Recreational use of pot to be recriminalised as Minister warns abuses are undermining his plan

webfact

On 8/1/2022 at 10:05 AM, Bkk Brian said:

"Even observed two young girls buying a few joints, I estimated they were 16 years of age.  They then went to one of the bars sat down, ordered some sodas and sparked up"

There's one of the main worries with such easy access now to teens buying joints from unlicensed stalls that are dotted everywhere. Lets hope this mess somehow gets sorted out. 

If they were clearly underage then you could have reported them .Its illegal for under 20's  It would  surely be the most responsible thing you could have done, saving them from the horrors of the devils lettuce, and a short sharp shock might have put them back on the straight and narrow  In not doing so you might be considered as complicit by a concerned parent or similar.

would you have intervened if they had attempted to buy alcohol?

If people like you are prepared to turn a blind eye what chance does society have

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

If they were clearly underage then you could have reported them .Its illegal for under 20's  It would  surely be the most responsible thing you could have done, saving them from the horrors of the devils lettuce, and a short sharp shock might have put them back on the straight and narrow  In not doing so you might be considered as complicit by a concerned parent or similar.

If people like you are prepared to turn a blind eye what chance does society have

I didn't see this event, it was a quote from another poster. Please keep up.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, coolcarer said:

China is not Thailand 

China has been trading with Thailand for years. Many Thais have Chinese ancestors as you might have noticed with all the fireworks on Chinese New Year.  It is naive to think that smoking cannabis stopped at the Thai border until the 60's as you claim. If you did the slightest online research you would find out otherwise. 

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out under Buddhist teachings, the general population are only required to choose 3 precepts to follow.

The Five Precepts
  • Refrain from taking life. Not killing any living being. ...
  • Refrain from taking what is not given. Not stealing from anyone.
  • Refrain from the misuse of the senses. Not having too much sensual pleasure. ...
  • Refrain from wrong speech. ...
  • Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind.

It's obviously silly to suggest that as long as you don't steal, gossip, or commit adultery, you could be a serial murderer and a meth head and still be considered a good Buddhist.

I'm not pretending to be knowledgeable about Buddhism but your claim that the Five Precepts are some sort of airline menu from which to choose your moral appetizer, main entrée, and dessert is highly suspect. My understanding is that the Five Precepts are all bed stone principals of Buddhism.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:
The Five Precepts
  • Refrain from taking life. Not killing any living being. ...
  • Refrain from taking what is not given. Not stealing from anyone.
  • Refrain from the misuse of the senses. Not having too much sensual pleasure. ...
  • Refrain from wrong speech. ...
  • Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind.

It's obviously silly to suggest that as long as you don't steal, gossip, or commit adultery, you could be a serial murderer and a meth head and still be considered a good Buddhist.

How could you possibly have too much sensual pleasure? be a bit difficult when they can't even sit next to a woman on the bus. Although considering some recent stories in the news, some of them haven't been doing so bad for themselves Not to mention the ones that amass personal fortunes. 

Religion should not be involved in this or anything else for that matter

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

In my village everyone is growing it now. Old ladies are suddenly very popular, for their knowledge, as they used to grow it in the old days, before it was made illegal. I suspect a poll would have more than it's  fair share of people who think alcohol is OK, but not the demon weed. One only has to look through this forum, to see the alkies trying to put a spanner in the works! 

But then it looks like Satay when it is Thai Stick, god bless the old ladies

Thai Sticks | Grasscity Forums - The #1 Marijuana Community OnlineAuthentic Malaysian Chicken Satay Recipe and a No Peanut Peanut Sauce ...

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Are you sure they would have bought dope if it were not so easy? What makes it good that 16 year olds are smoking it for recreation in public?

They were in a  safe space. Good  16? 16 years old? Teenagers smoke dope, take acid, Es etc. And it's not your business.  Better that they are smoking dope openly than hiding under a bridge. Anyway  we have no evidence that the young adults in question  were 16. But what if they  were? It's no big deal. Just part of  growing up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Are you sure they would have bought dope if it were not so easy? What makes it good that 16 year olds are smoking it for recreation in public?

