Starting Social Security benefits

12 hours ago, DineshR said:

@JimGant Agreed. I just might do that if it gets complicated.

As an aside, 3 weeks and counting and have not heard back from SSA on status of application. The site says it usually takes between 2-4 weeks to process applications so will wait till the end of this week to follow up with a call to the Manila office.

Good luck in calling the Manila office....a hard bunch of folks to get on the phone. 

You might want to submit an online inquiry at below U.S. Embassy-Manila SSA FBU weblink....the inquiry form even has a reason for the inquiry being "Applying for Social Security Benefits."  I know you have already applied and just wanting for Manila to contact you....maybe you should go knocking on their door with an online Inquiry to them...do it now...probably better than an email to them.....and good luck with the call.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/fbu-inquiry-form/

Partial Snapshot from above weblink

image.png.f32cedd400aa67a7b136dea4eac101fe.png

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, DineshR said:

@JimGant Agreed. I just might do that if it gets complicated.

As an aside, 3 weeks and counting and have not heard back from SSA on status of application. The site says it usually takes between 2-4 weeks to process applications so will wait till the end of this week to follow up with a call to the Manila office.

Good luck in calling the Manila office....a hard bunch of folks to get on the phone. 

You might want to submit an online inquiry at below U.S. Embassy-Manila SSA FBU weblink....the inquiry form even has a reason for the inquiry being "Applying for Social Security Benefits."  I know you have already applied and just wanting for Manila to contact you....maybe you should go knocking on their door with an online Inquiry to them...do it now...probably better than an email to them.....and good luck with the call.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/fbu-inquiry-form/

Partial Snapshot from above weblink

image.png.f32cedd400aa67a7b136dea4eac101fe.png

• Thumbs Up 1

SSA website  stated with a Thai address I should deal with manila office.

Last Sunday I send an email to Manila to start receiving benefit. I will be 62 in a few months.

On Tuesday morning I got a phone interview. End of the phone call I was told my application was completed, and will be forwarded to US for approval. Easy. No documents to mail, no forms to fill. I had  mailed to Manila certified copy of US passport in January when I updated my SSA record, which I was unable to do online probably because of my foreign address.

I will use a US bank account to receive the monthly benefit, I can access  the money worldwide with Schwab ATM card for cash withdrawals and Schwab brokerage account for wire transfers.

Edited by Thailand J

• 3 weeks later...

@Pib Thank you for that info. 

A quick update on my status. As previously noted, I applied on Aug 10. At that time, the SSA website indicated 2-4 week processing time for "MOST" people. 4 weeks went by on Sept 7. I sent an email on Sept 10 requesting a status update. Got an automatic response stating  "Thank you for contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.  Due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the Philippines, operations in the Federal Benefits Unit may be limited; however, we typically respond to inquiries within 15 business days.  We respectfully request that you avoid sending multiple emails, as this may cause further delays. " 

15 business days ends this coming Friday. However, I plan on calling them this Thursday ( which would be 7 weeks from  application submitted) as the Manila FBU office only takes calls on Tuesdays and Thursdays according to their website. If I fail to connect, then will use the link @Pib sent to submit an online inquiry. 

I requested benefits start in December and this may be a reason why my submission may be delayed as they might be prioritizing applicants that have benefits starting earlier. Will post as I know more.

• Like 1

I don't think they're particularly focused on starting your benefits on time. Mine started late because of interview delays. Of course you ultimately get the late payments, so it's not a huge deal unless you're desperate for the cash, and they know that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shortly after I sent my last update yesterday, I received an email from FBU Manila requesting my phone number and day/times for a call so that they could call me to assist me - "Kindly provide your contact number, available time and day so that we can assist you."

Stay tuned !

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:32 AM, DineshR said:

@Skeptic7 Thanks. Good to know I am not alone .....

On 9/26/2022 at 7:42 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Still same. Pending. Going on 3 months. Will make a phone call this week. Benefits to start 1 Nov...hopefully. 

Called Baltimore office Thursday. Was told it was still being processed. Said some do take longer, but since it's been more than 60 days he could send an inquiry. Hope this gets the ball rolling again and excruciatingly slow process finalized. 

An update. Subsequent to the email I received from FBU Manila on Sept 26 requesting a contact number and available dates and times, I have yet to receive a call from them.

On October 7, I sent them an email asking when I could expect a call.

