Thai netizens in uproar over "brazen farang" who posted TikTok video of himself catching parrot fish

webfact

4 minutes ago, connda said:

I'd say it's up to the charter operator to inform clients of laws.  If I chartered a fishing boat in the US, I'd be reliant on the captain and crew to inform me of the limits and restrictions.

Yes, indeed. The boat Captain will know the Marine Park boundary lines, what species are legal to catch by season and quantity, any size restrictions, and on and on....99% of tourists will not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

and ignore this? They can walk and chew gum at the same time.

There's a long record of foreigners trashing Thai reefs and disregarding the laws in nature parks.

And an even longer and more illustrious record of Thais trashing reefs in NP and beyond either directly through illegal fishing, or by dropping anchors on reefs, or poor waste disposal methods or indirectly by non point source pollution such as  releasing sewage directly into oceans or, farm run off causing eutrophication  or from poorly though out development leading to massive sediment run off which blankets the reef in filth killing the corals at the base of the reef food chain. 

None of this actually matters though when you consider the vast ongoing damage caused to reefs and the reef community by climate change and ocean acidification for which each and every one of us (including the outraged netizins) is responsible for.  Fairly sure not a single outraged netizins has changed their lifestyle or reduce their carbon footprint to help mitigate the impact of climate change on the reefs. Easier to complain about foreigners fishing rather than do something meaningful isn't it? 

Just don't get me started on the local shrimp industry and the impact that has had on mangroves here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

Man goes fishing and catches fish.....why is this news????

I assume these netizins in "uproar" are fully aware and literate about the  role the Thai fishing industry has played in IUU (Illegal, Unregulated Unreported) fishing over the past years in Thailand waters which has decimated local fish stocks. I applaud their uproar and concern for Marine life. Maybe they could direct their rage at the local fishing industry which is cause significantly more damage than a single person fishing with presumably a rod and line. 

Citing the sins of the Thai fishing industry in no way mitigates or justifies the sins of another

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

and ignore this? They can walk and chew gum at the same time.

There's a long record of foreigners trashing Thai reefs and disregarding the laws in nature parks.

"They can walk and chew gum at the same time."

That's news to me.

Edited by jesimps

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I assume they understand that Parrot fish decimate coral reefs. Not that I agree with him catching all of the ones he shows in the photo but just thought I would add that fishy fact.

"Many said that parrot fish were an important part of the marine ecosystem especially in their ability to help coral propagate."

And assuming that you are prepared to accept "written testimony" from an organisation that is probably well qualified to make comment, "The Nature Conservancy" - this is their take on it:-

"Parrotfish are colorful, tropical creatures that spend about 90% of their day eating algae off coral reefs. This almost-constant eating performs the essential task of cleaning the reefs which helps the corals stay healthy and thriving."

And from "Science Daily" :-

"Parrotfish are critical to coral reef health, study finds"

It would be interesting to know where you got your "fishy fact" from that "Parrotfish decimate coral reefs"?

Edited by sambum
Grammar/Punctuation
  • Like 1

It is not a protected species so what is the issue.

Is this just another "woke" issue where people in social media become "outraged" when pretty creatures (to the human eye) are killed.

They say that it's because it's a national park. Many years ago I was holidaying in a National park. I went on a boat trip (around the island) snorkelling. As part of the trip all the boat group (20-30) fished with handlines. The fish we caught were cooked by the crew and served to us with rice. Has this practice stopped with all these types of day tours?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

It is not a protected species so what is the issue.

Is this just another "woke" issue where people in social media become "outraged" when pretty creatures (to the human eye) are killed.

They say that it's because it's a national park. Many years ago I was holidaying in a National park. I went on a boat trip (around the island) snorkelling. As part of the trip all the boat group (20-30) fished with handlines. The fish we caught were cooked by the crew and served to us with rice. Has this practice stopped with all these types of day tours?

Yes they are - There have been quite a few high profile cases in Phuket over the last couple of years, tourists have been arrested for catching parrotfish and heavily fined. Restaurants have also been warned about having parrotfish on the menu. The fine is up to THB 100,000, a year in jail or both! for catching any parrotfish species under 50cm in length.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

Could be wrong, but I can only see 2 parrot fish in that pic. The one on the left has a forked tail like a Dart or similar.

Tusk Fish probably eat more coral than the smaller parrot fish and they also poop the beach sand in great quantities. 

For me, the strange part of the catch is the Moray Eel, why would you want to keep that? I've caught several of the slimy beasts over the years (was bitten by one once when snorkeling) and the way they tie up in knots around the line and squirm all over the floor of the boat makes it almost impossible to remove the hook. Always had to cut the line for release.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonclark said:

Maybe they could direct their rage at the local fishing industry which is cause significantly more damage than a single person fishing with presumably a rod and line

True, but then again the "big boys" don't video themselves doing this sort of s**t and most certainly aren't stupid enough to post it on TT/YT/FB/IG/ad infinitum.

While I don't understand what all the fuss is about, I really do fail to understand why anybody would video themselves fishing... Although it is an enjoyable past time, and I do fish myself occasionally, it has got to be the most boring hobby on a par with collecting stamps. 

Why record that and, more importantly, why would he think any living person would be interested in watching it?

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree it's wrong but if he's not the brightest bulb in the box he won't know or care (until.he has a hefty fine to pay).

But after landing the first fish the skipper whom I assume is local and would be up to date and abide with all the rules and regulations should have pointed out the error of his ways! 

Unless of course he didn't bother so long as he got a share!

I wonder how many byelaws were broken on the same day by Thai people?

They don't particularly want is here and are quick to jump on any infractions no matter how minor.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Of course NO shirt.  I'm absolutely amazed no tattoos.  

Farangs will always disrespect this country, break the laws, do everything bad..........

So far, it hasn't affected my experience (except when COVID was a thing and every falang should be given 100 meters of space and shameful looks!!! lol).

Trending Number One in Thailand.......

Oh, look...........BAD BAD Falang!!!!      Everyone must watch.

We are doomed my fellow falang...................doomed!@!@!!!!

No shirt?who cares if he's wearing a bloody shirt or not?

• Like 2