Non-Immigrant "O" (Retirement) Visa - single or multiple entries needed?

Hi,
I will travel to Thailand for 6 Month on October, 19th until April, 5th. For that I will apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" (Retirement) Visa.
Which one do I need to apply for:
The 3 months (single entry) Visa? Is it possible to extend the single entry visa for another 3 months at a local immigration?
Or do I need the 1 year (multiple entries)?
Regards

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Only 12 month extension is available for non O 

@DrJack54
That mean, I can make a Non O single entry what I can extend in Thailand for 3 more month?
Do I need any form for do that extension? Which one?
BTW: I am 61 and from Germany

Edited by Stocki

@DrJack54
Thank you for your detailed reply!
I even not considered the solution with a TR Visa with multiple entries.
But I guess, the Non O - Visa with an additional extension is the simplest (and cheapest) solution. The financial requirements I would fulfil.
Thank you for your help, to figure out the right Visa for me.

48 minutes ago, Stocki said:

But I guess, the Non O - Visa with an additional extension is the simplest (and cheapest) solution. The financial requirements I would fulfil

The non O with annual extensions based on retirement would make sense if it was to be ongoing 6 month stays every year.

You could obtain reentry permit each year and do your extension each year upon return.

Other than that don't think it's best option.

As the saying goes "up to you" 

• Like 2

@DrJack54
Sorry for bother you again.

For this:

On 7/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, DrJack54 said:

This has financials requirements.

you not mean the financial requirements for the Non O-A (Long Stay 1 year), right? That would be:
Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB or having the current balance of 800,000 THB.

What is this 90 Day Report about, that I read in other posts? Do I have to do something about this too?

25 minutes ago, Stocki said:

@DrJack54
Sorry for bother you again.

For this:

you not mean the financial requirements for the Non O-A (Long Stay 1 year), right? That would be:
Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB or having the current balance of 800,000 THB.

What is this 90 Day Report about, that I read in other posts? Do I have to do something about this too?

When I stated "has financial requirements" I was referring to obtaining a non O and subsequent 12 month extension.

As I mentioned couple of times in thread I think there are better options.

Lot depends on your longer term plans.

Is this 6 month stay in Thailand plan to be ongoing.

6 in Thailand 6 somewhere else.

Outline your plan and think you will obtain better suggestions. 

Regarding your 90 day report. Worry about that later.

It's a minor thing. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

6 in Thailand 6 somewhere else.

Yes, my future plan is 6-8 month in Thailand, and the rest of the year in Germany.
About the solution with the Tourist Visa and a Visa run to eg. Vientiane...
Coz of my health I can not travel too much around. That's why I would like to get a non-O and that's why my question at the beginning, whether I have to apply for a single entry or multiple entry Non-O Visa for my 6 months in Thailand.

I have always asked my questions politely. Why does your answer sound so harsh now? 

If I already knew everything about this type of visa, I wouldn't need to ask any questions here. Unfortunately, I can't reach the consulate in Frankfurt by phone and by email I always get different answers which have nothing to do with the matter at hand.

8 minutes ago, Stocki said:

That's why I would like to get a non-O and that's why my question at the beginning, whether I have to apply for a single entry or multiple entry Non-O Visa for my 6 months in Thailand.

A non O retirement visa gives you a 90 day stamp.

You can obtain the non O in own country or inside Thailand from tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

In the last 30 days of that permit you apply for a 12 month extension.

There are financial requirements.

Being from Germany you can use income method or money in bank method.

When you refer to a multiple entry you are referring to non O-A.

That visa gives you a one year permission of stay every time you enter Thailand durning the one year life of the visa.

Previously this would be very good option for you.

However it comes with an insurance requirement and for many that has made it less appealing.

With the non O and annual extensions you would need to be in Thailand each year to apply for your extension. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, Stocki said:

Yes, my future plan is 6-8 month in Thailand, and the rest of the year in Germany.
About the solution with the Tourist Visa and a Visa run to eg. Vientiane...
Coz of my health I can not travel too much around. That's why I would like to get a non-O and that's why my question at the beginning, whether I have to apply for a single entry or multiple entry Non-O Visa for my 6 months in Thailand.

I don't think you can get a multiple entry non-o visa for retirement at the embassy or one of the official consulates in Germany. If you did get one you would have to leave and reenter the country every 90 days to get new 90 day stay from it.

It seems your best option is to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You would have to be here when every year to apply for a new extension of stay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think you can get a multiple entry non-o visa for retirement at the embassy or one of the official consulates in Germany. If you did get one you would have to leave and reenter the country every 90 days to get new 90 day stay from it.

It seems your best option is to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You would have to be here when every year to apply for a new extension of stay.

Just a FWIW. The London Thai embassy does not list the multi entry Non-O visa on the website. However they still issue them. I know of a recent case of one being issued with no special treatment.

So it is perfectly possible that the German Thai embassy will also issue that visa.

If @stocchi can get the ME Non-O that is his best option 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However they still issue them. I know of a recent case of one being issued with no special treatment.

How was that applied for?

London has been on the E-visa platform since 2019 and the ME option has never been available for Non O retirement or marriage from E-visa. Are you sure it wasn't O-A.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

When you refer to a multiple entry you are referring to non O-A.

I think, this is the point of our misunderstandings, @DrJack54!

On the website of the Thai embassies in Berlin and Frankfurt they say, that you can apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" (retirement) Visa for single- or for multiple entry.
Non-Immigrant-O "Retirement"

The Non-Immigrant "O-A" is a different one with much higher financials requirements.
Non-Immigrant-O-A "Long Stay"

So for me it seems that it would be a good option, if I could get that Non-O with multiple entries. After 90 days I have to do a Visa-Run for the next 90 day stamp, same like @ubonjoe sayed, and maybe this I also can do at a local Immigration. But I have to see what will be possible in the e-visa platform.

