Thai Driving Licence

Griffo63

Get your ducks in a row!.  First get your medical certificate, copies of your passport pages including your extension of stay, complete the DLT online E-Learning module (takes about an hour to complete and then you get a QR code), Obtain your Certificate of Residence from Immigration, and you are good to go if you want to just pop into the DLT early in the morning and get into que here in BKK as they allow only a limited number or foreigners in.  Of course do not forget your licenses and the actual application for each license needed.

Trying to schedule an appointment in Bangkok is a loosing battle.  I was able to get one for September 30th at Taling Chan Land Transport office 2.  No luck at Chatuchack until next year, and my license expires in 4 weeks.  You can always use an agent.  BSR Bike Shop can help you for a fee which covers the DL's.

• Thanks 1

Have a similar issue getting my son's first DL. He'll finish his lessons this month, but could not get an appointment at the nearest DLT office until after he goes back to university in September.  Called around and found another DLT office that had slots available this month. You might try other DLT offices in your area.

• Thanks 1

Where do you want to renew?

I recently renewed at Chatuchak because the long appointment queue at Bang Chak.

At Chatuchak go in person with your residence certificate/passport and one can get an appoint in 3 weeks.

At Bang Chak there is a 3 month appointment waiting list.

Edited by userabcd

What a shambles! I use DLT Morchit/Chatuchak and find it hard to beleive it takes so long for a licence renewal appointment. Always just walked up and was done in a few hours. Are they still blaming Covid for delays? I stay nearby so would rather go early and wait. What time should I get there for a chance of bring seen same day? 

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

What a shambles! I use DLT Morchit/Chatuchak and find it hard to beleive it takes so long for a licence renewal appointment. Always just walked up and was done in a few hours. Are they still blaming Covid for delays? I stay nearby so would rather go early and wait. What time should I get there for a chance of bring seen same day? 

Not really a shambles, the whole system seems pretty streamlined and efficient. They are dealing with an endless line of applicant who all have to make appointment and on the day of renewal you present your original docs, they check and give you a number for your alloted time and they call you for the tests at that time.

Appointments seem to be the way govts are operating some of their services now.

Morchit/Chatuchak is busy. You can try but don't think you are going to just walkin and test and renew.

At the foreigner desk on the ground floor they want a foreigners passport and original residence certificate just to make an appointment, the man or lady at dlt then makes the appointment for time and date when they have a free spot available on their appointment calendar. Foreigners cannot make online appointments at Chatuchak/Morchit, they have to be made in person.

I saw on the appointment calendar when I selected my renewal date it was pretty full up most days in advance for 3 weeks, maybe better or worse now 1 week later.

Other testing centres in Bangkok were also fully booked 2 or 3 months in advance.

I guess the way is to plan to make an appointment at least 3 months in advance of the driving license card expiry date and at least one day after the birth date on the card to get 6 years validity.

Edited by userabcd

Last year when I had to renew I used the DLT at Taling Chan.  Went in to get an appointment, I was given one the next day.  To easy, efficient.  I walked out with a 5 year license 30 minutes later.  I had a Thai with me which helped things no end.  Not much english spoken there.

7 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

How does one get a 10 year lic?

I got mine in 2012, I passed my Thai driving test in 2011, and got a 1 year licence, then went to renew that, and was given a 10 year one in 2012. i'm not sure, but I don't think they issue them anymore. My wife (Thai) passed her car driving test, in 2018, got a one year licence then was issued a 5 year licence, in 2019. All from Phetchabun office. Hope this helps.

24 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

I got mine in 2012, I passed my Thai driving test in 2011, and got a 1 year licence, then went to renew that, and was given a 10 year one in 2012. i'm not sure, but I don't think they issue them anymore. My wife (Thai) passed her car driving test, in 2018, got a one year licence then was issued a 5 year licence, in 2019. All from Phetchabun office. Hope this helps.

That is bizarre, as they are normally issued first off as a 2 year Temporary License then upon renewal they become 5 years.  I thought all DLT's issued it the same way.  I had a license back in 2010 issued for 2 years and then never renewed it as I moved back to the US in 2012 with my now ex-wife and daughter.  When I returned here on a permanent basis in 2019 I used my ILP for 6 months and then in 2020 did the Two year temporary licenses for bot private car and motorbike which are now due to be renewed in 6 weeks for a 5 year period, maybe closer to 6 based upon when I get them issued because of when my birthday is.

31 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

You sure about a 10 year licence.....I was given a temp licence in 2007, since then had 3 x 5/6 year licences. 

5 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

@ThailandRyan  About that DLT e-module of which you speak, there is no information on the site, just sign up and begin.

What's the procedure?  You do the module, take an online test, get a QR code to show at appointment time.  Does that replace taking a test in person?

https://dlt-elearning.com/Home/Login

Sign up using the above link, do the course, very few questions to actually answer, lots of video time, takes a little more than an hour but you need to actually watch the modules if not it will time out on you. Upon completion you will be able to download the QR Code which is good for 9 months.

image.png.15594c1c26d3b9d5b10f2e0b7e4f29bf.png

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Thanks, but what is all this for?

Is it required for the appointment, or an optional time saver?

Does this replace the requirement to sit in a room playing with cellphone for an hour or so while videos are screened?

It is a requirement to do the online e-learning module.

image.png.799de9773212cd488fdbd483aa68928e.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:00 PM, MrMuddle said:

Is this the same in all provinces? One has to book an appointment ? My 10 year Thai licence expires next week.

Nope, I just walked in, took the reaction and color tests and waited 20 minutes for them to make the card. Our local is in the middle of a rice field in Chiang Rai though.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I went to the Area 3 office at Bang Chak yesterday to see if I could improve the situation.  

A very helpful officer told me that walk-ins are no longer available but was able to give me an earlier appointment based on a manual system they maintain there.  

I had to provide a copy of my ID card and driving licence to take advantage of this system.

She gave me an online link to watch the training video on "safe driving" which saves me sitting in the Area 3 office on the day watching the same video.  "Watch" the video and print off a "certificate" at the end.  

On the day, along with a copy of DL and ID my Yellow Book will serve as proof of address plus of course the required medical certificate.

Hope this helps others

• Like 1