A closer look at the new education bill that will shape the future of Thailand

webfact

On 7/27/2022 at 9:39 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you converse with the Teachers in the Thai language  ?

- Maybe he does.

- Maybe his wife talks with the teachers?

- If the children have good English from home immersion and outside of school tuition, maybe they help dad to talk to the teachers.

• Like 1

I think the thread went into slightly wrong direction and rather "can you speak Ingliz" instead of "why farang teachers can make a sentence in thai". 

Complete nonsense : foreigner with a "clicker" switching through PowerPoint presentation talking about let's say basic astronomy: stars, constellations, black holes, event horizon, gravitational pull and <del> like that.

None even listen to him for 2 reasons: his using terms that are completely unknown to kids and he is unable to explain using thai language. Well the third reason is he doen't know much about it too, but lets stick to 2 reasons ))) 

It was waste of time and well money we paid. 

Just now, NativeBob said:

I think the thread went into slightly wrong direction and rather "can you speak Ingliz" instead of "why farang teachers can make a sentence in thai". 

Complete nonsense : foreigner with a "clicker" switching through PowerPoint presentation talking about let's say basic astronomy: stars, constellations, black holes, event horizon, gravitational pull and <del> like that.

None even listen to him for 2 reasons: his using terms that are completely unknown to kids and he is unable to explain using thai language. Well the third reason is he doen't know much about it too, but lets stick to 2 reasons ))) 

It was waste of time and well money we paid. 

You do not teach English by using the ThaI language to explain the word or item being taught.  You use props, you use actual items and you instruct on the word using sight pictures as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

- Maybe he does.

- Maybe his wife talks with the teachers?

- If the children have good English from home immersion and outside of school tuition, maybe they help dad to talk to the teachers.

We've had the opposite experience; my Thai son looks very tThai (very handsome), never know he has a farang father.

A few times he's been to his daughters schools and told the office staff he wants to speak to teacher xxx (farang).

Teacher comes at agreed time etc., farang teachers quick reaction:

- 'but I can't speak Thait'.

- Son's instant response in perfect English 'OK, can you speak English?'

All in the room initially freeze, then my Thai son continues to talk, in full English, to tell the teacher why he's come to school. 

My son's grade six French class in the West had a teacher who could not speak French. He can't speak French either. I really have nothing to say on this topic but just wanted to relay that....sorry.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 12:18 PM, moogradod said:

That's impressive. I  think that in many countries there are dialects that are so different from each other that people cannot understand each other. I noticed that once when I met a taxi driver just in front of the exit of one of Londons airports. Did not understand a thing. In Germany Plattdeutsch is so different from High German that it must be considered a different language. Incomprehensible for the rest. In Switzerland you have regional varieties of Swiss German (apart from the 4 offical languages spoken).

But isn't it that Latin belongs to only one of the language families in Europe (where Italian, French belong to) whereas the rest is different (like English, German). But I am no linguist. Just interested in languages and their differences across the globe and how different their concepts are and how different their writing.

Not sure but is Plattdeutsch the old language of Bavaria?

53 minutes ago, scorecard said:

We've had the opposite experience; my Thai son looks very tThai (very handsome), never know he has a farang father.

A few times he's been to his daughters schools and told the office staff he wants to speak to teacher xxx (farang).

Teacher comes at agreed time etc., farang teachers quick reaction:

- 'but I can't speak Thait'.

- Son's instant response in perfect English 'OK, can you speak English?'

All in the room initially freeze, then my Thai son continues to talk, in full English, to tell the teacher why he's come to school. 

My wife has a degree from overseas ( her father had his own fairly large company so cost was no problem )  and consequently has good english and has had some very good jobs for overseas companies in Thailand. She will listen to someone talking to her in what we call pidgin, or bar, english and then say, I"m not sure I understand your accent, can you say that again, or just repeat it in good english.

Always interesting to see the reaction. ????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, Thingamabob said:

The issue has always been the control of the masses by keeping them ignorant and  un-educated. It remains to be seen if this latest proposal will change anything.

agree.... they have it on their DNA , to be controlled and not asking questions and/or challenging anybody considered to be/ to have higher ranking, nothing will change

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not sure but is Plattdeutsch the old language of Bavaria?

No. Plattdeutsch is a dialect spoken in the north of Germany. Bavaria is in the south of the country. They have their own distinctive dialect, Bayrisch. If spoken to the extreme as well not easy to understand for a native German who grew up with High German, but Plattdeutsch is really like from another planet. Has its own dictionary.

