Starting Social Security benefits

Hello,

I just submitted my application to start social security benefits. I have read some prior posts on this topic before and I remember that benefits for expats in Thailand would normally be handled out of the Manila office.

I was a little surprised when I received an email stating that my application would be handled out of the Baltimore, Maryland office even though my application clearly states that I live in Thailand.

Has anyone experienced their applications being handled out of the US instead of out of Manila ?

Any advice appreciated. TIA

When I applied about 3 years ago it was automatically moved to the Philippines office.  My wife had been collecting SS before we moved here.  When I applied they asked if my wife was living here also.  So they said her account needed to move to the Philippines office also.

The biggest difference seems to be the date you get your payments each month.  The ones out of the Philippines are paid on the 3rd each month.  Previous to that my wife had been getting her payment late in the month.  Pretty sure in the US the payment dates are set based on your last name.

Also there is some form you are supposed to submit each year when living overseas to verify your address I guess.  I have not had to do it yet because they had cancelled it the last few years due to covid.

I would not be surprised if your initial application is handled in the US but then moved to the Philippines.  Pretty sure mine worked like that.  I applied online and then later received a phone call from the Philippines office.  They sent me some emails with forms to fill out and send back to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

When I applied about 3 years ago it was automatically moved to the Philippines office.  My wife had been collecting SS before we moved here.  When I applied they asked if my wife was living here also.  So they said her account needed to move to the Philippines office also.

The biggest difference seems to be the date you get your payments each month.  The ones out of the Philippines are paid on the 3rd each month.  Previous to that my wife had been getting her payment late in the month.  Pretty sure in the US the payment dates are set based on your last name.

Also there is some form you are supposed to submit each year when living overseas to verify your address I guess.  I have not had to do it yet because they had cancelled it the last few years due to covid.

I would not be surprised if your initial application is handled in the US but then moved to the Philippines.  Pretty sure mine worked like that.  I applied online and then later received a phone call from the Philippines office.  They sent me some emails with forms to fill out and send back to them.

rwill,

I’ve been getting social security payments for about 2 years.  Like you I receive payment on the 3rd of every month.  In the US it’s based on the first letter of your last name.  During COVID they did not send out the annual letter to confirm that you are still alive.  I received my first one about 2 months ago.  It had a couple of questions asking about if I started working again.  I had to sign it and have a.witness sign it.  It then needs to be returned 5o the US by mail.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

payment dates in U. S.  Are based on your Birthday day,  mines is the 14th so I get 3rd Weds of each month. 

You can also establish a account online requesting paperless

I noticed in logging on one should have a VPN,  their website only works during their business hours.  When setting up make sure code verification you put down your email address it will be sent their with number for final step to log in. 

A bit of a hassle but website is very useful. 

The Social Security facility at the United States Embassy In Manila does not process or pay benefits.  It’s for any issues and questions people overseas might have. 
Processing and payment is done from the United States. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I recently applied for SS and did so online with my Thailand address. Was asked if I wanted the money deposited into a US bank or Thai bank. I want it deposited into my US bank account. When I received the confirmation email, it stated it was being handled in Baltimore, which is what I expected. 

This thread may be of some help.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1245468-sign-up-for-us-social-security-at-“my-social-security”-or-manila-office/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, statman78 said:

’ve been getting social security payments for about 2 years.  Like you I receive payment on the 3rd of every month.  In the US it’s based on the first letter of your last name.  During COVID they did not send out the annual letter to confirm that you are still alive.  I received my first one about 2 months ago.  It had a couple of questions asking about if I started working again.  I had to sign it and have a.witness sign it.  It then needs to be returned 5o the US by mail.

Do you remember how long you ad to return the form?  I ask because I am not always at my primary Thai address.

Living abroad do we get these letters once a year?

When having a foreign address onfile with the SSA are paid on the 3rd of the month regardless of birthday, name, SSN, etc.    

However, for folks having a U.S. address onfile the payment date get more complicated but is generally based on your birthdate during the month unless you were already drawing benefits before 1 May 1997.  Now that does not mean you are paid on your birthday but based on the SSA chart below which works out to four possible dates during the month. .   It is not based on last name, SSN, etc.  

