Overstay stamp in passport.

Friend was 7 days overstay when he last time leave Thailand. He's first overstay ever. Reason was covid hassle whit canceled flight's (totally 4 flight's).

Do he get any problem to enter back LOS when coming now back?

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why post this stuff.

The chap in question has ZERO issue.

Its a minimal overstay.

OP your friend can enter thailand no problem.

Good to see senior members calling out others on their misleading comments!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You are obviously fully cognisant of his friend's prior history in Thailand, especially as a tourist

Skip it. Long statement about nothing.

From the OP....

"Reason was covid hassle whit canceled flight's (totally 4 flight's)"

My guess is some time since many flight cancellations.

In any event the OP asked very simple question.

You just clouded the situation. 

On ignore best option. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Zero issue. 

In life, with a vast amount of experience, I've learned zero, always, never, sure, every..... can be wrong more often than not.

We all know each officer looks at things slightly different, so which officer will he get? oh, we don't know.  Has anyone ever been rejected because of an overstay stamp before?  oh, we don't know.   we can guess that number is low, but not as zero.   anything is possible, and it seems like the OP just wants us all to reassure him with our guesses.   As if we have any significant amount of experience with overstay stamps at airports that get 40 million people in a busy year; however, we have some falang friends and we read the threads.

95% OK all other things considered (dresses well, respectful, etc..)   

5%   (insert calamity) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

I've learned zero, always, never, sure, every..... can be wrong more often than not.

The OP asked a specific question regarding the 7 day overstay stamp.

He did not mention concern or ask questions about eg back to back visa exempt entries etc.

The overstay stamp has nothing to do with the op,s friend being admitted to thailand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The overstay stamp has nothing to do with the op,s friend being admitted to thailand.

... except when it does. Everyone agrees that a single short overstay is not an issue in isolation. However, as part of an overall immigration history as a tourist, it can sometimes be used against you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would add "nothing" to my list.

I'm sure EVERY country reserves the right to deny anyone for whatever reason, and I can't imagine you are in the mind of a zillion officers who rejected people.  An overstay stamp might have went into one of their minds at one point, are you saying that's never happened ever?

18 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

An overstay stamp might have went into one of their minds at one point, are you saying that's never happened ever

What's your point.

The OP was very brief.

His friend has ONE overstay stamp of 7 days. 

That in itself will not cause an issue.

The immigration officer may be interested in several back to back tourist visas along with visa exempt entries. 

The OP did not mention friends history of stays. 

He did not mention if friend plans to return visa exempt or with SETV.

The overstay is not an issue. 

• Like 1

OP, 

if it is 1 or 2 times.. its most likely no problem as @DrJack54mentioned also. I had 2 time overstay on my passport and non issues so far. I think this is the answer you need.

But as @BritTim mentioned if this becomes a habit and often thing, there will be some issues soon or later. I had a friend with serious amount of overstays just because he was lazy to do his runs finally rejected from Vientiane for getting a visa, and they told him to go back to his country and try the Thai embassy there. But of course i dont know the exact number, i believe he had more than 10 times overstay. Not for long days, probably 3-4 days.

9 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The comment of the senior member is the one that is misleading, it can indeed cause issues on arrival if you come without a visa, specially at don muang airport. Even they will usually still let you in again after hassle the person in question.

That aside, yeah in general it is not any issue obviously, most times. I recommend a tourist visa when entering regardless.

Many countries can come to Thailand for 30 days on a visa exempt stamp, so, no, you do not need a tourist visa.

I can see a lot of posters here going on ignore for daring to post opinions other than that expressed by certain egos.

First line Immigration officers world wide can, and often do, examine a travelers history of entry and stay in their country to decide if entry will again be allowed. Countries like Canada, US, Australia and Britain are particularly wary of people using tourist visas for long stay.  

Of course entry to Thailand is much easier than to those first world countries and the likelihood of a close examination is minimal. 

Further to my post above, the fact that someone decided to put an overstay stamp in his passport is relevant, and may cause closer inspection.

You never know what notes are written in the immigration computer about the pax.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Of course entry to Thailand is much easier than to those first world countries and the likelihood of a close examination is minimal. 

Since the OP,s friend is asking about entering thailand the preamble regarding "first world countries" is irrelevant.

On 7/24/2022 at 3:39 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

The comment of the senior member is the one that is misleading, it can indeed cause issues on arrival if you come without a visa, specially at don muang airport. Even they will usually still let you in again after hassle the person in question.

That aside, yeah in general it is not any issue obviously, most times. I recommend a tourist visa when entering regardless.

Even with a visa, entry to Thailand isn't guaranteed, the final decision is up to the IO.

I doubt that this guy will have a problem with one short overstay though.

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I doubt that this guy will have a problem with one short overstay though.

I absolutely agree, if that is the only red flag that turns up in his immigration history.

There are a number of factors, usually, involved if an immigration officer decides to deny entry other than pursuant to Section 12 of the Immigration Act (especially if entering with a visa). For instance, arriving at immigration dirty, dishevelled and smelling of drink will not, by itself, get you denied entry (though it might have 30 years ago). However, it might well be the deciding factor if there are other negatives in his immigration history.

Based on experiences over the last few years, currently, the most important factor, when entering as a tourist, is now much time you have spent over the last year or so in Thailand as a tourist. Second, is whether you have a history of overstays. 

EDIT: I should have added that all the above generally applies only when entering by air and (if holding a visa) only at certain airports.

Edited by BritTim

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

I absolutely agree, if that is the only red flag that turns up in his immigration history.

There are a number of factors, usually, involved if an immigration officer decides to deny entry other than pursuant to Section 12 of the Immigration Act (especially if entering with a visa). For instance, arriving at immigration dirty, dishevelled and smelling of drink will not, by itself, get you denied entry (though it might have 30 years ago). However, it might well be the deciding factor if there are other negatives in his immigration history.

Based on experiences over the last few years, currently, the most important factor, when entering as a tourist, is now much time you have spent over the last year or so in Thailand as a tourist. Second, is whether you have a history of overstays. 

EDIT: I should have added that all the above generally applies only when entering by air and (if holding a visa) only at certain airports.

They 'don't like the cut of your jib'. They probably don't even need to give a reason.

I remember talking on this subject 15+ years ago with an old friend. As he said, if the IO flicks through your passport and finds ovestays almost on every other page (I had another old friend who was the overstay-king!), he might take a dim view. Also if you've submitted the passport to aThai embassy for a visa. And this was in the days before time spent in Thailand really became an issue.

I probably have 2 or 3 overstay stamps over a 20 year period.