WRLife medical insurance - experiences?

bradiston

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

Those wishing to self-insure should IMHO preferably aim to set aside at least 3 million THB for this purpose if they can afford it. I distinctly recall @Sheryl referring to eye-watering amounts for the costs of major surgery on here - and, in any case, 3 million will be the minimum self-insurance requirement under the new mandatory insurance rules applying to original non-OA visa holders seeking retirement extensions from 1 October.

Agee with your and Sheryl's estimate, myself for example, I have well over that amount in the bank & in investments which I could sell at the press of a button, however my point was to put money aside annually to build up a self insurance plan @250k baht per annum vs paying constantly increasing private health cover policies.

Naturally it will take time to get to that 3 million baht amount, but one hopes that they don't have to visit a hospital at all and that the 250k baht put aside annually is back in their pockets as opposed to the eye gauging insurers, that said, if I am still alive in the 12 years that, it takes to reach that amount, (one year down), I will have to celebrate knowing the wife and kids will have 3 million more for them when I am departed.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 6:37 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Agee with your and Sheryl's estimate, myself for example, I have well over that amount in the bank & in investments which I could sell at the press of a button, however my point was to put money aside annually to build up a self insurance plan @250k baht per annum vs paying constantly increasing private health cover policies.

Naturally it will take time to get to that 3 million baht amount, but one hopes that they don't have to visit a hospital at all and that the 250k baht put aside annually is back in their pockets as opposed to the eye gauging insurers, that said, if I am still alive in the 12 years that, it takes to reach that amount, (one year down), I will have to celebrate knowing the wife and kids will have 3 million more for them when I am departed.

What could prove a right PITA, though, is that, thanks to the Deposit Protection Agency's maximum 1,000,000 THB guarantee limit, it will probably be advisable to spread the 3,000,000 over 3 new accounts with separate banks (which should also be separate from the banks you hold existing accounts with).

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, OJAS said:

What could prove a right PITA, though, is that, thanks to the Deposit Protection Agency's maximum 1,000,000 THB guarantee limit, it will probably be advisable to spread the 3,000,000 over 3 new accounts with separate banks (which should also be separate from the banks you hold existing accounts with).

I never hold more than a million baht in my account in Thailand, that is usually enough for my annual budget and I draw down accordingly. The timing of the transferred amount also satisfies the annual extension (marriage).

If I ever got into dire straits, I could transfer from my overseas account to my Wise account and have the money here in my Thai bank, usually within a day or 2 the most.

I have 3 accounts overseas, each one protects me to the sum of 6,250,000 baht, that said, as the protection here with the Thai banks is limited, I would be crazy to shift my money here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can't read through 8 pages of this thread, but just to say AA now issue a disclaimer regarding Wrlife. Although they still offer their policies, they have a list of 3 caveats. I don't have a copy to hand but I'm sure anyone that's interested could drop by their office and pick one up.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I can't read through 8 pages of this thread, but just to say AA now issue a disclaimer regarding Wrlife. Although they still offer their policies, they have a list of 3 caveats. I don't have a copy to hand but I'm sure anyone that's interested could drop by their office and pick one up.

you are the OP and you have contributed 34 posts.

Maybe you should pass here off info. Surely they do reply by mail, not only as printed handout.

I have checked AA website, no any updates on WRLife.

I think only some agents from pattaya office were actively promoting WR policies. Not HH or the other offices.

btw the AA has now office in bangkok, silom

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

You started the thread and now you can't be bothered to read it!  Not very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You started the thread and now you can't be bothered to read it!  Not very helpful.

When I last checked, ie at my last notification, there were maybe 4 or 5 pages. I'd already made up my mind what I was going to do by then.

I don't want to upload the letter because

1 it is between AA and their clients, and

2 there may be issues I don't want to get involved in, in publishing it.

I'm sure if people were that interested they would visit the office themselves. AA are a good company in my experience. I am signed up with Wrlife for better or worse. I did visit one other broker in person, which was MTL on Pattaya Tai, close to the 3rd Road junction. They were also very helpful. They offered me a more expensive policy, but with more cover. They might well be worth a visit. They are a Thai company, but the policy is bilingual. The 2 ladies I spoke to speak good English.

I think that's it for now. I never imagined this thread would run so long, so my apologies for not reading every post. I read a fair amount on AN. Some I just skim through though. I hope people find what they're looking for in the way of insurance, or something like it.