And say you now have a foreign address and getting paid on the 3rd, once/if you move back to the U.S. and provide your U.S. address to the SSA your monthly payment date will be in accordance with below.  Move back overseas and you'll be switched back to the 3rd of each month.

image.png.bbb6a34a0d90655c5c084035373bca26.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

I was a little surprised when I received an email stating that my application would be handled out of the Baltimore, Maryland office even though my application clearly states that I live in Thailand.

I"m assuming you applied online, and if so, the email you got about Baltimore (where International Operations headquarters is) handling your application is all normal.  However, Baltimore may still request Manila's involvement "depending" on your application, any questions/additional info required by SSA to finalize your application, etc. 

But if you are a U.S. citizen by birth and didn't have a complicated work history/earnings record chances are good your application will be approved without additional info/docs required by the SSA.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, swm59nj said:

The Social Security facility at the United States Embassy In Manila does not process or pay benefits.  It’s for any issues and questions people overseas might have. 
Processing and payment is done from the United States. 

When I applied a couple of years ago, the office in Manila did give me a phone call to very some of the information on mt application.

@Skeptic7Thanks for the link. Tons of really good info there.

@PibI applied online using the "my Social Security" account I had signed up for many years ago.

In that account, I list my address as the mail forwarding service address that I use to forward all my mail from the US to wherever I am. All my mail goes to this mail forwarding service address. The service alerts me to any incoming mail and I can then choose to forward (or hold or delete) that mail or a bunch of mail to wherever I want to send them at a time I choose.

However, when I filled out the online form for claiming my social security benefit, I listed my mailing address as the one for my mail forwarder (which is in my social security account) and also indicated on the form that this is not where I reside. There is a little box which you tick to indicate that this is not your residential address. I then provided my residence address where it is asked for in the next section - my Thailand residence address.

As an aside, I am paying for Medicare and Medicare sends their bills to my mail forwarding address (which is the address used on my social security account). My tax returns show my Thailand address.

I am a naturalized (not by birth) US citizen. My work history/earnings is not complicated.

I am hoping this not going to cause any confusion or delays. 

Thank you everyone for the very useful info and comments and the links. Lot to learn.

Quick update. Just logged in to my social security account and saw this notification - my application is currently being reviewed by a representative in the Philippines office and the review process normally takes between 2-4 weeks.  It moved pretty quick from Baltimore to the Philippines since I submitted the application Thursday morning Thai time.

DineshR,

Good to hear your application is moving along.   

Since you listed your Thailand "residential" address that was probably the primary reason your application has been forwarded to Manila for assistance in processing.  Manila may want to do a telephone interview with you and also ask for some docs like maybe your U.S. passport and/or Naturalization Certificate.   With the Thailand residential address this will also mean you will get a Are You Dead or Alive 7162 form each year to complete and return.

Although you have a social security number and a U.S. citizen with U.S. passport since the SSA and other government agencies like the USCIS, IRS, etc., share little information due to privacy laws and/or IT system that do not interface with each other.    So, the SSA may end-up wanting to confirm certain things...like documented proof you are a U.S. citizen proven by providing your "original" U.S. passport and/or Naturalization Certificate OR providing a certified copies instead.   This may have been another factor in your application being forwarded to Manila for some assistance.

You would mail the originals to Manila and they would return them after review, but if going to the U.S. Embassy-Bangkok or U.S. Consulate-Chiang Mai is not too hard for you either of those places can provide certified/notarized copies for "free" (no $50 fee per notarized doc) in accordance with State Dept regulations since you are applying for a federal benefit like SS pension.  All the Embassy/Consulate does it notarize a copy of the docs which satisfies the Manila FBU....and the Embassy/Consulate may even forward those copies to Manila if you desire....they use to forward if requested but I don't know about now.    I've been thru this process when I hand-walked two dual citizens (i.e., Thai and U.S,) thru their SS application process with Manila.   In both cases Manila required the U.S. passport and/or Naturalization Certificate.....and those applicants did "not" send their original docs to Manila but just the certified/notarized copies.   

