Soi Dog Foundation calls for an end to the Asian dog meat trade

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

The only reason to justify the ban would be to stop the abduction of pets. AFAIC Cats and dogs that aren't someone's pet are livestock, just like cows, pics or rabbits.

And the inhumane treatment they get before they get killed.

A lot of people in the industrialized world seem to think that in countries where the people eat things that Occidentals don't it is because poverty.  E.g. I heard some media commentator remark about the theory that Covid came from people eating bats, saying that if it wasn't for poverty people wouldn't have to eat bats.  Pretty simple-minded assumption IMO.  A counter to this in Chinese cooking there is a dish called (loose translation here) of "Chicken for the King":  the main ingredient is chicken gizzards, it is "for the King" because it is a wealthy man who can afford to have a sufficient number of chickens killed to make a dish of the gizzards.  Well, that's what I read . . .

I saw grilled dog being sold at street stalls in Cambodia, and detected a certain sense of embarrassment in the vendors in having an Occidental (me) catching them selling dog meat. 

18 hours ago, Artisi said:

No money for the parasites bleating about "save the dogs".  I accept that some people are genuinely concerned but for others it's just cash cow,  as a previous poster pointed out "follow the money" 

My feelings exactly, ever see the vehicles they ride around in, all very expensive Toyota Highlanders, and Misubushi Pajeros.   Here is a read oit of their "Expenses"  It appears they are worth approx $5,000,000.00  accoerding to Charity Navigator.com.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/271600444

Soi Dog USA reported its three largest programs on its FY 2019 Form 990 as:

**Combat and Eliminate Dog Meat Trade

$2,000,799 Spent in most recent FY

45% Percent of program expenses

**Support Ongoing Animal Welfare Efforts in Thailand

$1,822,971 Spent in most recent FY

41% Percent of program expenses

**Advanced Medical Treatment Facilities

$500,000 Spent in most recent FY

11% Percent of program expenses

• Like 2

I have tried dog meat in Vietnam and found it to be tasty. It really is all about how it is prepared. The dog meat I had was barbecued on coals so it had a little bit of smoked flavor. The Thais could supplement their diet with dog meat rather than eat un-nutritious rice.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Screaming said:

I have tried dog meat in Vietnam and found it to be tasty. It really is all about how it is prepared. The dog meat I had was barbecued on coals so it had a little bit of smoked flavor. The Thais could supplement their diet with dog meat rather than eat un-nutritious rice.

Some often do around my way. Like you it can be tasty if cooked correctly. 0ne family always pay 100 -200 baht per dog depending on size.

It's the inhumane way dogs are killed that disturbs me.  I've seen the dogs stuffed alive inside baskets and cages all twisted and with broken limbs panting and suffering in Vietnam. Seen the videos from China of dogs getting beaten first inside sacks, then been boiled alive, their fur and skin pulled off when they are still alive, picked up by hooks and into hot oil vats and fried alive with grinning sick twisted psycho men. 

A lot of dogs in countries that allow dog meat consumption are pets that are stolen - already plump and disease free.

I understand the factory farming of animals and the methods of slaughter in third world places is also often very cruel, but with dogs on open market it is cultural to scare and torture them to death in order for the meat to allegedly taste sweeter from the adrenaline.  

Soi dog problems can be addressed with humane eradication, ongoing neutering programs.  

I am glad Thailand has some basic animal welfare laws that at least curb the sickos from getting off and profiting on torturing animals.  Glad this place isn't China.  

On 8/6/2022 at 9:23 AM, lujanit said:

We have two women in the village who daily feed soi dogs and cats.  I am led to believe this is part of their buddhist beliefs.  Reincarnation in the hope they will come back as a better (richer?) person.  As long as people believe this the problem won't go away.

The woman who does that around our village is rumoured to have gone to see a monk over some bad karma, and was told to do the feeding as an act for merit. Irritating as it does just increase numbers and packs hang around where she drops the food.