Today, October 12, I receive another email but this time letting me know that in order for them to schedule me for a phone interview, they required my full name, date of birth, mailing address and contact number. I have promptly responded to that email with the required info. Will update as events unfold.

63 days and counting since the application for benefits was submitted.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Thailand J said:

I just saw on my SSA account my application was approved 6 days after the Manila phone call.

Screenshot 2022-10-17 052318.jpg

That's great. Lucky you. Mine's been on the "Step 2" since 5 July and I've called them and emailed them to no avail and no answers. I'm totally underwhelmed with their service and this excruciatingly SLOW process. Regardless of why it wasn't completed in 2 to 4 weeks, as they claim...it is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable that it's still under review after nearly 4 months. :coffee1:

6 hours ago, Thailand J said:

I just saw on my SSA account my application was approved 6 days after the Manila phone call.

Congrats.  You have now been officially recognized by the U. S. government as an "Old Geezer."   A recognition I also received years back. 

And if you have your last SS annual statement handy take a look at the area which shows the total amount of SS tax "you" paid-in over your work life (disregard the amounts/entries about Medicare tax paid as that a separate benefit and Medicare/SS taxes your employer(s) paid-in on your behalf).   

Divide whatever gross amount your monthly SS pension is going to be into that total SS Taxes You Paid Amount....and I think you will see you will recover all of that money around 4 years of SS pension payments.  It will vary from individual to individual as to the payback time....but bottom line the SS taxes you paid over your work life was a very good investment (assuming you live around 4 more years).

P.S. standby for the probably comments from those who will say if you could have instead invested those "SS Taxes You Paid" into the stock market, gold, cryptocurrencies, etc., you would have a much bigger next egg of money.  We won't talk about "if" you would have actually made those investments (many people would not have) and picked the right investments versus spending the money on bills, vacations, a new iPhone, a new car, etc.

image.png.f4f6a35dde7248b893716e572c56911a.png

On 10/25/2022 at 1:29 AM, Thailand J said:

Congrats ! You are extremely lucky. I'm still waiting ... 77 days and counting. Sent an inquiry via the FBU weblink last night. Tried calling them several times over the last 2 weeks but with no luck. Will keep trying. 

So I initiated another call to the National SS Office in Baltimore. Talked to them for 25 mins, then was given the SS Workload number in Birmingham, Alabama and talked to them for 8 mins. Both offices saw my application claim, saw it was submitted online on 5 July...but neither could give me any further info other than it's still under review. Workload found the person directly assigned to my application and gave me her direct number. Called it and got thru immediately to her, or rather her voice mail, as she was "currently not available" to take my call. So left a detailed voicemail asking her to return my call. Not holding my breath, but did finish with...'if I don't hear back, I will continue to call every day and leave a msg until we talk or I am informed as to the status of my claim '. 

FYI...The lady at the National Office did allow that the online info stating "2-4 weeks" for processing most applications was total BS and the average time was 8 weeks. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:21 PM, Skeptic7 said:

So I initiated another call to the National SS Office in Baltimore. Talked to them for 25 mins, then was given the SS Workload number in Birmingham, Alabama and talked to them for 8 mins. Both offices saw my application claim, saw it was submitted online on 5 July...but neither could give me any further info other than it's still under review. Workload found the person directly assigned to my application and gave me her direct number. Called it and got thru immediately to her, or rather her voice mail, as she was "currently not available" to take my call. So left a detailed voicemail asking her to return my call. Not holding my breath, but did finish with...'if I don't hear back, I will continue to call every day and leave a msg until we talk or I am informed as to the status of my claim '. 

FYI...The lady at the National Office did allow that the online info stating "2-4 weeks" for processing most applications was total BS and the average time was 8 weeks. 

@Skeptic7 I've been trying to call either FBU Manila or the Baltimore office (@410-965-0160. Have been trying now for almost a week and all i get is all lines are busy. I've also tried the main 1-800 number for SSA but I can't get through there either except when I did try the automated system, it did tell me that my claim has not yet been approved but was not able to get to a live agent. Is this the number you called or is there another number ? Frustrating as hell ! Good luck with getting your application done soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made an appointment for my SS and had a face to face to get my application going in Nevada 2019. Yes, I flew from TL all the way back just for that.

The one mandatory online benefit was for my minor daughter in Thailand for which going through Manilla was the only way.

