Soi Dog Foundation calls for an end to the Asian dog meat trade

snoop1130

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

They have specialized resturants in Belgium dedicated soley to Horse meat, not well adverrtised, but you will see a store with a horsehead over the door, or a picture of one in the window.

Thanks

Had it in Russia when I was there for the World Cup.

Delicious and not cheap. It was boiled but very tender

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Possibly spending it on publicity telling people how good they think they are. Dogs are out of control in Thailand and these people getting them sterilized is a pointless exercise helping nobody as a sterile dog can still maim children and spread rabis.

I guess I was lucky. No soi dogs where I was. Every house had at least one dog, sometimes many more. They all were housed. Any dog that stepped into another dog's perceived territory, without its human, was told in no uncertain terms to go away.

One of my sisters in law had a female, another had a male, between them and other males in the village, she ended up with 12 dogs, all of which the wife and I paid to have sterilsed. I'd gladly have paid to have all the dogs sterilised, if that's what the humans wanted. But I made sure all the dogs in the village knew me, made sure they knew the pecking order. I have to admit, it was fun getting to know the dogs, as well as their humans.

Would I eat dog? I don't know. I eat other meats...just never knowingly tried dog...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, huangnon said:

Most of the Soi Dog's charity work involves funding to sterilize strays and find homes for them. What's so wrong about that?

Nothing is wrong with that at all. But what area do they cover? There are millions of stray/soi dogs over the whole of Thailand and dealing with 40 or 50,000 or so in the cities doesn't make much of a dent in the soi dog population.

https://www.soidog.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfj-A1Wy4Xb-nfa6_VWsGPyg2MpMLFTqU9_ntjAq6XBfQ1CfWycp9GQaAvU7EALw_wcB

I can understand the sentiment behind it, but it needs a fundamental change of attitude in most of the Thai people (and an awful lot of foreigners) and especially in Thai vets to make a real change.

If owners had to pay a large licence fee most would simply kick the dogs out into the sois and abandon them.

There is a shop in the big village near where I live and the owners have a Husky. It is one of the must unsuitable dogs to own here with its think coat. What it does all day is lie in the shop by a fan, drink cool water and sleep. I have never seen it outside the shop being taken for a walk or exercised.

4 hours ago, Excel said:

Possibly spending it on publicity telling people how good they think they are. Dogs are out of control in Thailand and these people getting them sterilized is a pointless exercise helping nobody as a sterile dog can still maim children and spread rabis.

Do you mean rabies ?

Just now, Thingamabob said:

Much better. Thank you for your concern. Much appreciated.

My pleasure, I'm always happy to assist the grammar police in their pursuit of correctness. 

10 hours ago, huangnon said:

Most of the Soi Dog's charity work involves funding to sterilize strays and find homes for them. What's so wrong about that?

What's wrong is that it is almost useless, but it makes people feel better. If you look at their figures over the past 20 years they have sterilized less than 100 dogs a day, then they are let loose to continue being pests and a health risk. No idea how many soi dogs are born each day but many more times 100 in the nation. Soi Dog foundation is not an answer, at best they have slightly reduced the population growth. Mass culling would be a welcome change to the virtue signalling fluffy dog foundation crew.

• Like 2