Shock! Here's what a lady found in the toilet at "Khao Tom" restaurant - Anyone for fish?

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Cap: Shock!

Daily News reported that Thai social media was in right hubbub over a TikTok post. 

A lady who had been eating in a Khao Tom (boiled rice with condiments) shop had the need for the loos.

What she found there was a "khan' or scooping up bowl floating in the water.

But on closer inspection.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Two rather nice size fish - a sawai and a sucker it appeared.

The poster wondered whether she should order them for dinner. 

The rest of PTSM (Planet Thai Social Media) made facetious and amusing comments like "make mine khao tom plaa 1 jaan kha" and "after eating you went back and found they were gone".

Maybe ASEAN NOW readers can come up with some fishy puns....

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Very common to see fish, although smaller, in the open top water tanks in the house toilets in Indonesia for the simple reason they eat the mosquito eggs and larvae.

Same in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Then tanks are completely self contained, and the water is just dipped and

poured into the toilet.  What is the problem?  My Thai family has the same system in their house.

When I grew up on the farm, we had a 40 gallon barrel that we kept the drinking water in. It was packed from a pond 

in Summer, and we melted blocks of ice, and snow in the Winter.

I guess some people get shocked easily.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

Reminds me of an english teacher I knew in Indonesia who was climbing in to the tank (mandi) to wash in the morning until it was explained you use the bowl to 'shower' yourself.

????

In my innocence, I did that myself when visiting my wife's auntie/uncle up north for the first time, about 20 years ago. We all had a laugh about it.

A couple of years later her family visited us in Sattahip. I went into the back yard and  her uncle was taking a bath (with my shower gel) in our swimming pool.

And some people think that Thais don't understand irony.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

poured into the toilet.  What is the problem?  My Thai family has the same system in their house.

When I grew up on the farm, we had a 40 gallon barrel that we kept the drinking water in. It was packed from a pond 

Yeah I think its more about the fish than the <deleted> wash tank.

I don't see the issue in terms of eating the fish. They put water in those tanks from the mains water supply and then scoop it out to wash themselves. Dirty water doesn't go back in there, the water is kept clean. People aren't putting their hands in there to wash them like they would in a sink full of water.

The only health issue is that people are washing their hands in water that the fish have been in. But given the state of the government water a lot of the time, that's probably no worse than washing your hands from the tap water.

11 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

The fish in the tank was the 'shock' not the tank. ????