Thai Marijuana Act Consideration Committee rejects petitions for suspension of decriminalization, addresses concerns

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok – The Marijuana Act Consideration Committee has thanked the medical personnel of Ramathibodi Hospital and various groups like Islamic organizations in the South of Thailand

why have they thanked them?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Translation : we have all put money in the weed growing business

Many people outside of government have invested millions in building 'grow houses' it's to late to stop it now, and they were built long before weed was made legal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Many people outside of government have invested millions in building 'grow houses' it's to late to stop it now, and they were built long before weed was made legal.

Yes, some nine million Thais registered as (potential, not claiming all of these have a solid business plan) growers via the PlookGanja app/web site.

I feel (right now) like personal use may survive, but with quite a few restrictions. Of course if someone goes on a murderous rampage and they are said to have been high on Cannabis then we can kiss that goodbye.

The CCA simply empowers the formation of other control mechanisms, from a few dozen government agnecies. At least that's what a version of the first draft I read said. It is then up to those agencies, boards to issue regulations on anything from seed to sale and beyond.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This followed Thailand’s Forensic Medical Association’s statement on Sunday, July 24th, which listed the names of 851 representatives from resident doctors, medical teachers, and medical alumni of the Faculty of Medicine at Ramathibodi Hospital to urge the government to immediately shut down the law-free status.

Doubtless many of those 851 would have been obliged/pressured into signing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes, some nine million Thais registered as (potential, not claiming all of these have a solid business plan) growers via the PlookGanja app/web site.

I feel (right now) like personal use may survive, but with quite a few restrictions. Of course if someone goes on a murderous rampage and they are said to have been high on Cannabis then we can kiss that goodbye.

The CCA simply empowers the formation of other control mechanisms, from a few dozen government agnecies. At least that's what a version of the first draft I read said. It is then up to those agencies, boards to issue regulations on anything from seed to sale and beyond.

I can  guarantee 100%  that regardless of legislation, personal recreational use will continue, as it has for thousands of years. Anybody hoping it won't will be bitterly disappointed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

A lot of countries went own this path of decriminalization of Cannabis already and have no problems at all ...

In Thailand the problem is more the use of Yaba , Ice , Methamphetamines than Cannabis . By legalizing Cannabis , the ' authorities ' did a little step to reduce the amount of illegal chemical drugs taken . A good thing .

The medical benefits of Marihuana , ( prevention of cancer and reduction of stress levels that can lead to psychological disorder etc ) , especially when used in tea , food etc , far outweigh the dangers .

Anyway , who wants it , gets it , illegal or not .

The government got it right , It creates an aditional source of income for the people of Thailand . And for the country as well .

Well said - exactly my thoughts.

The war on drugs is a war on the people and a proven cause of police corruption.

In the drama about bent Baltimore cops: 'We own this city' there is a brilliant  speech by police investigator lamenting the damage done by the war on drugs that can only be reversed by political will for decriminalisation. I hail the actions of the Thai authorities for committing to NOT imprisoning people for cannabis  use. Canada, Germany, Spain, Malta are also to be applauded. Not the UK which remains mired in hypocrisy and ignorance.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Not forgetting of course taxation. But one major advantage has been to reduce the prison population.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Committee Chairman Supachai Jaisamut responded Monday, July 25th, that the Ministry of Public Health has always prioritized public safety and issued an announcement to protect public health, especially for teenagers under the age of 20.

Works well on the roads.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The war on drugs is a war on the people and a proven cause of police corruption.

In the drama about bent Baltimore cops: 'We own this city' there is a brilliant  speech by police investigator lamenting the damage done by the war on drugs that can only be reversed by political will for decriminalisation. I hail the actions of the Thai authorities for committing to NOT imprisoning people for cannabis  use. Canada, Germany, Spain, Malta are also to be applauded. Not the UK which remains mired in hypocrisy and ignorance.

In all those countries you mentioned, Canada, Germany, Spain and Malta, you can still get jailed if you break the cannabis laws they have in place. There is a reason is not a free for all. 

• Haha 1

The other unstated reason for decriminalisation was to reduce the prison population after a highly negative report from the US on Thai prison overcrowding. It's one very good reason they won't reverse it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaiHard said:

The other unstated reason for decriminalisation was to reduce the prison population after a highly negative report from the US on Thai prison overcrowding. It's one very good reason they won't reverse it.

It's mainly women who make up the Thai  prison population and mainly for drug linked offenses. Its terrible damaging to put people in prison- more damaging than drugs!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

In all those countries you mentioned, Canada, Germany, Spain and Malta, you can still get jailed if you break the cannabis laws they have in place. There is a reason is not a free for all. 

well don't keep us is suspense "sir"   please enlighten us

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Other countries that have legalized cannabis also put laws in place first, this is what it’s all about, Thailand forgot that bit.

Other than keep out of the reach of children what more could you possibly want?    Do  you object to it being sold on budda days for example ?   

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Perhaps but imprisonment for possession is no longer the norm. I'm sure you agree that is the good thing. And you have to be doing something very extreme to be jailed. My friends in Portugal tell me the compulsory re education classes for cannabis  law breakers are worse than jail time! Lol. But I'm sure you agree with me nobody should  be put in prison for recreational drug use. If a person has an addiction then they are ill and need medical  help. If they are not addicted and not ill then what they are doing is not your business,  my business or the business of the police or the state.

The war on drugs is a war on the  people instigated by the corrupt ex President Nixon.

This is not about the war on drugs and my views on the very real dangers of heroin and amphetamine class hard drugs are very different to that of cannabis which is what this is about.

My point was you claimed hey do not jail people in those countries, which is wrong, they do. Why? because they have laws in place so that it’s not a free for all. Yes they have indeed reduced the need for jail time which is a good thing but here are just a few examples of some basic laws that can still land you in jail if you break them.

Canada - You can get 5 years with having over the legal limit which happens to be 50 grams

Germany - Selling cannabis can land you with up to 2 years

Malta - The possession of more than 4 cannabis plants, more than 50 grams possession can also land you with jail time

But there are many more, that’s just a tiny example. How I see it here the big benifit is for medical use, people can order online for their discomfort rather than have to visit a hospital. They do however need to sort out this online ordering to stop the under 20’s getting hold of it this way. A simple click to confirm your over 20 is not enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

A lot of countries went own this path of decriminalization of Cannabis already and have no problems at all ...

In Thailand the problem is more the use of Yaba , Ice , Methamphetamines than Cannabis . By legalizing Cannabis , the ' authorities ' did a little step to reduce the amount of illegal chemical drugs taken . A good thing .

The medical benefits of Marihuana , ( prevention of cancer and reduction of stress levels that can lead to psychological disorder etc ) , especially when used in tea , food etc , far outweigh the dangers .

Anyway , who wants it , gets it , illegal or not .

The government got it right , It creates an aditional source of income for the people of Thailand . And for the country as well .

You forgot the main cause of more problems than any drug - alcohol. Otherwise well said!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Very unusual taking cannabis only would result in a 'murderous rampage'. Peace and quiet more likely. However, as you suggest, it's easy to allege a violent offender was on cannabis even if they weren't.

Edited by Thingamabob