Edited by moogradod

7 minutes ago, moogradod said:

No. Plattdeutsch is a dialect spoken in the north of Germany. Bavaria is in the south of the country. They have their own distinctive dialect, Bayrisch. If spoken to the extreme as well not easy to understand for a native German who grew up with High German, but Plattdeutsch is really like from another planet. Has its own dictionary.

Interesting in Germany how it changes

(north/south) in different ways. North on the train the conductor will ask for alle fartkerten bitte (spelling)?? and in the south alle billet bitte.

Edited by overherebc

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Am I thinking Prussian??

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Interesting in Germany how it changes

(north/south) in different ways. North on the train the conductor will ask for alle farkerten bitte (spelling)?? and in the south alle billet bitte.

It is "Fahrkarten". "Billet" is a term from Swiss German, I am not aware that it is used in south Germany, but could be. Maybe close to the border. Swiss German by the way is a language so different from German that in the German TV subtitles are used, although some portion of it may be understood by a native German.

I may say that I can speak Swiss German without any accent which I believe is quite rare for a German. Did sometimes invoke misuderstandings with authorities. Would be the same if you would be a foreigner but look like a Thai, speak perfect Thai and go to Immigration to ask about a renewal of a visa. In the first instance this would confuse the personnel.

Edited by moogradod

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Am I thinking Prussian??

This is indeed an ancient language, spoken in certain regions more to the east (Ostpreussen). I do not think it is spoken nowadays nor can be identified as a dialect, but I am no linguist.

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:
Announcement of Wat Don Kai Tio School.
Recruitment for temporary employees
Teacher position. 4 positions.
Position to take a qualification exam for agency work.
A. Thai language topic. Number of 1 position.
(Wage rate is 7,000 per month by subtracting 5% from social security fund)
Two. Computer topic. Number 1 position.
(Wage rate 8,500 per month by deducting 5% from the Social Security Fund)
3. 1 position in the performing arts field.
4. English box. Number 1 position.
Apply from Monday 18 - 24 July 2565
08. Recruitment location for Wat Don Kai Tio school from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Every day (except public holidays) or in the online application system (end of July 24, 2017 at 4.30 pm)
***Online application system will be open from July 18 - 24, 2017
Pre-exam on Wednesday 27 July 2565
Details

https://web.facebook.com/โรงเรียนวัดดอนไก่เตี้ย-428537670990605

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Or as they are known, agency staff!

"What qualifications do they have?"

"What qualifications do you want them to have? We have a wide variety of contacts with a number of institutions in West Africa and on the Indian subcontinent..."

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

It is "Fahrkarten". "Billet" is a term from Swiss German, I am not aware that it is used in south Germany, but could be. Maybe close to the border. Swiss German by the way is a language so different from German that in the German TV subtitles are used, although some portion of it may be understood by a native German.

I may say that I can speak Swiss German without any accent which I believe is quite rare for a German. Did sometimes invoke misuderstandings with authorities. Would be the same if you would be a foreigner but look like a Thai, speak perfect Thai and go to Immigration to ask about a renewal of a visa. In the first instance this would confuse the personnel.

My daughter looks very western, but is Thai. Her first language is Thai. People see her ( especially with me) and assume she is English. When she speaks their reaction is often very funny.

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Billet   french for ticket.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

"...I may say that I can speak Swiss German without any accent which I believe is quite rare for a German. ..."

This reminds me of a man from a down under land. Born in Germany, sent to OZ as a refugee child at about 5 years old.

Grew up to a be quite hot headed, loud anger appeared very quickly at the drop of a hat. Very determined that everythng must be exactly as he wants and on time!

Skip many decades, friends convinced him to take a holiday in Thailand. He returned to Oz already with numerous books etc., and with a solid determination to learn to read, comprehend, write and converse in perfect Thai. And he did learn the language for many years. 

He retired and moved to Thailand, all ready to immerse himself in Thai language in every situation, all day every day. 

He had no difficulty whatever to read and understand Thai newspapers,Thai textbooks, signs, and to understand what Thai people were saying, etc.

But when he spoke Thai his strong thick German accent was tangled with the Thai words. 

Very often the Thai folks he was trying to converse with said 'mai kowchai' (I don't understand) or ignored him. And the more his strong German accent got in the way he got increasingly angry and as this happened his Thai construction was missing politeness.

Further, he would tell the Thai folks that they were stupid and didn't know their own langauge, because they didn't understand him.

Eventually he started to listen to an old friend who had been trying to tell him that he was the person with a problem which was his strong thick German accent and his loudness. 

