Starting Social Security benefits

44 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Their Remarks: If requesting document is U.S. passport; it must be SIGNED by a bearer of passport.

does this mean i need to sign the photo copy of my passport page .

No...it means just above the passport main page (main page is page 2 of passport...page with your photo) there is a place on page 3 for your signature where you are suppose to sign as soon as you get the passport.  Summary: ensure you have signed your passport on passport page 3 signature line.

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

hi Pib,

Looking at the checklist ( mail in option) to get the documents certified 

it seems that consulate do not need that Manila fbu email . I Just fill in the check list.

That's all you can do.  Since the top of the checklist which you must include in the package is titled as snapshot below which requires your initials on the checklist I guess that good enough for them.  The certified copy "might" include a statement somewhere on it that the certified copy is for application of SS/federal benefits which you will be sending to SS FBU Manila.

image.png.1df0f4ca4cc62a72a226b8a610cd8b55.png

Now "before" if you went to the embassy/consulate to get the blessed copy of your passport/naturalization certificate for SS benefit purposes the embassy/consulate would also send those blessed copies directly to Manila FBU for you....OR, you could have them back for you to mail/email. 

I said "before" because the last person I hand-walked thru this process (a dual U.S./Thai citizen) about five years ago I told her when getting the fee-free certified copies ask them if they would send to the Manila FBU since it part of the U.S. Embassy-Manila....and the U.S. Embassy-Bangkok gladly did such.   They apparently used embassy to embassy post....it just went from embassy to embassy.   "If they will still do this" when a person askes that can save a person money in mailing costs/time from Thailand to Manila unless the Manila FBU rep has said they will accept a scanned/faxed/email copy of the certified copy.   When the person came back from the embassy we sent an email to the Manila FBU saying the Bangkok embassy had blessed and sent the docs to Manila.  In only four days later after notifying Manila the Bangkok embassy had sent the docs the Manila FBU rep replied saying the docs had been receive via post and her application was approved.

3 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Pib,

thanks for your replies 

and congrats on ltr or if not processed yet, good luck .

Thanks....ltr is still processing.....ain't got a clue if it will be approved....especially the Tricare insurance.   I figure I will not know for "at least" another two weeks....probably three.

10 hours ago, DineshR said:

The agent told me he would try and get me the number of the person in the Baltimore office that had my file.

Does no good. I actually got the name and number of the person with my file. Have called repeatedly...half dozen times minimum...and every time voice mail stating 'the person is unavailable to take your call. Leave a message ' Have left polite, detailed but assertive messages asking for a call back to my USA phone number. No call backs. 4 months and 1 day with ZERO progress. Still stuck on Step 2 and nobody knows anything. TOTALLY clueless. :post-4641-1156693976: 

Edited by Skeptic7

Your SS payments officially start in the month you designate when you apply, and that fixes the monthly payment amount.

If in fact your payments start later due to processing delays, you'll get a make-up payment for the missed months; the monthly amount does not increase.

And when I had my phone call, the guy told me the precise monthly amount.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many comments since my last one but thought I would add some info.

1. I had notarized copies made of my documents in early September in anticipation of Manila asking me for them. Done at the US Embassy in Bangkok. There was no charge for the notarized certified true copies. In fact, they asked me if I wanted 2 copies - so I said yes. Gave me 2 sets at no cost but the certified copies are stamped with a note stating that these are only for use by SSA. So, you can't use them for anything else.

2. I asked about the US Embassy forwarding the copies over to FBU Manila - was told that they have long since stopped that practice.

3. As for getting it done by sending originals via mail to the Embassy - call me paranoid but my nightmare scenario is if the original documents are lost in the mail .. you are, sc#$%d ! I set up an appointment at the Embassy in Bangkok and made a trip to BKK to just get the certified copies done. Be advised that sometimes appointments can be full as far as 3  or 4 weeks out.

• Thanks 1

Just to note that when I applied for Social Security years back it was handled in Baltimore.

What was a bit unsettling, at first, was that the officer who responded had a (definitely) Nigerian name.

But everything went smoothly -- reason for phone conversation was maybe declining Part B benefits.

