E-Visa for Non Immigrant O - unexpected mandatory things

Hi all,

as I left Thailand two days ago to Germany I want to use the situation and change from my old Non Immigrant O-A Visa to the O Visa because I don't want to continue with the TIGA-approved health insurance.

So I have just started my first E-Visa process for Thailand at the consulate in Frankfurt/Germany.

And I checked again my process is based on the Visa-type "Non-Immigrant Visa(O)"!

Filling in the data I was surprised that there was a mandatory field for the expected flight number - that did not bother me, i could fill it. But was suprised that that information was mandatory.

But on the fourth and last step about supporting documents I got stuck right now.

There are 9 different documents required (all marked with a red star which I regard as sign for mandatory) and some of them confuse me. I hope for clarification what I have to provide:

4 . Proof of the permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted - I don't know what type of document should I bring? Is my German ID-Card with front and back side the right document (address is on the back side).

6 . Health Insurance issued by insurer with outpatient benefit of not less than 40,000 THB and inpatient benefit of not less than 400,000 THB. - OK, I got a document for that but I thought for the O Visa I don't need health insurance (or just for the extension?)

8 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency. - Is my German ID-Card with front and back side the right document (address is on the back side).

Thanks for your help

Uwe

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Are you sure you need to get an e-visa, is it not possible for you to get 30 days on arrival and work from there.

Yes, in generall an option. But as my immigration is far away from my home it needs a lot of traveling. And as my immigration isn't great about the normal process without supporting options I am afraid I will not manage in one day ... thats why I would love to sort it out online ....

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Skip all the rubbish along with insurance requirement.

Enter Thailand visa exempt or tourist visa and obtain non O retirement in Thailand. 

Yes, in generall an option. But as my immigration is far away from my home it needs a lot of traveling. And as my immigration isn't great about the normal process without supporting options I am afraid I will not manage in one day ... thats why I would love to sort it out online ....

• Like 2

4. A copy of your German passport photo page would prove that.

That is meant to be for those legal residency of Germany.

6. They started that back in 2020 when the started allowing those on retirement visas/extensions to enter the country. You only need 90 days of insurance.

8. Some kind of proof of where you are staying in Germany. The want that since the visa can be issued by the embassy in Berlin or one of the 2 official Thai consulates in Germany.

8 hours ago, bikestorm said:

It requires 2 trips to immigration to apply for the non-o visa. The first trip is to apply for the non-o visa and then again to have the visa and 90 day stay stamps done in your passport about 2 weeks later.

I did the same thing left Thailand and killed off my O-A. I got through that Non O  E-visa three months ago. Yes 8-9 unexpected ( rubbish ) questions for sure. Proof of residency <deleted> - use your ID with address or a drivers license with address, or vehicle insurance with your address, even upload your bank statement again which should have your address on it. Yes need the health Ins. for the 90 days. If cannot get through it arrive Exempt and do the Non O here as mentioned above. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It requires 2 trips to immigration to apply for the non-o visa. The first trip is to apply for the non-o visa and then again to have the visa and 90 day stay stamps done in your passport about 2 weeks later.

Is this because non-O conversions need to be approved at the divisional level in the same way as marriage extensions are?

27 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Is this because non-O conversions need to be approved at the divisional level in the same way as marriage extensions are?

Applications for all non immigrant visas require approval at the division level of immigration. That is why there is a requirement to have at least 15 day remaining on a person's permit to stay to do it.

16 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Are you sure you need to get an e-visa, is it not possible for you to get 30 days on arrival and work from there.

That's what I've decided to do for the very reasons OP posts.