About 1 year after he arrived in Thailand he got into a severe argument with customers and staff at a Thai supermarket and the police were called. Taken to the local police station the police snr., told him to leave Thailand quickly.

A couple of days later he flew back to OZ. Never came back to Thailand.  

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

My daughter looks very western, but is Thai. Her first language is Thai. People see her ( especially with me) and assume she is English. When she speaks their reaction is often very funny.

There's a twist to that, I speak pretty good Thai, several times when I was with my Thai wife (before she passed away) and with my Thai son I would speak to the waiter etc., in pretty good Thai and continue a conversation with my family in Thai. Lots of looks 'how can this be!'

When my son met his GF we all got invited to her parents house, her aunt's houses etc.

Son's GF loved a good joke, she never told them that he BFs father was a farang. I turned up and spoke very politely to her parents / aunts in good Thai. One aunt repeated 'but I can't speak English. Son's GF said 'aunty he's speaking Thai', but she never seemed to grasp that I was speaking Thai.

I've also had the experience of turning up at a Thai family party/dinner etc., and instant panic 'but we don't have any farang food'. My wife or son or son's GF would repeat several times 'don't worry he loves / prefers Thai food. Sometimes it had to be repeated many times before the penny dropped. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Billet   french for ticket.

Correct if you look only at the writing. This is the same in French and Swiss German. But the pronounciation is different. "Billet" in Swiss German may even not only mean "Ticket" but as well "Driving License".

Languages are sometimes confusing and the source of misunderstandings. I recall the naming of one of the new Rolls Royce models years ago. They wanted to name it "White Mist". But Mist means "Dung" or "<deleted>" in German. They choose another name.

(Comment: The <deleted> came up by itself from the aseannow website)

Edited by moogradod

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"...I may say that I can speak Swiss German without any accent which I believe is quite rare for a German. ..."

This reminds me of a man from a down under land. Born in Germany, sent to OZ as a refugee child at about 5 years old.

Bad for your friend but I have no idea how this relates to my post. I have never had any troubles with anybody in any country.

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I've also had the experience of turning up at a Thai family party/dinner etc., and instant panic 'but we don't have any farang food'. My wife or son or son's GF would repeat several times 'don't worry he loves / prefers Thai food. Sometimes it had to be repeated many times before the penny dropped. 

I think that has to do with prejudices and even some sort of xenophobia (maybe). People want to put you in drawers. Many Japanese believe that foreigners must love bread and not rice. So if someone refuses bread their worldview is shattered. This simply cannot be nor do they like it to be true. "lets have some bread" they say repeatedly and in despair. After all he is a foreigner and not Japanese (thats the xenophobic part). Maybe a bit like in Thailand ? I have even heard: Do you drive in Thailand ? (thinking maybe: how strange, this guy is a foreigner and not supposed to behave like a Thai, even if it is only such a simple thing as driving). But your experience makes absolute sense and you are not alone experiencing that.

39 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Correct if you look only at the writing. This is the same in French and Swiss German. But the pronounciation is different. "Billet" in Swiss German may even not only mean "Ticket" but as well "Driving License".

Languages are sometimes confusing and the source of misunderstandings. I recall the naming of one of the new Rolls Royce models years ago. They wanted to name it "White Mist". But Mist means "Dung" or "<deleted>" in German. They choose another name.

(Comment: The <deleted> came up by itself from the aseannow website)

I believe that was the Silver Shadow changed from the Silver Mist. ????

Checkout I think it was the Pajero that isn't called that in Spain. ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I believe that was the Silver Shadow changed from the Silver Mist. ????

Checkout I think it was the Pajero that isn't called that in Spain. ????

You are right. Very funny ????

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You do not teach English by using the ThaI language to explain the word or item being taught.  You use props, you use actual items and you instruct on the word using sight pictures as well.

Agree, The Thai language should NEVER be used to explain English. Experienced professional, trained and knowledgebale English teachers know how to successfully teach English wihout using Thai (or any local language).

One of the worst western teachers I've ever encountered could write/read/speak very advanced Thai. 80+% of the time in his classroom devoted to displaying his Thai language capabilities and he wondered why the kids weren't making any progress and not attending and parents complaining. His response (excuse) was 'but how can the kids learn English if I con't explain it all in Thai?'.

the school principal told him to stop using Thai in the class room. He refused. He got sacked from several schools, left Thailand and went back to Melbourne, Australia and he got a job in an English language school in melbourne. The majority of the students were Thai. After first day most of the students complained 'We came to Melbourne to get away from Thai language, now we're  immersed in Thai again, this is not what we paid for'. Teacher sacked at end of day 1. 

• Like 1