WRLife medical insurance - experiences?

bradiston

58 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

What does this mean exactly? Which insurance company paid actually your bill? Can you give the name? (Please don't answer just with YES)

I think he does nto know, only that he contacted AIS and the hospital somehow got paid.

So far no one with this insurance has been able to say who actually underwrites the policy or who pays out under it. In fact I don't think we have ever seen any policy documents described, at least policy documents of the type insurers normally provide.

Which is why I said previously "or name for multiple policies, perhaps with different insurers". Because it is totally unclear how this scheme actually operates. Only that so far, people with it have gotten their hospitalizations somehow reimbursed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think he does nto know, only that he contacted AIS and the hospital somehow got paid

AIS is listed on the hospital bill as the 'sponsor' who paid the bill.

AIS told me on the phone that they can only issue a guarantee-of-payment with a go-ahead from WrLife in Paris.

Since WrLife recently notified me that my annual premium is now adjusted for a claim this past year, I will assume they were the ones who ultimately handled and paid for the claim.

Again, I am  only answering as to how my claim was paid. All these other existential questions can be discussed with someone else.

Edited by jerrymahoney

6 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

AIS is listed on the hospital bill as the 'sponsor' who paid the bill.

AIS told me on the phone that they can only issue a guarantee-of-payment with a go-ahead from WrLife in Paris.

Since WrLife recently notified me that my annual premium is now adjusted for a claim this past year, I will assume they were the ones who ultimately handled and paid for the claim.

Again, I am  only answering as to how my claim was paid. All these other existential questions can be discussed with someone else.

Any travel assistance company cam only issue a GOP or other assurrance only after  approval from the relevant insurance company. I doubt they fo this solely for WRLife clients.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Any travel assistance company cam only issue a GOP or other assurrance only after  approval from the relevant insurance company. I doubt they fo this solely for WRLife clients.

They do have a special relationship with WrLife.

[quote]

[/quote]

Adjusted down or up?? ????.  Something to be aware of when you choose medical insurance.  Many companies who are not regulated by UK/EU rules will increase your premium if you make a claim, which could see you being priced out in later years if you claim again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have lived in Thailand for a good 32 years.
Was also long time health insurance!
These HI were but all NO Thai companies!!!
My experiences with Thai HI are not the best!
From an age of 65, the contributions increase significantly!
From 70 it becomes really expensive!

My last Thai KV - LUMA - has informed me in writing, on my request, the premium increases for the next years!
If you change age group, your premium will increase by about 30-40% overall - medical inflation and community rating are already included. They are not in addition to this increase.

If you are still under the same age group, your premium will increase by about 8-12%. annually!

So unaffordable unless I'm rich ????.

Save for 5 years I save 300,000.-THB annually and that's my HI

Was just in the hospital now,2 surgeries, went to Korat for this!

Price difference to the BPH in Pattaya good 350.000.-THB.

Paid I there about 280.000.-THB private hospital!!!

The main problem is actually that if it is expensive, the HI tries everything to have to pay nothing, or only a little!

• Like 1

With apologies to K. Internationalism, since it has been stated on Page 2 this topic that, just because my claim was paid is no assurance WrLife will be able to pay any future claims, I will note this from " ... And Justice For All", (1979) Al Pacino as Kirkland:

Arthur Kirkland : At this point, I would just like to say that what this committee is doing in theory is highly commendable. However, in practice, it sucks... and I'm not going to answer any more questions.

Edited by jerrymahoney

17 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

I have lived in Thailand for a good 32 years.
Was also long time health insurance!
These HI were but all NO Thai companies!!!
My experiences with Thai HI are not the best!
From an age of 65, the contributions increase significantly!
From 70 it becomes really expensive!

My last Thai KV - LUMA - has informed me in writing, on my request, the premium increases for the next years!
If you change age group, your premium will increase by about 30-40% overall - medical inflation and community rating are already included. They are not in addition to this increase.

If you are still under the same age group, your premium will increase by about 8-12%. annually!

So unaffordable unless I'm rich ????.

Save for 5 years I save 300,000.-THB annually and that's my HI

Was just in the hospital now,2 surgeries, went to Korat for this!

Price difference to the BPH in Pattaya good 350.000.-THB.

Paid I there about 280.000.-THB private hospital!!!

The main problem is actually that if it is expensive, the HI tries everything to have to pay nothing, or only a little!

I "self insured" for over 20 years and it worked out well financially. Now I'm 73 and the immigration rule changes a couple of years ago scared me so I decided to buy some HI. The best I could find was CIGNA which costs 120k per year but has a 35 mill. cap. I also have a high deductible of a couple of hundred thou. which is OK with me because I only want to use it for catastrophic medical events and visa purposes if necessary. Expensive? Sure. One good point is that it comes with 2 mill accidental death benefit which takes some of the sting out of the cost.

