Bangkok-Sungai Kolok Locomotive Riddled with Bullets

snoop1130

1659603363_007992-tnamcot-e1659603380134.jpg

NARATHIWAT, Aug 4 (TNA) – The rapid train number 171 running from Bangkok to Sungai Kolok was fired with multiple shots.

Its driver and engineer were miraculously unscathed in the damaged locomotive and no one else was injured.

The incident happened to the locomotive number 4506 on the far southern track between Balo and Ruso railway stations.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-991638

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-08-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

First time I travelled across Thailand armed police were  on the train  in case of armed insurgents.

Decades back I did the Bkk to the border trip. Train staff were always very careful to ensure all carriage doors were properly locked as the train was pulling out of each station.

Many times I booked a first class cabin (actually very inexpensive). On boarding the train the guard/conductor gave us a polite detailed lecture about the dangers of insergent attacks on the train. He had a key to every first class cabin plus he gave us an additional key (not same pattern) to use to lock the door from the inside, and made it very clear 'don't unlock the door (from the inside unless you can see me on the outside of the cabin door'. And keep the windows locked at all times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Decades back I did the Bkk to the border trip. Train staff were always very careful to ensure all carriage doors were properly locked as the train was pulling out of each station.

Many times I booked a first class cabin (actually very inexpensive). On boarding the train the guard/conductor gave us a polite detailed lecture about the dangers of insergent attacks on the train. He had a key to every first class cabin plus he gave us an additional key (not same pattern) to use to lock the door from the inside, and made it very clear 'don't unlock the door (from the inside unless you can see me on the outside of the cabin door'. And keep the windows locked at all times. 

The good old days.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

First time I travelled across Thailand armed police were  on the train

When I first moved to Thailand 20 years ago, armed Thai Railway Police Officers regularly travelled on trains between Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

Thai police officer hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Railway Police Lineup at Hualamphong Railway Station Bangkok

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

When I first moved to Thailand 20 years ago, armed Thai Railway Police Officers regularly travelled on trains between Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

Thai police officer hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Railway Police Lineup at Hualamphong Railway Station Bangkok

Yes. I drank with  them all the way to CM. One gave me a knuckle duster fighting ring. When we got to CM one of them  took me to a police hotel and made sure I was safe. That was 1990.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The 'Rapid train' is one which, occasionally, exceeds 30kph and does not stop at every matchbox on the way.....

And is very reliable - it can be relied on to be 2 hours late arriving on every trip, totally reliable.

Thirty years ago I did the Hualampong (Bkk) to Chiang Mai trip a number of times. Many times It was late departing as well as a standard 2 hours late arriving (in fact 2 hrs late regardless of whether it departed on time or delayed departure). And although labelled 'rapid' is stopped many many times, often for 10 - 20 minutes. 

Edited by scorecard