• Haha 1

Yes , i made my chiang mai usa appointment (eom nov)  in preparation of my manila interview (jan3,). I replied to manila to inform that they wrote jan 2 , 2022.instead of 2023.

i am going to bring following to certify:

passport 

naturalization paper

birth certificate 

any thoughts of other documents , 

i was thinking of divorce papers but might be overkill.

A quick update. Received an email this morning for a phone interview scheduled in January 2023. This was in response to an inquiry I sent using the FBU Manila inquiry form. I note that my direct emails did not elicit a response but the request sent via the inquiry form did.  The email did state what areas would be covered by the phone call - birth, marriage/divorce, bank routing etc. But no request for certified copies of any document. I did reply and ask if any certified copies would be required. Making progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DineshR said:

A quick update. Received an email this morning for a phone interview scheduled in January 2023. This was in response to an inquiry I sent using the FBU Manila inquiry form. I note that my direct emails did not elicit a response but the request sent via the inquiry form did.  The email did state what areas would be covered by the phone call - birth, marriage/divorce, bank routing etc. But no request for certified copies of any document. I did reply and ask if any certified copies would be required. Making progress.

Boy, Manila is sure dragging their feet on your application (no to imply it's your fault).  But I'm glad you finally got an interview appointment even if it is still approx 2 months away.   

Regarding any certified copies Manila will probably wait till the interview to tell you what, if any, docs you need to send to them, but it's common for naturalized citizens being required to send their original or certified copies of U.S. passport "or" naturalization certificate.   Play it safe and send certified copies...even send "both" passport and naturalization certificate even if they just ask for one of them.   I know you have already prepared embassy certified copies.  

Good luck.

And due to Manila's slow processing of your application I expect your requested benefits begin month will have passed by the time the SSA finally approves your application and begins payment. 

Now while the SSA would provide back payments to your originally requested benefits start date you might want to consider having the Manila  rep during the interview to update the benefits start month to 1 Jan or 1 Feb as that would entitle you to a higher monthly payment for life.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Pib Thank you for your comments. I did reply to their email this morning and asked if they required any documents. Not expecting a reply but we'll see. On the start of benefits, on one of my calls to the 800 number, one of the agents mentioned that there was still a lot of time left yet to ensure I received benefits on time. I had requested benefits start in December - he clarified that benefits are paid in arrears i.e. if I start benefits in December, I would get paid in January. So, it's still possible to see a payment in January. That said, your idea of delaying the start date to either January or February is a good one and I will definitely ask to see if that is doable.

My conference call had no details of what is to be discussed i.e divorce, etc

However I plan to go to embassy prior to the conf call to get following certified copies:

passport

birth cert

naturization paper

Yes, the conf call is 2 months late too, for me based on my SS app submit date.

DinesR, Why would you delay your payment?

They will back pay if they are late, changing your benefit day would mean no back pay, unless you delay for a year which will be larger amount because you start SS later. Is that correct?

@Alotoftravel The amount of your social security benefit depends on when you take it. The base benefit is defined for your age of retirement ...for those of us taking it now, our base retirement age is 66 years. For every year you delay taking benefits, your benefit is increased by 8%(up to the age of 70). So, if your monthly benefit should be $1000 at age 66, then if you delay till age 67, your monthly benefit goes up by 8% i.e. $1080. You get this benefit for the rest of your life. Suppose you delay till age 68, then your monthly benefit increases to $1166 (1080*1.08). On the other hand, if you were to take benefits at age 65 instead of your base age of 66, then your benefits would decrease by 8% i.e. it would be $920. If you took it at age 62, then your benefit would be 1000*.92*.92*.92*.92 = $716 .... so in answer to your question, by delaying the start of my benefit by one month, I would be increasing my benefit by (.08/12) i.e. if my original benefit at my desired start date were to be $1000, then by delaying it one month, my new monthly benefit would be $1006 ... seems small but over a year I get an extra $72 and that increased benefit is for your lifetime. If one could wait, and one's health is good, then it may make sense to wait until 70 to claim benefits. It all depends on one's own financial circumstances as well as health, I think, that defines when the appropriate time would be to take benefits. If you can increase your monthly benefit, why not ?

