“Way to a million” Soi Dog hits 750,000 sterilisations in Thailand

snoop1130

https://www.aspca.org/helping-people-pets/shelter-intake-and-surrender

Stats from USA too:

"Of the approximately 6.3 million companion animals who enter shelters nationwide every year, approximately 3.1 million are dogs and 3.2 million are cats.

Each year, approximately 920,000 animals are euthanized (390,000 dogs and 530,000 cats)."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, billsmart said:

I currently have adopted 14 strays. How about you? How many do you have? 

We take care for 24 dogs in our 2 properties by now ...

It does cost a lot of money to feed them properly ( about 100.000 baht a month , but it is worth it ! )

They are better than the useless people who only destroy and complain ...

They give something back to us , something that became very rare these days ... LOVE .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Let's be clear scout 2 things...

1 - Culling dogs doesn't work.

2 - SDF reduced the stray dog population in Phuket from 80,000 to 6000.

Culling does work if done properly, still waiting for the information from you re the cull in Bangkok you made claims about. The Phuket example is non applicable to the country as a whole.

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

Culling NEVER works

You stated the problem with culling (killing) the dogs is that the process is too slow. This silly sterilisation exercise is a lot slower. Are you saying there's a third option or that we're all doomed?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

You don't seem to be able to read mark, lean and inwardly digest.

The last cull in BK ended in failure for precisely the reasons you have mooted.

I know it's difficult to come to terms with the evidence when it makes you look foolish - it's called cognitive dissonance, but your replies are just making it  look as if you are incapable of understanding anything.

Who's having issues with their reading skills now? Internalise what would happen if dead dogs generated a monetary reward. There would be an incentive for many people to round up dogs. There would also be less incentive for irresponsible dog owners to leave their pets in the streets. 50 baht is probably enough for the first example but probably not enough for the second one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Walking around Siem Reap one hardly sees any dogs !   If Cambodia can sort out a problem like this why can't Thailand

Exactly. Why were people in Pattaya asking for food packages during the pandemic while protein was running around in the streets?

• Like 1

Considering the long  list of currently endangered species, its pretty clear that culling can have an effect, in this case it would be the desired effect as far as most sensible rightminded people are concerned   There is no room for sentimentality in situations like this, Those who disagree would no doubt feel differently if they themselves or their children became victims,  Its not much fun making several trips to the hospital even if its "just"  for rabies jabs

• Like 2

16 hours ago, billsmart said:

IMO, humans are much nastier and slier than any dog.

And the article you posted was about a dog attack in the USA by the owner's dog, not a soi dog in Thailand.

How about this image for a sample of human's killing innocent animals? See the source image

Not really on topic but take a minute to examine your own bias here. When a dog attacks a child the dog is innocent and the child or some other humans most likely caused the incident. When a rhino is killed, where you only have a photo of the dead animal and some proud hunters, you automatically assume the rhino is "innocent". 

You seem to enjoy philosophy so why not take a moment and get to grips with what you're doing wrong. 

• Like 1

Another Thai phenomena ,   If a dog bites you it seems to always have no owner , however should you hit one with your car people will soon crawl out of the woodwork demanding compensation for their "cherished pet"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

I think you are missing. point here. The practice of eating dogs is not based on the need for food in most countries....it is believed to enhance health.

However the dogs unlike most domesticated food animals are not bred, kept or killed humanely or even hygienically. Over the centuries she dogs have beebread for food but eating of Soi Dogs is not part of that practice.

I agree with most of your post, however, most domesticated food animals are not kept or killed humanely. My point is killing and eating one animal is no better or worse than killing and eating another animal or plant. It's something we need to do to survive, but, as you say, should be done humanely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I was kind of with you in the beginning of this thread but you have lost me now.  I think you don't spend much time in Thailand.  I am a dog owner / dog lover, but you can't deny that soi dogs - when they get in to the pack mentality - can be extremely aggressive, especially at night.  Unprovoked attacks as they guard their territory.  How you don't know this I am not sure (other than suspecting you have little experience here).

I've lived in Thailand in various places, including Bangkok, for over 20 years. I now live in the mountains of Phetchabun Province.

I've never experienced the "soi dog pack mentality," but still don't believe the remedy for that should be killing them all.

10 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I was bitten by a soi dog. I was riding my bike and it just ran up and bit my thigh.

Luckily, I didn't come off the bike because I hate to think what the rest of the pack would have done. 

There was no warning, no barking, the thing just came up and bit me. It's been close a few times since while cycling.

So hospital and rabies jabs are all soi dogs have done for me - oh yes, and I ended up giving up cycling. Not sure why I should for vermin.

Perhaps when you are attacked, it'll change your mind. 

In the case you cited, I would have no problem with having the dog that bit you killed. What I would not approve of is killing the entire pack because of the actions of this one dog.

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

We take care for 24 dogs in our 2 properties by now ...

