Tremors in the night shake north Thailand - can be felt in several provinces including Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: Tremors shake north

The Thai Meteorological Department reported two tremors had occurred late last night and early this morning in Shan State north of Mae Sai, Chiang Rai.

The tremors registered 5.1 and 6.4 on the Richter Scale and occurred at 11.40 pm and 12.07 am respectively.

The epicenter of the first was 80 kilomoters north of Mae Mai and four kilometers underground, the second 87 kilometers away and 3 kilometers underground.

Shaking could be felt in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Phayao, reported Sanook

Internet users in high buildings in Bangkok reported things like lights and curtains in homes moving as a result of the tremors. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The tremors registered 5.1 and 6.4 on the Richter Scale

Who writes this garbage.  The Richter Scale hasn’t been used in years.  The correct terminology is ‘of 5.1 magnitude’.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Who writes this garbage.  The Richter Scale hasn’t been used in years.

Possibly someone in the Thai Meteorological Dept. that was in bed with their partner with Parkinson's perhaps ? ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Slight in Chiang Mai, there was one a few years ago where the water in our pool was sloshing out from side to side, quite scary!

Same there was one years ago in Phuket along the fault line, our pool looked like a tsunami hit it and our villa received some enormous cracks in the walls, that was a 4.3

The 11.40 pm one didn't wake me, the 12.07 am one certainly did. Condo in Chiang Rai shook for about ten seconds. As it's been around for 20-30 years, I guess it can survive. Just hope it has not cracked the swimming pool.

• Like 1

6.4 Earthquake Shakes Chang Rai And Myanmar

By Editor

image.jpeg

Seismograph with paper in action and earthquake - 3D Rendering

A series of earthquakes struck Myanmar’s Shan State and Chiang Rai province in northern Thailand through the night. The earthquakes began at around 11:30pm yesterday (21st July) and as of 7am, a total of 47 tremors ranging in magnitude from 2.4 to 6.4 on the Richter scale had occurred. More earthquakes are expected today, according to Thailand’s meteorological department.

No damage or injuries have been reported as a result of the earthquakes so far. However, damage near the epicentre is possible.

The strongest earthquake which measured 6.4 on the Richter scale occurred at 00:06. The epicentre was found 87 kilometres northeast of Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district, across the border in Myanmar.

At 2:31am, a 4.6 magnitude earthquake at a depth of 1 kilometre occurred 78 kilometres northeast of Mae Sai district. At 5:22am, a 5.3 magnitude earthquake at a depth of 4 kilometres struck 82 kilometres northeast of Mae Sai district.

The earthquakes were felt in Myanmar’s Shan State south of Keng Tung and in various areas in Chiang Rai province including Mae Sai district, Mae Chan district, Mae Fah Luang district, Mueang district, Phan district, Chiang Saen district and Chiang Khong district in Chiang Rai. Weak shaking may also have been felt across the border in southern China.

The tremors occurred during the night and many Chiang Rai residents posted on social media to say they were woken up by their beds shaking.

More earthquakes are expected today in Chiang Rai and across the border in Myanmar, according to the Earthquake Observance Division of Thailand’s Meteorological Department.

The department said that earthquakes with a maximum magnitude of 6.4 are expected, which could affect buildings near the epicentre and cause minor damage such as a broken windows.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/07/6-4-earthquake-shakes-chang-rai-and-myanmar/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-07-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

The tremor felt in BKK might help the floods subside by shaking up the garbage?

Tremor in BKK? Someone MAU and forget to close windows when wind was coming & raining start. Otherwise we had a report with 2.2 magnitude in BKK. ????

21 hours ago, lujanit said:

Who writes this garbage.  The Richter Scale hasn’t been used in years.  The correct terminology is ‘of 5.1 magnitude’.

I use the tried and tested sphincter scale... 

I've been here for 13 years and experienced two tremors and heard reliably about 1 more.

1. Watching TV in Lamphun. My 2 dogs sleeping, but jumped up and looked very scared. I felt the room 'swim' and I honestly thought that I was about to conk out. Then thought 'Me and the dogs - Nah!'

2. In Riverside Condo in CM on 7th floor. The light started to shake quite violently and my coffee cup fell off the table. I grabbed my key and my money and hightailed it for the stairs. 2 ladies (farang!) were waiting at the lift and asked me if I wanted to go in the lift with them. I said "NO!!" Most inhabitants seemed to congregate in the car park, presumably confident that the condo wouldn't collapse right on top of them!

3. Happened in the evening in Loi Kroh in  the 'Entertainment Centre'(!) when it still had its big old glass roof. Apparently, the noise from the clattering of high heels and the shrieking of the ladyboys as they 'dragged' their way out to the street was almost deafening!

All of these tremors were brief, thank God.