Edited by EVENKEEL

1 hour ago, DineshR said:

@Skeptic7 I've been trying to call either FBU Manila or the Baltimore office (@410-965-0160. Have been trying now for almost a week and all i get is all lines are busy. I've also tried the main 1-800 number for SSA but I can't get through there either except when I did try the automated system, it did tell me that my claim has not yet been approved but was not able to get to a live agent. Is this the number you called or is there another number ? Frustrating as hell ! Good luck with getting your application done soon.

Have called 800 772 1213 twice in the past month. First time, after listening to a couple mins of automated babble and finally stating my SS#, name and DOB to the voice response system I said "representative" and was connected to a person after a few mins on hold. The second time going through the same rigmarole followed by 35 mins on hold before someone answered. Just like you, have tried calling the 410 number with the same BS unsatisfactory and unacceptable result...'all agents are busy. please call back another time'...then disconnected. Typical government runaround and ????????:post-4641-1156693976:

U-2 good luck. Imagine we will both be processed in their inept and excruciatingly slow time, but yes, extremely frustrating. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Alotoftravel Here's an update. I followed Skeptic7's advice and called the 800 number. This was on Nov 1. Don't waste your time with either the Baltimore or FBU Manila number.  It is hard trying to get an agent via the 800 number as it keeps steering you back to the automated system. So whatever it kept asking me, I just kept replying 'agent" and after 2 or 3 tries, it finally acknowledged that I wanted to speak to an agent. That said, I had to wait almost 30 mins before I was connected to an agent. Here's what the agent told me - (1) said there was still time to ensure I got my benefits on time in December as I had requested (2) checked my file and discovered that my file was actually in the Baltimore office (though my previous emails came from FBU Manila). The agent told me he would try and get me the number of the person in the Baltimore office that had my file. He spent some time looking for it and then finally said he could not find it. He offered to message the Baltimore office about the status of my file and requested that they get back to me.

On Nov 2, the day after the call, I get an email from FBU Manila requesting my foreign address. So I promptly replied back with my foreign address. Later that afternoon, I get another email  from the same person @ FBU Manila asking me for my full name, contact number and foreign address. I had previously supplied all of this information several times before to the same person in FBU Manila - On Aug 10 via an email to FBU Manila when I submitted my application, Sep 27 when I was asked for my contact info, Oct 12 for all of my contact info again ! And now on Nov 2. All basically the same info. The reason stated for requesting that info was to schedule me for a phone interview. I am yet to hear back. At this point, I am not planning any more follow up. I am planning on going back to the states and will go visit a social security office there.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, DineshR said:

@Alotoftravel Here's an update. I followed Skeptic7's advice and called the 800 number. This was on Nov 1. Don't waste your time with either the Baltimore or FBU Manila number.  It is hard trying to get an agent via the 800 number as it keeps steering you back to the automated system. So whatever it kept asking me, I just kept replying 'agent" and after 2 or 3 tries, it finally acknowledged that I wanted to speak to an agent. That said, I had to wait almost 30 mins before I was connected to an agent. Here's what the agent told me - (1) said there was still time to ensure I got my benefits on time in December as I had requested (2) checked my file and discovered that my file was actually in the Baltimore office (though my previous emails came from FBU Manila). The agent told me he would try and get me the number of the person in the Baltimore office that had my file. He spent some time looking for it and then finally said he could not find it. He offered to message the Baltimore office about the status of my file and requested that they get back to me.

On Nov 2, the day after the call, I get an email from FBU Manila requesting my foreign address. So I promptly replied back with my foreign address. Later that afternoon, I get another email  from the same person @ FBU Manila asking me for my full name, contact number and foreign address. I had previously supplied all of this information several times before to the same person in FBU Manila - On Aug 10 via an email to FBU Manila when I submitted my application, Sep 27 when I was asked for my contact info, Oct 12 for all of my contact info again ! And now on Nov 2. All basically the same info. The reason stated for requesting that info was to schedule me for a phone interview. I am yet to hear back. At this point, I am not planning any more follow up. I am planning on going back to the states and will go visit a social security office there.

It would behove you to make an appointment first in the state of which you are resident.

DineshR,

Thanks for the update. Good luck in the states .

Per ssa online status , Baltimore has my app and will take 2-4 weeks to process so I will wait end of this month, November to call the 800-772-1213 if needed .

I did make a notary appointment , chiang mai usa consulate since their earliest appointment is at the end of the month to obtain certified copies needed for Manila fbu. I guess I can also use their mail in service too if Manila does not contact me by then.

9 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

DineshR,

Thanks for the update. Good luck in the states .

