Deal reached between Russia and Ukraine to resume grain exports from Black Sea ports, UN chief says

CharlieH

FILE PHOTO: A dockyard worker watches as barley grain is mechanically poured into a 40,000 ton ship at a Ukrainian agricultural exporter's shipment terminal in the southern Ukrainian city of Nikolaev.   REUTERS/Vincent Mundy//File Photo

Russia and Ukraine have signed a landmark deal allowing grain exports to resume from Black Sea ports after they were blockaded by Vladimir Putin's forces.

Russian and Ukrainian representatives declined to sit at the same table at the ceremony, and the display of the two countries' flags was adjusted so that they were no longer next to one another.

Full Story

image.png.e561dfee5cc5fa8fca98d6be1aab0c64.png

Now I know the Wombat is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but if Russia let's Ukraine sell grain will the money be used to pay for weapons to kill Russian troops or am I missing something?

32 minutes ago, wombat said:

Now I know the Wombat is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but if Russia let's Ukraine sell grain will the money be used to pay for weapons to kill Russian troops or am I missing something?

Good point! So I guess Russia may not really respect the deal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, wombat said:

My understanding is that it would work both ways as the agreement allows the sale of Russian grain and fertilizer.

8 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

My understanding is that it would work both ways as the agreement allows the sale of Russian grain and fertilizer.

There were never any sanctions on the sale of Russian grain but they were having problems with insurance for the ships etc

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Russia and Ukraine have signed a landmark deal allowing grain exports to resume from Black Sea ports after they were blockaded by Vladimir Putin's forces.

Russian and Ukrainian representatives declined to sit at the same table at the ceremony, and the display of the two countries' flags was adjusted so that they were no longer next to one another.

Doesn't sound like much of a "landmark deal." More of an "interim agreement."

This means Ukraine will need to remove the mines from their ports and waters. Just what the Russians wanted. Let's see if they find a reason to break the agreement and get a military advantage out of it.

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This means Ukraine will need to remove the mines from their ports and waters. Just what the Russians wanted. Let's see if they find a reason to break the agreement and get a military advantage out of it.

I think Ukraine sure would have laid some mines but the same can also be said for Russia:

"The Russian navy has been given orders to lay mines at the ports of Odesa and Ochakiv, and has already mined the Dnieper River, as part of a blockade of Ukrainian grain exports, according to newly declassified US intelligence.

The US says its intelligence points to a concerted Russian strategy to cut off the stretch of the coast still under Ukrainian control. “The United States has information that the Black Sea fleet is under orders to effectively blockade the Ukrainian ports of Odesa and Ochakiv,” a US official said."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/23/russian-navy-ordered-to-lay-mines-at-ukraines-black-sea-ports-says-us

2 Russian cruise missiles just hit Odessa Port, key to the grain deal. Two were shot down.

One day after the agreement in Istanbul to open up ???????? ports for grain exports ???????? directs a missile attack against the port of Odessa. How should this be interpreted? The ???????? defence minister signed the agreement in Istanbul. 
https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1550772743670571008?s=21&t=34bnQn9ySZZUtC3dOYsUSw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ukraine: Russia hits Ukrainian port despite grain deal

Russian missiles hit Ukraine’s Black Sea port of Odesa hours after Moscow and Kyiv signed deals to allow grain exports to resume from there, one of the latest attacks in the ongoing war in Ukraine.

The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denounced Saturday’s strike as a “spit in the face” to Turkey and the United Nations, which brokered the agreements. 

“It took less than 24 hours for Russia to launch a missile attack on Odesa’s port, breaking its promises and undermining its commitments before the U.N. and Turkey under the Istanbul agreement,” Ukrainian Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleg Nikolenko said. “In case of non-fulfillment, Russia will bear full responsibility for a global food crisis.”

The port's infrastructure was hit by two Russian Kalibr cruise missiles and Ukrainian air defenses brought down two others, the Ukrainian military's South Command said.

(more)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-russia-hits-ukrainian-port-despite-grain-deal-2-americans-die-in-donbas-report-says/ar-AAZT63p

1178342075_USAToday.jpg.5560d45ac6505eb422d293c1c860767f.jpg