Thai netizens in uproar over "brazen farang" who posted TikTok video of himself catching parrot fish

webfact

15 hours ago, wombat said:

If he hadn't been here it wouldn't have happened 

LOL........I remember in Saudi if you were unfortunate enough to have a car accident it was automatically 50% your fault straight off the bat. They said if you did not come to Saudi then there would be no accident.

26 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

LOL........I remember in Saudi if you were unfortunate enough to have a car accident it was automatically 50% your fault straight off the bat. They said if you did not come to Saudi then there would be no accident.

Yes,  they are a forward thinking lot.

They have only just let the girls drive. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one nation that did not deserve oil in the back yard.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

And bits of the coral

Bu are beneficial to the coral...eg in the Caribbean

Edited by jacko45k

22 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They are interested in preserving their environment. Thailand  has a middle class intelligentsia and many extremely  active  environmental groups.

Why are they still one of the biggest plastic polluters of the World's oceans? 

Why is the atmosphere hazardous to humans in certain areas during certain periods of the year?

Why are there no checks on heavily polluting diesel vehicles?

Etc. ????

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Citing the sins of the Thai fishing industry in no way mitigates or justifies the sins of another

Technically correct but it does put things into perspective. Something that is needed regarding this incident

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, SuwadeeS said:

They act like this then all the foreigners should in there home countries start to hunt on any little unlawful behavior for Thais.

They can and do but Thais in the UK, Europe and the USA are  more respectful,  sensitive  and law abiding- they just don't have  that 'white entitlement' that you see in tourists  here

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Technically correct but it does put things into perspective. Something that is needed regarding this incident

Not 'Technically ' correct but actually  correct. The twopence issues are quite separate and one does  not excuse the behaviour  of the other. It's not just about  fish. It's about  the vile bragadichio and insensitive,  bare chested posturing of some ignorant  tourists. I first  witnessed it in 1991 on the KSR with drunk  Brit, bare chested, football hooligan with union Jack shorts...

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Reefs are protected - fishing on any reef now is restricted and regulated........ fishing vessels may try to beach te regs but they too are prosecuted.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, AhFarangJa said:

I have an idea for the irate Netizens to ponder over. Why not arrest the Thai captain, and all his crew for allowing it to happen in the first place.

Because that’s not an offense. 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, AhFarangJa said:

If there is a law being broken, then they would be more knowledgeable than the Foreigner, therefore more culpable. 

In your fantasy legal system maybe. 

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's not just about  fish. It's about  the vile bragadichio and insensitive,  bare chested posturing of some ignorant  tourists.

"I'm not just mad about the crime, I'm mad because a White guy did it and I hate White people!"

At least you're honest about it! ????

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Reefs are protected - fishing on any reef now is restricted and regulated........ fishing vessels may try to beach te regs but they too are prosecuted.

I've been on several fishing trips here over the years and never once did I have any control over where the actual fishing took place, its all handled by the Captain  Sorry but I never thought to study any maritime charts so as to be able to advise the captain where we could and couldn't fish, neither would any other tourist,  its the skippers responsibility  and nobody else's the only exception would be if he was forced to be in the area against his will   

Obviously there  is no boundary marked so how on earth would the tourist have known he was in an illegal spot??  He couldn't have known  Maybe if he had known  he would have refused to fish   he would certainly have been more discreet . The fact that he posted his catch on the net kind of implies he didnt think anything was wrong and why would he.?

People can spout off ald day about "ignorance is no excuse" but on a boat somethings are out of your control.

If you were on a bus and the driver crashes are you responsible  ?  Of course not 

36 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Whataboutism, the favorite tool of those who have nothing to add, especially no arguments. 

I don't think you know what "whataboutism" is. 

I can tell you for free what it isn't; it isn't when someone points out that individuals ignore their own people doing something but then go crazy when a foreigner does the same thing.  That's simply pointing out hypocrisy.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I've been on several fishing trips here over the years and never once did I have any control over where the actual fishing took place, its all handled by the Captain  Sorry but I never thought to study any maritime charts so as to be able to advise the captain where we could and couldn't fish, neither would any other tourist,  its the skippers responsibility  and nobody else's the only exception would be if he was forced to be in the area against his will   

Obviously there  is no boundary marked so how on earth would the tourist have known he was in an illegal spot??  He couldn't have known  Maybe if he had known  he would have refused to fish   he would certainly have been more discreet . The fact that he posted his catch on the net kind of implies he didnt think anything was wrong and why would he.?

People can spout off ald day about "ignorance is no excuse" but on a boat somethings are out of your control.

If you were on a bus and the driver crashes are you responsible  ?  Of course not 

Thats the problem with Thailand, anyone can call themselves a fishing guide, and you are willing to take anyone who claim they are without checking. So, knowing Thailand, would it be a smart thing to do, and is it an accaptable excuse you did not know it was a national park you where fishing in? 

Is it an accaptable excuse «everyone else does» it when you getting fined for drunk driving?

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cocoonclub said:

Because that’s not an offense. 

In your fantasy legal system maybe. 

I think its quite likely that he dropped his anchor so it probably would have been an offense but once  you have explained  your fantasy legal system we will be better able to decide,  

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

It looks like you are a very irresponsible angler.

