How fast or slow can anyone physically age?

swissie

It is nto an effect of normal aging to go from being able to walk 1 km to having difficulty waling 300 meters within the space of 3 months. Something must have occurred within that time period to account for this.

Nor is it normal to have aches all day long for no apparent reason.

Did you have a period if inactivity, or reduced activity, for any reason?

Have you had any respiratory infection in past 3 months?

What type of "medical examination" have you had? By what type of doctors?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swissie said:

Update: Long COVID or "chronic fatigue syndrome". In case it's the latter, a lot of guesswork and diagnostic hokus-pokus coming my way.
Cheers.

If you had COVID, would certainly explain things. Even with mild cases the aftrr effects can be considerable and prolonged. 

There is no specific treatment for this.  Try to eat well, get plenty of rest, exercise daily but in moderation slowly building up your tolerance. Listen to your body.

I agree with the consensus that the physical decline described by the OP is abnormal enough to likely have a cause beyond aging.  In fact, I would like to argue against our normal assumption that ageing inevitably equals decline. 

My own experience is that at 81 I feel at least as fit as I did at 41.  My chiropractor agrees. How is this possible?  Well, I can think of various interventions that might have brought this about, starting with the chiropractor who I started seeing 40 years ago.  She cured my lower back pain almost immediately and then by showing me exercises and by monthly visits maintaining my flexibility.  Then about 30 years ago, she finally got me to make exercise a constant part of my life.  About the same time (30 years ago) another professional, my psychiatrist, prescribed testosterone, which has boosted my vitality since.  The last ten years have been especially important.  Since 2013 I have dropped 40 of 200 pounds and fallen in love with a beautiful Thai 40 years my junior.  Another factor over the last year has been following the Metformin and supplements regimen advocated by David Sinclair in Lifespan: Why we age and why we don’t have to (2019).

On 8/10/2022 at 2:16 AM, swissie said:

How can it be, that a person is dying in a "fast forward"  motion, while "There is nothing wrong with you"'?

Perhaps because acquiring various diseases, for example your high blood pressure (among, no doubt, others), and then medicating them, doesn't resolve the underlying conditions, which the docs know you aren't going to do via diet & exercise. Meds themselves may have various insidious effects, BTW.

And sarcopenia and the loss of bone mass go unchecked in the absence of resistance exercise.

Hence the inevitable morbidity--fraility, pain, cognitive decline etc.--tends to start earlier and last a greater proportion of your total lifespan. I mean, if the Genetic Voodoo isn't working for you.

Not sure what you're on about, however, since you've announced earlier that the best solution is to do nothing, and you wish to emulate a turtle. You're indeed moving slower like a turtle now. And remember this consoling thought:

On 7/1/2021 at 11:50 PM, swissie said:

When the final curtain falls, nobody at the entrance of "the pearly-gates" is likely to ask us of how many carrots or steaks we ate during our lifetime.

I myself believe, that upon my demise, nobody will ask me any questions anymore. I am very comfortable with this thought. With or without prior exercise.

Now our forum Life Coaches have long promoted the ideal of enjoying a short but happy life, with the death arriving during a sex act. One then departs with a smile on one's face.???? I suspect the smile is just another of our little comforting myths, but we may believe what we wish, eh. How short those last few years will really seem is another question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 7:35 AM, habuspasha said:

I agree with the consensus that the physical decline described by the OP is abnormal enough to likely have a cause beyond aging.  In fact, I would like to argue against our normal assumption that ageing inevitably equals decline. 

My own experience is that at 81 I feel at least as fit as I did at 41.  My chiropractor agrees. How is this possible?  Well, I can think of various interventions that might have brought this about, starting with the chiropractor who I started seeing 40 years ago.  She cured my lower back pain almost immediately and then by showing me exercises and by monthly visits maintaining my flexibility.  Then about 30 years ago, she finally got me to make exercise a constant part of my life.  About the same time (30 years ago) another professional, my psychiatrist, prescribed testosterone, which has boosted my vitality since.  The last ten years have been especially important.  Since 2013 I have dropped 40 of 200 pounds and fallen in love with a beautiful Thai 40 years my junior.  Another factor over the last year has been following the Metformin and supplements regimen advocated by David Sinclair in Lifespan: Why we age and why we don’t have to (2019).

Try adding mucuna pruriens to your regimen.

Also known as Mah Moo-ee locally in herbalists.

You get excellent muscle/skin toning and mind clarity from it. Thais know it as a sex herb - but its known as a toning herb in bodybuilding....not an every day herb (OTT/playing with fire), just a pre-exercise herb is its sweetspot...also it boosts dopamine and natural HGH release.

• Thanks 1