“Way to a million” Soi Dog hits 750,000 sterilisations in Thailand

snoop1130

11 hours ago, proton said:

19 years not 25 and they have done very little apart from bigging themselves up as canine super heroes. I don't recall seeing any dogs in Phuket in 1997, why trust their numbers anyway when they will not even discuss the stray population? It really is a case of peeing in the wind.

My action plan- mass culling for several months nationwide.

The 25 years referred to the time I had been seeing street dogs around Patong but longer actually.

I have no connection with Soi Dog Foundation nor have ever contributed but perhaps I should.

I became aware of them due to a loud conversation that took place at the Surin Bay Inn (I think)  restaurant about 2 weeks after the Tsunami and a loud Australian woman was sounding off about dogs in Bali or somewhere and saying these people at the table should be doing this and that etc.

Being as cynical as I am, I said to my wife what a bunch of tossers, we have 1000's of people homeless, injured and many dead and they are worrying about a few stray dogs. 

Over time, on various visits to Patong, I gradually noticed the packs of dogs which were around and on the beach and were scabby, with hair falling out, some crippled and scarred and generally in an appalling condition and a few quite aggressive, they were diminishing in numbers.

Prior to Covid there were few dogs around and most appeared in reasonable condition. Earlier this year there were a couple of packs on Patong Beach in the morning but they were not a problem but certainly more than prior to Covid.

The reduction in number and the better health of dogs I have put down to the the reduction of breeding stock due to the intervention of Soi Dog Foundation.

I do agree with mass culling of homeless dogs but that is not going to get traction in Thailand.