• Confused 1

Curious story. So this guy either came to Thailand with a fishing rod or acquired one here from a Thai shop without the Thai owner pointing to local Thai laws about fishing. He then asked around where he could hire a Thai fishing boat.

A Thai must have told him to talk to the Thai captain of a Thai boat. They reached an agreement on the price of the fishing expedition in Thai waters (which is is common tourist activity around the world). The Thai captain takes him to a place in a Thai national park without hesitation where he could fish without the Thai captail explaining that fishing in a Thai national park is illegal. Thais expected the foreigner to know something he had not been told by anyone.

The only reason I can think for Thai ire is that they know he knew it was illegal and did it anyway because it is legal in his country. 

Do we know that they know that he knew that he knowingly broke the law?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

No shirt?who cares if he's wearing a bloody shirt or not?

Good point, several people have draw attention to the fact that he is white. topless, hairless, muscled and without tattoos but wearing "tight " shorts . Call me naive but I can't see the relevance either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't think you know what "whataboutism" is. 

I do. You don’t. 

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I can tell you for free what it isn't; it isn't when someone points out that individuals ignore their own people doing something but then go crazy when a foreigner does the same thing.  That's simply pointing out hypocrisy.

1. That’s not what happened. 
2. It would still be Whataboutism. Hypocrisy and Whataboutism can happen at the same time, but you would actually have to know what Whataboutism means (and Hypocrisy) in order to understand that. 

Edited by cocoonclub
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I do. You don’t. 

I most certainly do.  You clearly do not.

1. That’s not what happened. 

It is.  I read the comment you were responding to.

2. It would still be Whataboutism. Hypocrisy and Whataboutism can happen at the same time, but you would actually have to know what Whataboutism means (and Hypocrisy) in order to understand that.  

It wasn't "whataboutism" because it was directly relevant to what happened and was in no way any kind of deflection.  It pointed out that Thai people do the exact same things but are not treated in the same way when they do so.  The point was to highlight this discrimination, not to say "Thais do bad things too, they're just as bad".  Hence it was not an example of "whataboutism".

Please look up the definition of "whataboutism" to save yourself further embarrassment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Thats the problem with Thailand, anyone can call themselves a fishing guide, and you are willing to take anyone who claim they are without checking. So, knowing Thailand, would it be a smart thing to do, and is it an accaptable excuse you did not know it was a national park you where fishing in? 

Is it an accaptable excuse «everyone else does» it when you getting fined for drunk driving?

oh yes that would be normal behaviour for a tourist wouldn't it ?   I can imagine the conversation ..........

"fancy a days fishing tomorrow dear" ? 

"Oh yes that sounds like fun but can we make it the day after as I need to go to the marine authorities first to check out the credentials of the captain" 

"Of course we can't be too careful when dealing with those crafty Thais and  whilst you are at it check that the bait is ethically sourced and that the boat runs on bio diesel too"

" will do dear and whilst I am doing that could you study the local marine charts and enter the co ordinates of the perimeter of the no fishing zone  in to our GPS receiver"? 

" and don't forget we need a written guarantee that we wont accidently catch a parrot fish"

Do you really expect that anyone (except you of course) would have a conversation like that ?

Do I Think that ignorance is an acceptable excuse in this case on ?  well on the part of the tourist yes I do, on the part of the captain absolutely not. He would of been well aware of what he was doing.

Your drunk driving reference  is irrelevant as "every body else does it" was not an excuse that was offered by the tourist   however, in that situation ,ignorance of being drunk, for example if your drink had, unbeknown to you, been spiked and you could prove it. would probably at least be considered as mitigating circumstances probably resulting in a more lenient punishment.

Neither you nor anybody else on here knows where he caught the fish but a lynch mob has already been formed  I find that astonishing 

55 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Unlike you, I don’t have a fantasy legal system that I could explain to you. I just stick to the laws. 

And why let facts get in the way eh?

So, for the benefit of me and the others on here ,could you please advise on several legal points   the first being the legal position of using an anchor in an area of  protected coral reef ?   the second being who is in legal charge of a boat A) the captain or B) a fare paying tourist ?

In fact while your at it you could tell us all how far from the shoreline the no fishing zone extends?. and then give us your best guess as to how far from the shoreline the tourist was when he caught the fish ? 

take your time thinking about it I wouldn't want you to answer incorrectly and lose any credibility you might have left

you could always pass on all or any of the above questions if you don't like the answers

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Curious story. So this guy either came to Thailand with a fishing rod or acquired one here from a Thai shop without the Thai owner pointing to local Thai laws about fishing. He then asked around where he could hire a Thai fishing boat.

A Thai must have told him to talk to the Thai captain of a Thai boat. They reached an agreement on the price of the fishing expedition in Thai waters (which is is common tourist activity around the world). The Thai captain takes him to a place in a Thai national park without hesitation where he could fish without the Thai captail explaining that fishing in a Thai national park is illegal. Thais expected the foreigner to know something he had not been told by anyone.

The only reason I can think for Thai ire is that they know he knew it was illegal and did it anyway because it is legal in his country. 

Do we know that they know that he knew that he knowingly broke the law?

They don't care or even know if he broke the law or not. but that trivial detail won't stop them when there is a lynch mob mentality