Two million baht's worth of "dangerous" bootleg liquor found in raids at house/condo in Bangkok - two arrested

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

191 police and excise officials armed with search warrants following a sting raided two properties after they became aware that bootleg foreign spirits and wine was being sold online for prices under the market rate.

Tax had not been paid on 1,400 bottles of alcohol. 

The first raid was at a two story house in Viphavadee Soi 22 3/1 in Chatuchak. 

The downstairs area of the house was used to store 1,200 bottles of liquor and wine.

At the property were Wichupha and Apichet, both 32 years old.

Also raided was a condo in Lad Prao Soi 94 in the Wang Thong Lang area where a further 200 bottles were being stored.

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police said they conducted a sting after becoming aware of sales through www.siamliq.com. No tax had been paid on the liquor.

Some had excise stamps, some didn't.

The suspects said that they had been selling via the LINE app getting income of 400,000 to 500,000 baht a month.

Checks are being made on the alcohol to determine if it is real or just non-taxed.

The police said consuming such liquor is highly dangerous.

Wichupha was the manageress and owner and Apichet was a deliveryman. 

The value of the booze was 2 million baht.

The suspects have been charged with possession and selling bootleg liquor and other related offences. 

Thai Rath did not report on any brand names in their story just that it was foreign liquor and wine brought in "from a neighboring country". 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I checked the prices on that website; seem about same as Thai price to me.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

IMO I do not think it was bootleg liquor. Perhaps genuine and possibly smuggled from Cambodia where spirits, wine and beer are so much cheaper (I know, I now live here!) Just look at the price differences (ref. wine-searcher.com):

One litre CHIVAS REGAL 12 years old 2,299 Thai Baht (Thailand) 941 Thai Baht (Cambodia). 

One litre GORDONS GIN 1,093 Thai baht (Thailand) 455 Thai baht (Cambodia).  I purchase 750cl 40% Gordons Gin for 9 US$ (320 baht) at my local supermarket.

Of interest, sales tax in Thailand is 7% and in Cambodia 10%.

The difference in prices may be due to high excise duty in rip-off Thailand!

Mae Sai is also a important entry point where many shops are operation. Surprised that that website still in operation. 

2 hours ago, steelerian said:

191 police and excise officials. Really? Do they think that was quite enough? Why not go for a round 200?

191 is the name of a police department

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Wow. Drinking non-taxed liquor is highly dangerous?

They didn't say that. Their comment was directed at this part of the sentence "Checks are being made on the alcohol to determine if it is real".

But hey, your troll post earned you some likes

Edited by peterfranks

13 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I checked the prices on that website; seem about same as Thai price to me.

"Police said they conducted a sting after becoming aware of sales through www.siamliq.com. No tax had been paid on the liquor."  Yesterday you could access that website; prices didn't seem low to me.