The other thing to remember is that retirement benefits are paid in arrears ...so if you wanted benefits in December, it actually gets paid in January. And yes, if it is delayed, they do back pay if they are late.

Someone correct me if my understanding is incorrect. Hope this helps.

On 11/16/2022 at 7:56 AM, DineshR said:

quick update. Received an email this morning for a phone interview scheduled in January 2023.

Reading your latest update made me decide to check my status for the first time in a week, despite being on a 10-day holiday in Chiang Mai. To my pleasant surprise...

IMG_20221117_214511.jpg.a4967838869ae1a5db60d27ed578d4c9.jpg

Took 4.5 months for approval...but no interview, no phone calls, no copies...no nuthin'. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Skeptic7 Awesome ... congrats !!! 

I checked my online account this morning but it still says the application is in process. However, there was a message in my inbox basically stating that my phone interview had been scheduled and in addition specified what documents I needed to bring to the interview. The only thing it asked for was either a bank account statement or a checkbook - to set up the benefit deposit info.  Making progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, DineshR said:

@Skeptic7 Awesome ... congrats !!! 

I checked my online account this morning but it still says the application is in process. However, there was a message in my inbox basically stating that my phone interview had been scheduled and in addition specified what documents I needed to bring to the interview. The only thing it asked for was either a bank account statement or a checkbook - to set up the benefit deposit info.  Making progress.

Thx. It was good to see. Also got an email from SSA stating my application status had changed and to check my online acct. But had already done so before ever noticing the email. Haha.

Looks as if you're almost there. Making progress is good and hopefully is processed swiftly from here. ????

• 3 months later...

Hello... It's been a while and I wanted to give an update to close this thread, from my perspective, which I had started last year. In my last update, I had indicated that I received an email which scheduled a phone interview. I had that phone interview on Jan 3, 2023. 

In that call, the representative (from FBU Manila) apologized for the long delay in getting to this point and said that the delay was caused by mis-directing my application to the Jacksonville, Florida office as the address I had in my online social security account had a Florida address - even though in my application, it was specifically stated that I lived abroad and filled in my Thailand address. Beyond that, there was not much discussion. She took my bank details for depositing benefits and mentioned that benefits would take no longer than April '23 to start and that I would receive all back payments together with the current payment no later than early April.

There was no requirement for certified copies of anything. I asked the representative about this and told her that I had the copies ready but she said they were not needed.

Shortly after that call, the status of my application in my online account was changed and indicated that my application had been approved.

Fast forward 3 weeks (around Jan 24), and I receive a large deposit from SSA into my account. At the same time, I receive a letter from SSA in my online SSA account inbox informing me of my approval, my benefits details and what was contained in my first deposit (which was for both December and January). They also indicated my February payment would be deposited on or about the 3rd of March and all subsequent 

payments would occur on or about the third of each month.

In retrospect, though the application process for my benefit application dragged out for almost 5 months, in the end, to be fair to SSA, my December payment was paid in January and my January payment was paid a little earlier than scheduled while the 3rd payment is on schedule. The only odd thing is that if one follows the table of birth date vs time of deposit, according to my birthdate, I should have been paid on the 3rd Wednesday of the month but instead, I am getting paid on the 3rd of the month per their letter. Perhaps they missed the word "Wednesday" after 3rd in their letter.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and helped me along in the process. Hopefully this thread can help others when they begin their benefit application process.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DineshR said:

The only odd thing is that if one follows the table of birth date vs time of deposit, according to my birthdate, I should have been paid on the 3rd Wednesday of the month but instead, I am getting paid on the 3rd of the month per their letter. Perhaps they missed the word "Wednesday" after 3rd in their letter.

Glad things worked out.   Regarding your payment date, when you have foreign address (i.e., non-U.S.) onfile with the SSA you payment occurs on the 3rd of the month.   Everyone with a foreign address gets paid on the 3rd of the month.

The schedule based on your birthdate only applies when you have a U.S. address onfile.

See this SSA webpage for more info on monthly payment date....I also included a partial snapshot from the webpage regarding those paid on the 3rd of each month.

https://blog.ssa.gov/what-day-of-the-month-do-i-get-my-social-security-payment/

image.png.9ffb22dfab7f77b2133fe84e47ac18fc.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1