Thai netizens in uproar over "brazen farang" who posted TikTok video of himself catching parrot fish

webfact

55 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I most certainly do.  You clearly do not.

It is.  I read the comment you were responding to.

It wasn't "whataboutism" because it was directly relevant to what happened and was in no way any kind of deflection.  It pointed out that Thai people do the exact same things but are not treated in the same way when they do so.  The point was to highlight this discrimination, not to say "Thais do bad things too, they're just as bad".  Hence it was not an example of "whataboutism".

Please look up the definition of "whataboutism" to save yourself further embarrassment.

I wouldn't bother arguing with him any more and when he's read what I'm going write now he will have a bit more to think about.

About 20 years ago me and an irish guy bought an ex fishing boat and used to do (amongst other things) fishing trips at a popular seaside resort. We had a crew of 5 including the captainall Thais of course and all had worked on commercial fishing boats previously.  Just like fishing with rods,  trawlers have no control over what they catch, They told me  dolphins occasionally got  caught in trawlers nets and although they couldn't be sold at the fishmarket , they were considered a welcome addition to the menu for the crew,  the young ones being the tastiest apparently !  I wonder if that puts things into perspective for him he didn't seem to like it the last time I mentioned perspective

4 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

It’s an irrelevant perspective. 

It’s absolutely useless. 

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Reefs are protected - fishing on any reef now is restricted and regulated........ fishing vessels may try to beach te regs but they too are prosecuted.

Thank you for the education, but what is your point

On 8/12/2022 at 2:06 PM, Archie Baker said:

Through in jail then deport him.  Confiscate the Thai boat and put the captain in jail then fine him.  They both knew what they were doing. 

Jail for fishing illegally (and through him in there too!). How about, if what he did was illegal, a fine of 5k baht or so?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 1:07 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Pity it's not protected it would be great to  make an example  of the muscle bound bully.

He might actually be a really nice guy, what makes you so sure he's a bully

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

OK - so totally uninformed then........ you should brush up on your ecology.

As has been pointed out several times, the captain is in sole charge of the boat, passengers have no control over where he drops anchor and i doubt any captain would  appreciate a "troublesome" tourist trying to tell him what they think he can and cannot do.  I suggest you try it sometime and see what happens.

I would also suggest that people should inform themselves a little better regarding the facts of what actually happened in this incident before vilifying a possibly innocent  tourist based on a photograph , his dress sense, his perceived nationality and the opinions of a few outraged "netizens"

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

My point is that both he and you need to brush up on tHai conservation policies before you go blundering about on reefs.

And people should  brush up on how due legal process is based on   facts and evidence before blundering about acting as judge and jury and condemning a man  based on a photograph that has triggered their sensitivities.

The guy posted an apology on Tik Tok also pointed out that seeing these parrot fish for sale at the market was not an indicator of prohibition 

For the judges and curious like out there this is his  @roslanofficial 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alyx said:

The guy posted an apology on Tik Tok also pointed out that seeing these parrot fish for sale at the market was not an indicator of prohibition 

For the judges and curious like out there this is his  @roslanofficial 

For those interested, here is a link to the video:

https://www.tiktok.com/@roslanofficial/video/7131357642156543238

Apparently he is in Bali now ????

Edited by Baron Samedi

12 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

Mind your own beeswax net citizen.  

I see no endangered fish in picture. Could have been taken anywhere in Asia.

You need hard facts before you start convicting someone net citizen. 

It was taken in Thailand. In a National Park.

But leave foreigners alone, I get it, we're better.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:55 PM, ozimoron said:

and ignore this? They can walk and chew gum at the same time.

There's a long record of foreigners trashing Thai reefs and disregarding the laws in nature parks.

Let's first determine if any "reef trashing" or "disregarding of laws in nature parks" has occurred. Thai bashing here seems second only to "falang bashing" in much of Thai news.

If true, then proceed with arrests, etc., but as already mentioned Parrot fish are not endangered and in fact apparently  commercially available.

42 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Let's first determine if any "reef trashing" or "disregarding of laws in nature parks" has occurred. Thai bashing here seems second only to "falang bashing" in much of Thai news.

If true, then proceed with arrests, etc., but as already mentioned Parrot fish are not endangered and in fact apparently  commercially available.

He was fishing in a nature park where it's illegal and has since apologized.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 2:06 PM, Bday Prang said:

oh yes that would be normal behaviour for a tourist wouldn't it ?   I can imagine the conversation ..........

"fancy a days fishing tomorrow dear" ? 

"Oh yes that sounds like fun but can we make it the day after as I need to go to the marine authorities first to check out the credentials of the captain" 

He calls himself a spear fisher, and should know, same as divers check out dive sites, and know where they are diving, and what the local rules is. 

End of story, he already apologized and said he normally do, but unfortunately did not this time. Now he is at the police station and being questioned. Then we will see what the captain and his crew will face. Eyes is on the police now, and what they will do to both parts.