said:

I see an extremely low nunber of Thais without masks. What they are saying and what they are doing is a gulf far too wide. Most foreigners are not wearing masks outdoors, and I hope we are setting an example. 

Good or bad one? Usually it is regarded negatively.