It does cost a lot of money to feed them properly ( about 100.000 baht a month , but it is worth it ! )

They are better than the useless people who only destroy and complain ...

They give something back to us , something that became very rare these days ... LOVE .

Yes! Yes! Yes! ????

41 minutes ago, androokery said:

Not really on topic but take a minute to examine your own bias here. When a dog attacks a child the dog is innocent and the child or some other humans most likely caused the incident. When a rhino is killed, where you only have a photo of the dead animal and some proud hunters, you automatically assume the rhino is "innocent". 

You seem to enjoy philosophy so why not take a moment and get to grips with what you're doing wrong. 

To correct your assumptions on what I said...

What I said was it is possible that the one attacked by a dog (child or adult) may have done something to provoke the attack, or some other humans may have previously done something that caused the dog to be angry or fearful, leading to the attack. My questions in that post were, why would the dog attack? And maybe the answer is that particular dog is just very aggressive, like a sadistic human. If that's the case, then eliminating that dog is okay with me, but killing the entire pack because of the actions of one or two dogs is not acceptable to me.

The rhino, IMO, was killed for fun. There could have been some other reason, but I don't think it was killed for food. It might have been that rhino had been eating crops. In that case, it was killed for convenience. There is even a million-to-one chance that the rhino may have killed someone while on a rampage. In that case, like the case of the dog above, I would not condemn killing it.

But, just having the photo as evidence of what happened, I'll put my money on "fun." ????

10 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! ????

No! No! No! Sister in law lives on a nice Sansiri estate, no real garden area the usual strip of land at the side and rear. Recently a man moved in nearby with over 30 dogs, never heard anything like it, just a wall of sound and not a nice one. He claimed it was his right to have as many as he wanted. Seems nobody could do anything about it despite many residents complaints. TIT. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ive been a dog owner, breeder my whole life. I love animals. But if these animals have no owners, no carers and are left to just wander the streets it saddens me to say euthanasia would be a far better option than sterilisaton euthanase would also be the preferable option for the grubs that turn these dogs loose to roam the streets.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, proton said:

No! No! No! Sister in law lives on a nice Sansiri estate, no real garden area the usual strip of land at the side and rear. Recently a man moved in nearby with over 30 dogs, never heard anything like it, just a wall of sound and not a nice one. He claimed it was his right to have as many as he wanted. Seems nobody could do anything about it despite many residents complaints. TIT. 

Please let there be ultrasonic devices powerful enough to drive these dogs mental. And their owners away. 

16 minutes ago, starky said:

Ive been a dog owner, breeder my whole life. I love animals. But if these animals have no owners, no carers and are left to just wander the streets it saddens me to say euthanasia would be a far better option than sterilisaton euthanase would also be the preferable option for the grubs that turn these dogs loose to roam the streets.

Exactly, it would end suffering instead of prolonging it just to make people feel good.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, androokery said:

Please let there be ultrasonic devices powerful enough to drive these dogs mental. And their owners away. 

Got one, they are directional and only work close up, also while they have some effect it tends to wear off and even makes some dogs bark more. Ultrasonics don't affect adults, as far as I know. Lets hope one gets invented that works.

Edited by proton

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Got one, they are directional and only work close up, also while they have some effect it tends to wear off and even makes some dogs bark more. Ultrasonics don't affect adults, as far as I know.

I've always felt that getting a dog is a very selfish decision. There will always be an impact on people around you, in one way or another. And getting more than one dog is even more selfish, while having more than five is clearly antisocial behaviour, bordering on sociopathic. That's one of the reasons it's very difficult to deal with these people. They also tend to believe they are animal lovers for having dogs, when all they're actually doing is subjugating individuals for fun or for company. And the added benefit of driving their neighbours crazy, as is the case in your example with the 30 dogs. Clearly the only option is to move. Unless you want to start a war. With a sociopath. 

• Like 2

Great to see all these solutions expounded.

But the reality is Soi Dog Foundation is actually doing and achieving something.

The improvement in Patong and even surrounding areas over 25 years is astounding and impossible to deny.

Other methods might work or be a lot better so if you think you can do better

start now and tell us your action plan.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, proton said:

Just 102 a day over the past 20 years then and most of those let back on the streets to continue being noise, disease, safety pests. Rather misleading as usual. How many has this poor effort reduced the population by I wonder. obviously just a sticking plaster non solution to the problem..

I bet you're such fun at parties.

44 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

Great to see all these solutions expounded.

But the reality is Soi Dog Foundation is actually doing and achieving something.

The improvement in Patong and even surrounding areas over 25 years is astounding and impossible to deny.

Other methods might work or be a lot better so if you think you can do better

start now and tell us your action plan.

19 years not 25 and they have done very little apart from bigging themselves up as canine super heroes. I don't recall seeing any dogs in Phuket in 1997, why trust their numbers anyway when they will not even discuss the stray population? It really is a case of peeing in the wind.

My action plan- mass culling for several months nationwide.