Manila may ask for some other docs.   Each person's application and life/work story is different....some are applying on their own earnings records....some on a spouse's earning record.....some of divorced....some are Naturalized citizens....some are not U.S. citizens....some earn benefits from other countries which can complicate an application.....all kinds of possible variations from individuals....this is why we read all these different happy or sad SS pension application stories on social media.

Although Manila will not be involved also, you are "definitely better off" having to deal with Manila on this side of the world if needing to provide additional docs as you can email/fax/snail mail the docs to Manila whereas Baltimore on the other side of the word is pretty much "snail mail based" for docs.   If having to mail some docs they can get to Manila a lot faster than Baltimore.

Once Manila completes their review they will forward the application back to Baltimore for final approval as a formality. 

Good luck and Cheers,

Pib

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, DineshR said:

Quick update. Just logged in to my social security account and saw this notification - my application is currently being reviewed by a representative in the Philippines office and the review process normally takes between 2-4 weeks.  It moved pretty quick from Baltimore to the Philippines since I submitted the application Thursday morning Thai time.

Are you having your money deposited into a US or Thai bank? 

@Skeptic7 My preference is into my Thai bank account. I did state this in my online application although the online form did not have a drop down selection choice for Thailand. I later, in the comments/remarks box at the tail end of the application, specifically stated that I wanted a direct deposit into my Thai bank account assuming no incremental charges over that of depositing into my US bank account and made note of the fact that while the drop down choices did not show Thailand, I had read through expat forums that direct deposit into Thailand was now possible.  As an aside, I am going to request US$ deposits into my Thai bank FCD account as opposed to a Thai baht deposit. I prefer to control when I transfer into Thai baht.

@Pib Thank you very much for your detailed comments. With regard to submitting "originals", I would rather not send originals such as passports etc via postal or courier services. I will do, as you suggest, get notarized copies from the US embassy. I would like to know though, how one would usually send these notarized documents over to the Manila office - via Thai post regular mail, EMS or carriers such as Fed-ex etc. Or can I send them via the US embassy ? I will check the US embassy site later for any info on this service. Thai post EMS has become quite expensive now. I just sent some documents over to the US and the charge was THB1550 via Thai EMS.

What about the form 7162 ? How are those mailed ? Via EMS as well ? Via the US embassy ? I am presuming that one would need some certainty that the form was delivered to avoid the hassles of benefit interruptions.

Thanks again for all the useful information.

21 hours ago, Pib said:

You have 60 days from the date on the form the SSA sends you.  If you do not respond to that notice they send a follow-up which gives you 45 days to respond.   If not responding to either your payment will be suspended for the January and forward payment (i.e., no payment occurring on 3 Feb).  

So then everyone using a Thai address for SS should have received this letter by now?  

I will be back at my Thailand address in mid-September and I suppose there will be a letter waiting for me.

How do you guys return the form?   Regular mail or some sort of registered mail?

While it doesn't matter too much if I have delayed SS payments for a few months, it seems like it will be a hassle to sort it out.

@PibThank you very much for your helpful comments. I apologize if this is taking too much of your time but it truly is much appreciated.

- On the 2 methods you mentioned, clearly the IDD route would not be preferable for me since the transfers would be in baht. 

- I currently send US$ from my bank in the US to Bangkok Bank (Bangkok based account though I live outside Bangkok). I send this money using Bangkok Bank's swift code and my account number. As far as I know, I get charged US$4 at the US side and approx US$6 on the Thai side which ties in with the $10 you cite. However, this is not a special/restricted account as I am able to conduct transactions (mostly US$ to Thai baht conversions) online. When I need baht in the province I live in, then I transfer it from the Bangkok THB account to my local branch THB account and there are no charges associated with this transfer.

- Can I not use this same method with my social security payments ??? It is in direct contradiction to what you have said where swift cannot be used to transfer US$ because my transfer receipts for the US$ transfer clearly shows a swift routing code - 

Routing ID: SWIFTBKKBTHBK

I have read other threads in this forum on the ACH vs swift issues but I never did dig into it because I never had any issues with direct transfers and the whole issue was complicated.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here since I am not even at the first call stage.

With respect to the mailing methods, I will check on the inter embassy transfers when I go to the embassy for notarizing the documents.

Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, DineshR said:

- Can I not use this same method with my social security payments ??? It is in direct contradiction to what you have said where swift cannot be used to transfer US$ because my transfer receipts for the US$ transfer clearly shows a swift routing code - 

When doing a SWIFT transfer any type of currency can be transferred....like when you transfer USD from your U.S. bank to your Thai bank.  

However, although IDD uses SWIFT, the U.S. Treasury/SSA will only transfer baht to Thailand if you sign up for IDD....the SSA will not transfer USD to Thailand using IDD.   It's just the way IDD is.    If you don't want your monthly payment to arrive in baht at an exchange rate determined by the U.S. Treasury, but want USD instead....then IDD will not work for you.  You will need to use the ACH method where the SSA pays USD to any U.S. bank....to include the Bangkok Bank NY branch who relays the payment to your in-Thailand bank acct.   But remember, if having the pension sent via ACH to your Bangkok Bank acct a special/restricted acct will be required.   Or have the SSA pay your benefit to your current U.S. bank and then you do SWIFT transfer or use a money transfer service like Wise to transfer when when you want to.

• Thanks 1

Those using monthly pay method for retirement extension changing bank or bank account number tales time and delay for receipt of payment to new account. Best to leave prior account open until 

payment is received in new account.

In my case I closed the US old account thinking if it does get sent it will get rejected. No old bank accepted and mailed a check, another long process to get funds in Thai account. Immigration purpose it showed no deposit in October which immigration agreed to logic because next money was double…. But nope can’t accept so started all over again.. 

• Like 1

I started SSA 3 years ago and the Baltimore office made a mess of it and rejected my claim.

I live in Vietnam. 

Later I learned that Manila handles all applications for Asia, engaged them and it went smoothly.

I receive direct deposit to my US bank like clockwork each month.

Just forget whatever you've done with Maryland thus far and work through Manila.

Email:  [email protected] 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, DineshR said:

@PibThank you very much for your helpful comments. I apologize if this is taking too much of your time but it truly is much appreciated.

- On the 2 methods you mentioned, clearly the IDD route would not be preferable for me since the transfers would be in baht. 

- I currently send US$ from my bank in the US to Bangkok Bank (Bangkok based account though I live outside Bangkok). I send this money using Bangkok Bank's swift code and my account number. As far as I know, I get charged US$4 at the US side and approx US$6 on the Thai side which ties in with the $10 you cite. However, this is not a special/restricted account as I am able to conduct transactions (mostly US$ to Thai baht conversions) online. When I need baht in the province I live in, then I transfer it from the Bangkok THB account to my local branch THB account and there are no charges associated with this transfer.

I have read other threads in this forum on the ACH vs swift issues but I never did dig into it because I never had any issues with direct transfers and the whole issue was complicated.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here since I am not even at the first call stage.

With respect to the mailing methods, I will check on the inter embassy transfers when I go to the embassy for notarizing the documents.

Thank you very much.

Just saw this post @dinesh

For 10 years I've been withdrawing locally from ATMs here in Vietnam.

Ok, the Thai ATM $6 fee is big, but at least it's simple.

I bank at a local credit union in the US instead of one of the fancy banks.  I pay $1 total for each withdrawal, so if practical you can research another US financial institution. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 7:46 PM, Pib said:

Or have the SSA pay your benefit to your current U.S. bank and then you do SWIFT transfer or use a money transfer service like Wise to transfer when when you want to.

For sure. You already have a US bank account, from which you've made transfers to Thailand. So, you've got the infrastructure set up, so why not just have your SS check direct deposited. And you mentioned you want to keep your SS payments in dollars, which certainly occurs with this method. Why complicate matters....?

@JimGant Agreed. I just might do that if it gets complicated.

As an aside, 3 weeks and counting and have not heard back from SSA on status of application. The site says it usually takes between 2-4 weeks to process applications so will wait till the end of this week to follow up with a call to the Manila office.

2 hours ago, DineshR said:

@JimGant Agreed. I just might do that if it gets complicated.

As an aside, 3 weeks and counting and have not heard back from SSA on status of application. The site says it usually takes between 2-4 weeks to process applications so will wait till the end of this week to follow up with a call to the Manila office.

8 weeks on and still pending for me. Says 2-4 weeks for most people. Guess I am not "most people". :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1