Needless death of a Thai teen whose friend was on the phone on a bike: So many questions about the Thai roads

webfact

47 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

I actually agree with you, in that according to Thai law I was wrong. But what I learned, stupendously, was that motorcyclists have special protection as long as they remain on the shoulder.  They can act with a certain righteous impunity and be morally right, but tragically wrong if injured…or worse. It’s time for these people to grow up, for far tougher traffic laws to be enacted and for violators to be swiftly punished. Until then, this country will continue to rank high among those rated as the most dangerous places to drive. 

I'm not sure what your saying.

Do you believe your actions were correct. ?

but the law protected this guy because he was on a motor bike on what we call the hard shoulder. ? :jap:

2 hours ago, Orinoco said:

I'm not sure what your saying.

Do you believe your actions were correct. ?

but the law protected this guy because he was on a motor bike on what we call the hard shoulder. ? :jap:

At the time, yes, I thought I was right. Now that I understand the law it won’t happen again because no matter how many unthinking, witless motorcycle drivers I encounter in the future out there, you can be sure I will yield to each and every one. But in the back of my mind I have to ask…when will it dawn on these people that they can be needlessly hurt or killed even though they are legally right. When do Thai motorcycle drivers start to drive more responsibly and stop placing their lives in someone else’s hands?  I rode cycles as a lad growing up in the US and it was drummed into me from the start to operate my bike as if everyone was out to kill me. We need more of this kind of thinking here. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MikeN said:

Last week I was in the narrow rural soi out the front of our place when i saw a girl of about 15 coming home from school on her scooter, she had her phone in hand in  front of her face so either taking a selfie or reading a text. Hit a pothole a few meters behind me and lost control, luckily she went right and into a flooded rice paddy and not left into a brick wall. She was n't hurt but worried about her phone somewhere in the rice paddy.

I think she will do the same thing again in a busy street because she was unhurt in the accident.

Only when a serious accident occur will these people wake up to reality.

Backward thinking!  The brain isn't fully developed until well into their twenties from studies reason insurance cost more at a younger age. 

Thailand made a decision to allow kids to ride bikes so the can go to sleep school but the lack of oversight in control allows this exception to go far far above the intent. Authorities force at a age you need to obtain a license through a learning and testing minimum process but give a complete pass to children.  While phones today has become an addiction this was coming and happening for sometime not surprising when they say wrong they don't have a clue.

Because of that the Factory of death from schools will continue. 

38 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

Get off the phone and focus on the road. Sorted.

My wife and I have tried to convince our younger nieces and nephews to stop using their phone while driving any vehicle. But you can’t tell a young Thai…so driven by peer pressure and FOMO…to stop such a dangerous practice until it hits at someone close to them.  It’s exactly the same in the US with teens who text while driving. They’re being slaughtered on the highways.  My biggest problem though is getting my Thai wife to ignore an incoming call, instantly dropping everything the second her phone rings, as if a major emergency will happen if she dares to ignore it. But that’s another worthy topic by itself. 

IMO anyone caught driving a motorcycle while on phone should immediately have license suspended minimum 3 months and safety course completed before reissue license and confiscate moto min 3 months. 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, Greg O said:

What's the punishment or fine for a DWA offense ? Does a mask prevent it from spreading ? 

DWA ...Driving While Asian ..

Your inane obsession with masks is tedious!

• Thanks 1