Severe Staff Shortages Reported In Thai Hotels

webfact

Room occupancy up.

The room rates are up.

Only a third of the hotels looking for staff are prepared to raise the wages on offer.

That is why.

I am not opposed in principle to the idea of a minimum wage, but this is what happens when the minimum wage becomes the standard wage.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Pay is too low- hours are too long- conditions too poor and chance for promotion scarce  with no real in-house  training.

Conditions  are scandalous with barriers to employment  such as person character guarantees being demanded, staff having to buy uniforms....etc

Do they really do much work? After they look at facebook, tictok, line, youtube soap opera is there really much time for customers or work. I am sure have all been in a Thai office/business where most of the staff are sitting around while custoners are queuing. 

I would change the title to 'severe guest shortages ' ..at least in my hometown. (HatYai)

Some hotels are still closed, all others barely functioning 

Tourists from Malaya ,or domestic ,still at 10% of pre-pandemic levels.

City center almost as depressing as during cvid

I think the story is exaggerated as not all hotels cannot get staff .....  many hotels have their banner hanging outside saying ' we are hiring '    bla .. bla  .... and when a Thai, Laos or Cambodian go in to investigate and apply ... it's oh i'm sorry we have no vacancies at the moment. 

Also, part of the problem is the salary, as once they pay room, food, electric,  there's no meat left on the bone ... hence no applicants. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai hotels are suffering from severe staff shortages as the hospitality industry struggles to recover from the fallout of Covid-19, according to the Thai Hotel Association (THA).

I can't blame workers.  They go back to work,  the government closes down the country again, and they are all out of work again. 
"Oh look.  Monkeypox!!! Polio!!! Sub-variant B4.3.2.55!!!  Virus_X!!!  Masks on.  Non-essential business need to close along with the borders."  This is a never ending story now that it has been rolled out once.
The control freaks in power will never allow this opportunity to control the commoners to end.

Wise workers seek jobs that are not effected by the whims of governments and 'experts.' 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, stoner said:

back home we're hiring signs are all over the place.....ya but are you paying ? 

after what people just went through not many are willing to work for crumbs anymore. 

can you blame them ? our system is broken but those in power care not.