Wise vs Wise Borderless Account

If you are a UK pensioner claiming to be in the UK and already have a UK bank account I would advise against closing it and opening a Wise account in it's place.   HMRC will recognise the sort code as belonging to Wise and may put two and two together.

If you do NOT have a UK bank a/c on the other hand then it may be worth trying!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DezLez said:

If you are a UK pensioner claiming to be in the UK and already have a UK bank account I would advise against closing it and opening a Wise account in it's place.   HMRC will recognise the sort code as belonging to Wise and may put two and two together.

If you do NOT have a UK bank a/c on the other hand then it may be worth trying!

I think you credit the  revenue  man with too much diligence, hopefully!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, drenddy said:

Is it cheaper&faster than the regular Wise in terms of transfer?

It certainly will not be any faster than their current transfer times of seconds, if stating that it is "general monthly living expenses"! Cannot comment on "long term" transfers!

Costs I cannot comment on but I am happy with the present fees.

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I think you credit the  revenue  man with too much diligence, hopefully!

It is easy to look up.  Wise main sort code is 231470 which is with Barclays!

I do not have a "bank account" with them so do not know which one they use for personal accounts.

10 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

I don't think there is a difference in the transfers.

The account allows you to load up and convert/hold any number of currencies.  For example, I fund the account in US dollars.  I can then convert/hol Dollars, Thai Bhat, Euros, Turkish Lira, Etc. in any amounts simultaneously in the account.  It also has a debit card that I have been very impressed with.  I have used it all over the world and on line with never a hiccup.  It also converts to the local currency with any purchase with no fees.

I am happy customer and will use internationally until it dies or something better comes along.

Would you mind giving some indication of the fees involved and when using the card in local currency do they use the "Visa" rate, the dynamic currency conversion rate or something else?

Edited by DezLez

2 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I do not have a "bank account" with them so do not know which one they use for personal accounts.

I repeat. I think you credit the  revenue  man with too much diligence unless there is a special  task force  assembled checking on and prosecuying expats which would generate more returns for the  IR than other avenues of Inquiry.

They are over worked, underresourced lacking in talent and lazy.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I think you credit the  revenue  man with too much diligence

I think you (dis)credit the  revenue  man with too much insufficient diligence!

????

Edited by DezLez

13 minutes ago, DezLez said:

It is easy but not sure what you used as every method I know, including my UK bank account, comes back with Wise Payments Ltd, which is just as well as its the sort code I send to.

7 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I think you (dis)credit the  revenue  man with too much insufficient diligence!

????

They are short of staff.  They can't afford to pay  real talent. They hire mediocrity. The real brains and talent  they do hire targets multi billion  pound tax  fraud. Not a few hundred quid from some old man who might die before the case comes to court! IF THEY CAN GET HIM  TO COURT!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

It is easy but not sure what you used as every method I know, including my UK bank account, comes back with Wise Payments Ltd, which is just as well as its the sort code I send to.

Please note that HMRC use Barclays as well!

881442344_wisesortcode.jpg.0d48b46a45b180aca0b09abfb8ce2232.jpg

Edited by DezLez

4 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I opted against it after research..  Don't remember why though.

I am the same! 

I would love more info on their " Bank Account" as a fall back.  Any time I look into it all I get is sign up screens, including £20 deposit. 

I cannot find any info on fees etc so have stopped looking at it as I am happy with my present set up.  Hence my questions re fees to @86Tiger

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I opted against it after research..  Don't remember why though.

I have just sent them an E-mail telling them about the lack of info/difficulty of finding!

I will come back with their response i.d.c I hope!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I am the same! 

I would love more info on their " Bank Account" as a fall back.  Any time I look into it all I get is sign up screens, including £20 deposit. 

I cannot find any info on fees etc so have stopped looking at it as I am happy with my present set up.  Hence my questions re fees to @86Tiger

When I transfer money from my UK account I use the wise bank in London as the receiver- what's the point in having wise  without their  bank?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DezLez said:

Would you mind giving some indication of the fees involved and when using the card in local currency do they use the "Visa" rate, the dynamic currency conversion rate or something else?

Images of the card online appear to show the Mastercard logo so their rate would be applicable unless you choose to pay in a non-local currency which would open you to DCC.

From their website:

image.png.3385d65295606634c3f82cabf31273d9.png

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, DezLez said:

I am the same! 

oh.  I did open an account there too though.  Again, can't remember what I was gonna use it for, but no harm to put $20 in.  I spent it on womething within the week and have like $1 in it now.

If one has no UK bank account and has private and occupational pensions sent direct to Thailand there is no control oveer the exchange rate. You get the TT rate on the day of arrival. With a Wise borderless account, pensions can be paid into it automatically, and moved as and when you want at the rate you are offered. There is no time limit to transfer money held in a Wise account.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

With a Wise borderless account, pensions can be paid into it automatically,

That is what Wise say, but in my experience when I tried to arrange for both my private pensions to be paid into Wise both providers refused, only one provided any form of reason why, "head office have advised that as Wise is a financial institution and not a bank, pension payments cannot be made direct to them."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/4/2022 at 3:47 PM, DezLez said:

I have just sent them an E-mail telling them about the lack of info/difficulty of finding!

I will come back with their response i.d.c I hope!

I was basically told I had to sign up to the account, pay the £20 (into my new account-not a fee as such) and then I could find out the fees and how it operated!!

No thanks!

I have UK bank accounts and will stick with using Wise to send from a UK a/c to Thailand.

I just cannot find out what, if any, are the advantages of a "Wise" account if you already have a UK High Street a/c!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

That is what Wise say, but in my experience when I tried to arrange for both my private pensions to be paid into Wise both providers refused, only one provided any form of reason why, "head office have advised that as Wise is a financial institution and not a bank, pension payments cannot be made direct to them."

That is not the fault of Wise, I have heard that some pension funds will not pay pensions to Wise - that is their prerogative

20 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I was basically told I had to sign up to the account, pay the £20 (into my new account-not a fee as such) and then I could find out the fees and how it operated!!

No thanks!

I have UK bank accounts and will stick with using Wise to send from a UK a/c to Thailand.

I just cannot find out what, if any, are the advantages of a "Wise" account if you already have a UK High Street a/c!

None really, except if you pay through Wise, you get more than if you transfer bank to bank and take TT rates.

However, one small advatage. If you have a borderless account, and top up the account first before arranging a transfer you invariably get more than you would if you transfer the money from your bank to meet the transfer charge. Not a lot, but pays for a beer or 2.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

That is not the fault of Wise, I have heard that some pension funds will not pay pensions to Wise - that is their prerogative

It depends on what/how the FCA classify them.  

As Wise say on their web site they are not a bank.

"Your Wise account is an electronic money account. It’s different from a bank account because: Your money is safeguarded and not covered by the Financial Services"

Edited by DezLez

On 8/4/2022 at 9:46 PM, treetops said:

The borderless account is now called the multi currency account.  I've never set one up as although I use Wise for transfers I have other accounts which offer me as good or better options than the Wise card.

I rarely  use the wise card but this thread isn't about the wise card. It's about the wise bank.

22 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Are you able to tell what the fees will be to send money anywhere  from your "about to be account" without actually opening it?

I cannot be bothered!

I send money TO my wise bank using their sort code and account  number. Then I convert it to the foreign  currency  of my choice, usually baht and put it  in my Thai account.

Why bank with Wise if you don't have a bank  account with them?