Hernia surgery Thailand

I went to Pattaya Memorial Hospital and had a hernia surgery. I know a British guy that had one a week earlier. Both of us had our hernias come back. I went to Hawaii and got another surgery. My surgeon in Hawaii said the first surgery they used hardly any mesh. Don’t go to Pattaya Memorial Hospital!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kawikasudo said:

I went to Pattaya Memorial Hospital and had a hernia surgery. I know a British guy that had one a week earlier. Both of us had our hernias come back. I went to Hawaii and got another surgery. My surgeon in Hawaii said the first surgery they used hardly any mesh. Don’t go to Pattaya Memorial Hospital!

Thankyou very much for this, truth is I have a surgery scheduled in December at Shouldice Hernia Clinic in Toronto which as far as I know is one of the best in the world, Im just a bit impatient so wondering if Thailand offers the surgery at a similar quality level.

1 hour ago, TheLaughingMan said:

wondering if Thailand offers the surgery at a similar quality level.

The only one closest (not at par) to western standards IMHO is Bumrungrad Hospital, Bangkok.

199,000 THB for Hernia surgery.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/packages/laparoscopic-inguinal-hernia-repair-1-side

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/treatments/hernia-repair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

You chose Shouldice for non-mesh surgery and are willing to fly Thailand to Canada for it.

Why are you looking for mesh repair?

I live in Canada but will be visiting Thailand soon, not exactly sure where I will be in December.  Is mesh very bad compared to Shouldice?

5 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

I live in Canada but will be visiting Thailand soon, not exactly sure where I will be in December.  Is mesh very bad compared to Shouldice?

Read up on it!

I read up on both Shouldice and mesh, and said "No" to both.

Had 1 of the few doctors left who does non mesh repair do the operation.

Edited by JimmyJ

3 hours ago, kawikasudo said:

Well, there you have to ask for the "extra mesh" with the op, as when you order extra chicken (piset) with your chicken and rice dish.

More than fifteen years ago I had two hernias repaired, open surgery, mesh, at Queen Sirikit. No special order. They've been just fine since.????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Read up on it!

I read up on both Shouldice and mesh, and said "No" to both.

Had 1 of the few doctors left who does non mesh repair do the operation.

My hernia is pretty big, Id worry that without at least natural tissue repair like from Shouldice to reinforce it then it would reoccur later, Im VERY active.

11 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

My hernia is pretty big, Id worry that without at least natural tissue repair like from Shouldice to reinforce it then it would reoccur later, Im VERY active.

Non mesh repair IS "natural tissue" repair I believe.

I wouldn't consider Shouldice based on what I read.

Someone posted somewhere a detailed report on the total Shouldice experience.

You should be able to find it with a search but it appears you are not into doing much research.

My recollection of his account:

Horrible staff attitudes;

Horrible administration;

Poorly organized;

Outdated facilities;

Overpriced upselling extras (post op Massages);

etc.

Immediate Red Flag - One cannot choose one's doctor.

Edited by JimmyJ

31 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Non mesh repair IS "natural tissue" repair I believe.

I wouldn't consider Shouldice based on what I read.

Someone posted somewhere a detailed report on the total Shouldice experience.

You should be able to find it with a search but it appears you are not into doing much research.

My recollection of his account:

Horrible staff attitudes;

Horrible administration;

Poorly organized;

Outdated facilities;

Overpriced upselling extras (post op Massages);

etc.

Immediate Red Flag - One cannot choose one's doctor.

I seem to offend you by asking you questions, I will stop asking you, sorry about that.

Edited by TheLaughingMan
  • Like 2

Had left side hernia repair done in Australia. No insurance, so about $4,000 private, because of about 1 year waiting time. When right side went I was in Thailand. Had it done at Police General Hospital. This was about 4-5 years ago. No waiting. Not one iota of pain. Cost then, 42,000 baht.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

Had left side hernia repair done in Australia. No insurance, so about $4,000 private, because of about 1 year waiting time. When right side went I was in Thailand. Had it done at Police General Hospital. This was about 4-5 years ago. No waiting. Not one iota of pain. Cost then, 42,000 baht.

EDIT. Gore Tex mesh generally makes the repair stronger, just like rebar in concrete! You don't want recurrence. Some people are susceptible to herniation for no obvious reason.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are many past threads on this. Use google and not the forum search function which does not work well.

No advantage whatsoever in doing this in Thailand given that you live in Canada.

The problem is I might be in Thailand in December.  So it would require a flight to Canada, surgery, then a flight back.  So was just looking at options.

• Like 1