Why does an accidental death benefit prevent some of the costs?
Dead by accident...Then I need anyway no more benefit from the insurance!
I guess once 120.000.-THB ?
I also had a deductible of 300.000.-THB
As already written, there is no guarantee that the HI also pays everything!
Especially if it is expensive. Thai HI as well as so not!

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread, interesting reading as I'm looking for a Health Insurance Provider and WRLife is often mentioned by fellow Expats. My concern, as noted by others, is WRLife's Claims Settlement history. On the subject of AIS, I noticed that 3 of the WRLIFE LLP Officers listed at Companies House London have the AIS Office in Bangkok listed as their correspondence address. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC401682/officers

1 hour ago, Forza2002 said:

Just found this thread, interesting reading as I'm looking for a Health Insurance Provider and WRLife is often mentioned by fellow Expats. My concern, as noted by others, is WRLife's Claims Settlement history. On the subject of AIS, I noticed that 3 of the WRLIFE LLP Officers listed at Companies House London have the AIS Office in Bangkok listed as their correspondence address. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC401682/officers

I don't think WRLife have been long in the insurance market, in Thailand in any case, so they are unlikely to have a long history of either making or denying claims.  I went with them through a Bangkok based broker, who had had some successful claims on behalf of clients and some examples have also been posted on this Forum.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, Al BB said:

Yes, It would be good to know who the Underwriters are. 

On 8/8/2022 at 3:55 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

WRLife are brokers according to their website, the companies whose policies they sell are the underwriters of the policies.

https://www.wrlife.net/pdf_files/INSURANCE POLICY ENGLISH.pdf

I have received a quote from a company called NRG. I told the agent that I couldn't find any reviews for the company online. He told me that NRG are the brokers and WR Life are the insurer.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, KannikaP said:

I have had a policy since Feb 22 with them, £211 per month for Basic Serenity Cover up to £100,000.

Are they any good? Well I have not made a claim yet. They assure me that my 'pre-existing conditions' will be covered. I am dubious of the company, but I still carry on paying my premium.....just in case!

How old are you? And any pre existing conditions?

I had a look at their web site and promo video, and are not convinced. 

If you not sure you are sure! 

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How old are you? And any pre existing conditions?

I had a look at their web site and promo video, and are not convinced. 

If you not sure you are sure! 

I am 75, pre-existing were Blood Pressure and Enlarged Prostate, both under control.

As I said previously, I took out a policy for a few months but then got wary of the company and stopped the monthly payments.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this info has already been posted. Received from WrLife Bangna. 

Insurance Manager: BOLDER (ex-AMS) Underwriter supervision: BOLDER, WRLIFE, AGS and Nevis Regulator Regulator: Nevis Brokers license: Orias in all EU, FCA (under new procedure since Brexit) Insurance license: Nevis regulator.

Direct billing in every hospital for inpatient claims (IPD).

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2022 at 3:58 PM, scubascuba3 said:

If they were an Insurance Company wouldn't they still have an Insurance underwriter?

12 minutes ago, rainwater said:

The local Thai rep a UK guy Mark Levitan has assured me WR Life is an underwriter real insurance company based in the UK designed for expats, they have to partner with existing Insurance related companies in each country they do business with for licensing purposes. The company they partner with in Thailand is called Assist International Services, and that would be the name on your insurance card along with WR Life. Now, who and what to belive is up to you and how much reseach you want to put in and how much legalize you understand regarding medical insurance. I am not expert in this matter but this seems like the best plan for me with $200,000 (over 6 mill baht cover). I've given up trying to read all the fine print, it's an  endless endeavor with thier contracts written by teams of lawyers, but I will never buy Thai insurance and this is supposed to be UK insurance for expats. You can spend months trying to get to the truth and finding the best plan, but in my view at the end of the day you're basically rolling the dice... Unless someone has a irreputable proof that this company is a scam and a lying about their coverage I'm going with WR life. I'm age 68 and the rep told me the coverage is good for life and will not increase if I don't file a claim.

Edited by rainwater

On 12/5/2022 at 5:38 AM, nigelforbes said:

One good point is that it comes with 2 mill accidental death benefit which takes some of the sting out of the cost.

For who?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 3:51 PM, KannikaP said:

And now this revelation that they will cover all pre-existing condition for anyone over 65 who has had a policy for 6 months seems the road to disaster to me. Completely the opposite to more conventional and well established companies.

When I asked the CEO if it was true, he simply said YES, and then told me that he and his family live in Asia and that they are insured with WrLife! 

I got exactly the same from him, and immediately cancelled my policy.

• Thumbs Up 1