BTW, two separate brokers and an insurer, confirmed my health policy would cover an accident that leads to inpatient treatment. So I've not renewed my Personal Accident Insurance.

Edited by bradiston

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jonathan RW said:

Want an answer on WR Life?  Check out their financial status here  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC401682/filing-history  

I looked at this also some time ago, I also found a filing that shows a cash injection of about 1 mill baht from what appears to be a Thai sponsor/partner/underwriter based in Bangkok. I'm sure I don't understand who underwrites this business, how or where.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2022 at 4:21 PM, jerrymahoney said:

Update: I received my WrLife premium quote for my 2nd year after a big claim during my first year.

Policy increase: 3%.

That's very good Jerry

Did they pay the hospital  directly?

I need some good news about WR.

I would like to take out a policy with them but am a bit skeptical as they are so cheap and pay up for ore existing conditions. 

I have many

Cheers

On 11/19/2022 at 4:21 PM, jerrymahoney said:

Update: I received my WrLife premium quote for my 2nd year after a big claim during my first year.

Policy increase: 3%.

Good hear.  Thanks for the update.

I renewed my policy with them last month, and added my wife and child.  All dealt with efficiently and I was pleased I could pay in £. 

But I haven't had to make a claim yet!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 9:48 AM, jerrymahoney said:

Hopefully you won't have reason to do so any time soon.

So WRLife paid your hospital Bill? Or some other company.? I'm sure, the hospital would be able to tell you, wouldn't it?

Did you ask? Just for clarification here on this forum?

Please reply

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, proton said:

where do you stand if they go bust?

I believe there's a requirement for insurance companies in Thailand to be members of or registered with the OIC, Office of Insurance Commission. They are the people who determine whether an insurance company can trade etc and makes those companies behave in a certain manner. Much more than that I don't know but some googleing may uncover more.

I did find this, if it's of help: https://www.thailandmedical.news/pages/thailand_medical_insurance_listings

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I believe there's a requirement for insurance companies in Thailand to be members of or registered with the OIC, Office of Insurance Commission. They are the people who determine whether an insurance company can trade etc and makes those companies behave in a certain manner. Much more than that I don't know but some googleing may uncover more.

I did find this, if it's of help: https://www.thailandmedical.news/pages/thailand_medical_insurance_listings

we had a car insurance that went bust- guaranteed by the Thai government compensation scheme- we never got any repayment, nor answers to calls or emails!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I and others have been able to determine, WRLife Thailand is nto registered with the Thailand OIC, at least not under that name.

So either they are not registered or they are registered under a different name.....the plot thickens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

This lists the company Assist International Services, which is neither an insurer nor a broker  but a "travel assistance service provider" . It is unclear if Assist International is simply serving as a management agent/claims facilitator of  WRLife Insurance or if WRLife insurance is a policy (or name for multiple policies, perhaps with different insurers) that Assist International somehow sells despite being neither a licensed insurance broker nor an insurance company.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This lists the company Assist International Services, which is neither an insurer nor a broker  but a "travel assistance service provider" . It is unclear if Assist International is simply serving as a management agent/claims facilitator of  WRLife Insurance or if WRLife insurance is a policy (or name for multiple policies, perhaps with different insurers) that Assist International somehow sells despite being neither a licensed insurance broker nor an insurance company.

From the Assist Int'l website:

Guarantee of Medical Expenses – In case of hospitalization, AIS can confirm the coverage for medical expenses at the insurance company, issue the Letter of Guarantee to the medical facility on behalf of the insurance company, reimburse the medical expenses, obtain the medical information and translate it to the language of insurer.

– Inpatient services
– Outpatient services

http://assistinter.com/main/?portfolio=services

24 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the Assist Int'l website:

Guarantee of Medical Expenses – In case of hospitalization, AIS can confirm the coverage for medical expenses at the insurance company, issue the Letter of Guarantee to the medical facility on behalf of the insurance company, reimburse the medical expenses, obtain the medical information and translate it to the language of insurer.

– Inpatient services
– Outpatient services

http://assistinter.com/main/?portfolio=services

This is a general function of a travel assistance provider and not limited to any specific type of insurance.  There are several similiar companies who will do the same thing once provided with the insurance details.

It  this does not tell you where the WRLife insurance policy comes from/who issues and underwrites it.

It is most unusual that WRLife documents give the name of a travel assistance company as if it were their own name (ref the document you provided on how to make a claim). The normal process would be to list the actual insurer details. Clients who want to, can then use a travel assistance company if desired.

• Like 2