Per ssa online status , Baltimore has my app and will take 2-4 weeks to process so I will wait end of this month, November to call the 800-772-1213 if needed .

I did make a notary appointment , chiang mai usa consulate since their earliest appointment is at the end of the month to obtain certified copies needed for Manila fbu. I guess I can also use their mail in service too if Manila does not contact me by then.

And keep in mind those blessed/notarized copies are free when applying for federal benefits like SS pension....don't let them mistakenly charge you $50 per notarized copy.

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

And keep in mind those blessed/notarized copies are free when applying for federal benefits like SS pension....don't let them mistakenly charge you $50 per notarized copy.

I had SS papers notarized in Bangkok and yes they charged $50.

37 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I had SS papers notarized in Bangkok and yes they charged $50.

If you clearly identified/proved  you needed the SS papers for application of federal benefits (like an email/doc from SS/Manila FBU saying they needed to see your original or a certified/notarized copy of your passport and/or naturalization certificate you may want to try to get a refund.   At the U.S. Embassy Bangkok website it even says no fee  for SS application like when using their mail-in service to get your docs blessed.  No fee also if  you make an in-person appoint. 

There is a U.S. State Dept regulations that also says (or use to say...expect it still does) no fee for notarization of docs required for federal benefits...and it might have even been for state/local govt benefits also....today I google a little and see if I can stumble across that St Dept regulation again..

Below from US Embassy-Bangkok Website

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/certified-true-copies-of-original-documents-and-foreign-passports-for-use-with-social-security-applications-when-requested-by-fbu-manila/

image.png.1f7d5b93fda0f48cc1d86604dc5c5400.png

And another US Embassy-Bangkok webpage talking notary services they "can" provide (and those they can't)

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

If you clearly identified/proved  you needed the SS papers for application of federal benefits (like an email/doc from SS/Manila FBU saying they needed to see your original or a certified/notarized copy of your passport and/or naturalization certificate you may want to try to get a refund.   At the U.S. Embassy Bangkok website it even says no fee  for SS application like when using their mail-in service to get your docs blessed.  No fee also if  you make an in-person appoint. 

There is a U.S. State Dept regulations that also says (or use to say...expect it still does) no fee for notarization of docs required for federal benefits...and it might have even been for state/local govt benefits also....today I google a little and see if I can stumble across that St Dept regulation again..

Below from US Embassy-Bangkok Website

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/certified-true-copies-of-original-documents-and-foreign-passports-for-use-with-social-security-applications-when-requested-by-fbu-manila/

image.png.1f7d5b93fda0f48cc1d86604dc5c5400.png

And another US Embassy-Bangkok webpage talking notary services they "can" provide (and those they can't)

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

For me it was almost 3 yrs ago when I applied for daughter's benefits. I'm only miffed at the large charge per signature. I had some real estate papers signed recently at Embassy, $150. for 3 signatures, c'mon.

Below snapshot is a [artial quote of a Dept of State (DoS) Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM) talking how the DoS (which includes its embassies) will bless (i.e., notarize) docs related to Social Security Regional Foreign Benefit Office (like Manila SS FBU) when that office requests it from the person applying.   In the past this request would normally be a sentence in an email/docs from Manila saying they needed to see your original passport and/or naturalization certificate (or whatever doc) "OR" a certified/notarized copy.   That was proof to the embassy you were indeed applying for federal benefits....be sure to show them the request from SSA/Manila in order to get the fee-free notarization.   Now below FAM doesn't get into fees; just says the SSA reimburses the DoS for services.

Additionally, there is a DoS regulation that states in a paragraph they will not charge a fee for notarization of docs required for federal benefits like SS.....and if I remember right it even applied to state and maybe local govt benefits....I have posted it once or twice years back in old AseanNow threads/posts relating to SS application and just can't find it now....I should have bookmarked that reg but I didn't.

https://fam.state.gov/fam/07fam/07fam0530.html

image.png.8d91554f7154949ebd3b69247bd6beb9.png

Edited by Pib

hi Pib,

Looking at the checklist ( mail in option) to get the documents certified 

it seems that consulate do not need that Manila fbu email . I Just fill in the check list.

to confirm : I provide 

original passport , a photocopy of the passport page with details / pic

original naturalization certificate , a copy of this certificate

Then send it to Chiang mai consulate with the 100 baht bank draft with the checklist 

Their Remarks: If requesting document is U.S. passport; it must be SIGNED by a bearer of passport.

does this mean i need to sign the photo copy of my passport page ?

thanks