Edited by Stocki

Okay I just got my retirement visa stamp for 90 days. They said to come up to a month before to apply for the 1 year stay. Do I just need to bring the TM 47, bank letter and updated passbook? Or do I need to have all the documents like when I first applied and got approved? It’s been pretty easy so far I just don’t want to screw up the last step. Thanks ???? 

2 minutes ago, jcmj said:

Okay I just got my retirement visa stamp for 90 days. They said to come up to a month before to apply for the 1 year stay. Do I just need to bring the TM 47, bank letter and updated passbook? Or do I need to have all the documents like when I first applied and got approved? It’s been pretty easy so far I just don’t want to screw up the last step. Thanks ???? 

You will need a completed TM7 extension application form. And about all the same documents you needed for the non-o visa application. No need for the proof the 800k baht came from abroad is needed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stocki said:

So for me it seems that it would be a good option, if I could get that Non-O with multiple entries. After 90 days I have to do a Visa-Run for the next 90 day stamp,

That is correct and if your stay was over 6 months (you indicated 6-8 months) you would require 2 border runs.

You indicated not preferred option due to health.

You would need to exit Thailand twice. 

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

How was that applied for?

London has been on the E-visa platform since 2019 and the ME option has never been available for Non O retirement or marriage from E-visa. Are you sure it wasn't O-A.

You will have to contact him yourself he is user samster on udonmap. His comment was

No specific requirements were mentioned. There was an option to apply for multi entry on the application form and, I figured I might as well try for it. 

I've returned twice on it since.(March)

https://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/viewtopic.php?p=654538&sid=5a00cc084b9d4204fad37de53a70405b#p654538

On 7/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, DrJack54 said:

A non O based on retirement can be obtained in your country or you can obtain a non O after entering thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa.

A non O gives you 90 day permission of stay.

Prior to expiry you can obtain a 12 month extension.

This has financials requirements. 

Won't outline now. 

For a 6 month stay I think there are better options than what you are planning.

You could obtain a METV or even a SETV.

With a single entry tourist visa you would be stamped in for 60 days and that can be extended by 30 days.

You could then do a visa run to eg Vientiane and obtain another tourist visa and extend.

That gives 6 month stay. 

He's German. Depends on if he's retired with a pension over 65000 THB. The embassy will give him a letter confirming that - he won't need the 800k from what I can gather. The non-O in Germany only needs 1200 EUR pension proof interestingly enough. At least that's what the website says.

8 hours ago, Stocki said:

Unfortunately, I can't reach the consulate in Frankfurt by phone and by email I always get different answers which have nothing to do with the matter at hand.

I hope that's not a hint of what I can expect when I apply ... what about the embassy in Berlin? tried that?

5 hours ago, BusyB said:

He's German. Depends on if he's retired with a pension over 65000 THB. The embassy will give him a letter confirming that - he won't need the 800k from what I can gather

I mentioned that option in previous post.......

"There are financial requirements.

Being from Germany you can use income method or money in bank method."

@BusyB

14 hours ago, BusyB said:

I hope that's not a hint of what I can expect when I apply ... what about the embassy in Berlin? tried that?

Yes, I contacted Berlin also, but Berlin always just send me to Frankfurt. More than 2 month I sent emails to both embassies, but never got an information which visa I have to apply for. Both embassies just say, I should look at their websites. So crazy!

Edited by Stocki

@DrJack54

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That is correct and if your stay was over 6 months (you indicated 6-8 months) you would require 2 border runs.

Right, but for this time I only go nearly 6 month. And for the Visa-Run the information from the embassies website say, it will be possible to extend at the immigration office in Thailand.

You see, in 2 embassies in Germany or also here in the forum you get a lot of different informations, that in the end you don't know what you have to do.
And all this for a simple question at the beginning.

Edited by Stocki

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I mentioned that option in previous post.......

"There are financial requirements.

Being from Germany you can use income method or money in bank method."

Sorry, maybe you meant that with income method.

Edited by BusyB

28 minutes ago, Stocki said:

@BusyB

Yes, I contacted Berlin also, but Berlin always just send me to Frankfurt. More than 2 month I sent emails to both embassies, but never got an information which visa I have to apply for. Both embassies just say, I should look at their websites. So crazy!

Oh dear. I'll keep the forum posted about my experiences.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

I want to apply for a Non-O (retirement), multiple entries at the Thai Embassy in Berlin and this is what their website says about the requirements with regard to financials and health insurance. 

"In addition, please upload to item 8. proof of overseas health insurance in 
English or Thai (2 documents in one file), which includes the following requirements 
includes high:
- valid for the entire stay in Thailand
- minimum coverage of 40.000 Thai Baht (or 1.300 Euro) for outpatient treatment
- Minimum coverage of 400,000 Thai Baht (or 13,000 Euro) for inpatient treatment (inpatient)

Financial evidence (A copy of pension statement or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least 5.000 EUR."

3 years ago there was no health insurance requirement. Now it's needed for the whole duration of your stay in Thailand,  3 months single entry - one year multiple entries.

This might be a deal breaker for Stocki going the Non-O visa way as he says he's not in good health.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

You will have to contact him yourself he is user samster on udonmap. His comment was

https://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/viewtopic.php?p=654538&sid=5a00cc084b9d4204fad37de53a70405b#p654538

Of no concern to me but you should be more specific in your statements if you do not know what kind of Non O was issued.

"Just a FWIW. The London Thai embassy does not list the multi entry Non-O visa on the website. However they still issue them. I know of a recent case of one being issued with no special treatment."