It's easy  anytime, anywhere to get dope! Grow up! 16 years old is a young adult. And what 16 year old girls do is  not your  business is it?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They were in a  safe space. Good  16? 16 years old? Teenagers smoke dope, take acid, Es etc. And it's not your business.  Better that they are smoking dope openly than hiding under a bridge. Anyway  we have no evidence that the young adults in question  were 16. But what if they  were? It's no big deal. Just part of  growing up.

"Teenagers smoke dope, take acid, Es etc. And it's not your business." 

Probably one of the most ignorant statements I've heard so far on this thread

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/1/2022 at 6:27 AM, Gecko123 said:

Last week I wrote: "I think people who are arguing "the cat's out of the bag" and that the open sale and usage of cannabis for recreational purposes is here to stay are kidding themselves. A major walk back is in the works." https://aseannow.com/topic/1267118-the-cannabis-debate-continues-but-can-thailand-control-it/?do=findComment&comment=175050682.

In hindsight it now appears that last week's Aseannow article with the headline "Anutin: No U-turn on marijuana" gave a misleading account of the government's actual position on recreational cannabis use.   https://aseannow.com/topic/1267138-anutin-no-u-turn-on-marijuana-minister-pressing-ahead-with-use-of-drug-in-two-trillion-baht-wellness-tourism/page/2/

Refraining from intoxicants which cloud the mind is one of the five Buddhist Precepts for leading a moral life. It is thus inconceivable that Thailand's Buddhist clergy isn't as equally opposed to the recreational use of cannabis as the leadership of the Islamic Committee. I suspect the only reason why Thailand's Buddhist senior leadership has not already voiced similar opposition is out of a reluctance to wade into political controversy. It only serves to foment religious bigotry to focus on the Islamic Committee's voiced opposition when everyone knows full well that recreational cannabis use is equally interdicted by Buddhist teachings.

Buddhist clergy?  Meanwhile most of the country knocking back 50 baht bottles of lao khao and 30 baht yaba tablets whilst your precious buddhist clergy buy iphones and rip off the locals ...who the hell are you trying to kid mate?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Piety never  helped anyone

1 hour ago, starky said:

Buddhist clergy?  Meanwhile most of the country knocking back 50 baht bottles of lao khao and 30 baht yaba tablets whilst your precious buddhist clergy buy iphones and rip off the locals ...who the hell are you trying to kid mate?

'Most of the country'

Simply not true.  You are exaggerating or referencing  people you know.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You gotta admit it's funny - old white fogey getting angry and self  righteous about two kids getting stoned in Bangkok!

It was me, and I was more shocked to see it openly being bought and then smoked by the two girls. Shocked as well to see many tables just set up with the buds in jars and rolled joints out in the public.  Prior to Covid as wild as Khao San was, the cannabis was sold down side alleys and out of sight.  As someone whose prior life was done working in a job being able to identify ages of individuals the two definitely were 16.  

On 8/1/2022 at 2:46 PM, Doctor Tom said:

I don't care one or the other.  My simulant  of choice, apart from sex, is alcohol., and then only in moderation.  I've never used the stuff and never seen any need to do so,  as I don't like ingesting obvious poisons, bar the beer and wine.  It's the stupidity of the authorities, their lack of consistency, forward thinking and planning that annoys me, in many areas of life,  not the actual cannabis.

Hypocritical much?

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

'Most of the country'

Simply not true.  You are exaggerating or referencing  people you know.

Poetic license not in your repetoire? So alcohol and yaba are not a problem in Thailand. ????????????????

https://www.journal.nu.ac.th/NUJST/article/view/Vol-30-No-3-2022-1-10/1993

Alcohol abuse and dependence are an increasing problem in Thailand and worldwide. In Thailand in 1985, 26% of the adult population drank alcohol and 60% of households had at least one member who drank (Institute of Population and Social Research, 1985). In 1991, 12.4 million people or 31.4% of the population aged over 14 years drank alcohol (Office of National Statistics, 1992). The majority started drinking between the ages of 15 and 19 years. Among emergency room patients of three regional hospitals in Thailand, the overall prevalence rate of alcohol problems, detected by the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT), adjusted for age and diagnostic classification, was 39% for males and 8% for females (Lapham et al., 1998).

Edited by starky