Are Visa runs possible as they once were

Back before Covid closed the borders, I used to get three 2-month Tourist Visas for my annual 6 month visit to Thailand. Every 2 months I would (do a "visa run") cross the border into Myanmar (Mae Sai) or Laos (Vientiane) and return to Thailand to begin the next 2-month segment.

Is it possible to do that now?

Thanks.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Why do you need three 2-month visas if you can extend each visa by 1 month and have a 6-month stay with just 2 visas?

Since he mentions Mae Sai, I do not think he is using visas. I think he is doing border bounces for visa exempt entries (initial one by air followed by two by land).

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Most land borders have reopened already, but with the ones at the Myanmar border, they still seem to be closed (at least to those who haven't obtained a visa to enter Myanmar). Border runs to Laos, on the other hand, work fine.

That's good news. Thank you.

6 hours ago, problemfarang said:

well.. if you are a common visitor, why dont you try to get the proper visa instead of visa runs? why abusing the system? So people doing things here to the book needs to do more things because of these kind of things you are trying to do?

He does have a proper visa. Its called a multi-entry tourist visa (METV) that is good for 180 days subject to you doing a visa run to the border at maximum 60 day intervals. I would like an answer on that one too because that is how I spent my winters in Thailand pre-covid.

Edited by Canadian Snowbird
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Haveasay said:

I posted recently about my border run to Laos, which took an hour that day. I spoke to an agent on arrival who informed me from Pattaya, no mini van visa runs, ATM. Then arranged flights, as dislike long bus trips, to Udon, with a few nights stay, in the event of a forced night in Vientiane. I got strange responses about, over and back, but kept moving, window to window. Luckily had buses leaving both checkpoints. No waiting. 25 baht over, 35 baht back. Good luck whatever you do.

More good information. I'm looking to find an "open" border crossing closer to Chiang Mai, and also to know the official Thai Immigration position on these Tourist Visa renewals (renewals-via-border-run) we used to take for granted.

I appreciate your input. Everything I get on this forum is a help.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

He does have a proper visa. Its called a multi-entry tourist visa (METV) that is good for 180 days subject to you doing a visa run to the border at maximum 60 day intervals. I would like an answer on that one too...

I'm wondering how you're certain that he's on an METV. Although he doesn't state so, he appears to be asking about obtaining a new visa exempt or permission to stay. Additionally the METV isn't exactly cheap. As to your question, I just completed my 2nd exit/reentry. Nothing easier. First was to Malaysia, second to Vietnam, with no complications. Just make sure to scrutinize your stamp to make sure the next expiry is 60 days.

9 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

I'm wondering how you're certain that he's on an METV. Although he doesn't state so, he appears to be asking about obtaining a new visa exempt or permission to stay. Additionally the METV isn't exactly cheap. As to your question, I just completed my 2nd exit/reentry. Nothing easier. First was to Malaysia, second to Vietnam, with no complications. Just make sure to scrutinize your stamp to make sure the next expiry is 60 days.

It is indeed a Multi-entry permit with three Tourist Visas I'm talking about. I figured that would be obvious from the wording in my original post. My usual method involves getting three two-month Tourist Visas and a 1900 baht Multiple Entry Permit and then using all three visas consecutively in order to stay in Thailand for 6 months total. I'm looking for a way to do that scenario by land, not air, and preferably in northern Thailand rather than the far south or Issan. .

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Really?

I am wondering what country you are in, let alone what planet.

????????????

Huh? I use a motorcycle to ride all over Thailand, which has some of the best motorcycling in the world. But that's totally beside the point. I'm asking about visa runs, not whether you consider motorcycling a worthwhile pastime in LOS.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The multi-entry tourist visa is a PiTA to get now.  They want an itinerary for each exit/entry beforehand including pre-purchased tickets.  If you plan to do land border runs I am not sure if attaching a note explaining that would suffice.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

The multi-entry tourist visa is a PiTA to get now.  They want an itinerary for each exit/entry beforehand including pre-purchased tickets.  If you plan to do land border runs I am not sure if attaching a note explaining that would suffice.

Yikes! Sounds like a slightly different take on the horrendous Thailand Pass system we had to deal with last year. Let's hope this ridiculous requirement goes away soon too.

41 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You will also need to develop a thick skin if posting here, as some members consider it terrible that you stay here for fun longer than a few weeks a year.

I honestly don't care if those members approve or not. I love being in Thailand and hope Immigration will someday wise up and allow people like me to stay for six months without such a big hassle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Staying six months per year on visa exempt entries (in the manner implied by the OP) should be possible. If trying to stay more than six months out of the year, you should avoid airports, entering by land, and find friendly embassies/consulates who will give you visas. You will also need to develop a thick skin if posting here, as some members consider it terrible that you stay here for fun longer than a few weeks a year.

They are just jealous.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

But that's totally beside the point. I'm asking about visa runs, not whether you consider motorcycling a worthwhile pastime in LOS.

Then why did you bother writing about it in the first place. I was riding a bike when I was six. I was into dirt biking at the age of 12 and I got my first Harley at 27. So in your face. If you think biking in Thailand is glorious then we haven't seen the same potholes nor have we encountered the same drivers. You must have some Homer Simpson 'Duff Beer' goggles on if you think motorcycling is nice here. I rather drive in my BMW, or my pick up than on my motorcycle... and yes I still have one.

Edited by Pouatchee