Thai netizens in uproar over "brazen farang" who posted TikTok video of himself catching parrot fish

webfact

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Cant cure stupid, 

At least this case might open the eyes of the locals.

The reefs in Thailand have been exploited to long. No matter who is doing it, its wrong, and happy to see actions is taken. Especially when I know how it once was to step in to the water and experience the true sound of alive reefs and its beauty, and how it is now, almost silent and a faded tragedy

What sound does an alive reef make ?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Netizens ???? Dumbest concept ever...

15 yo kids would describe them better.

Anyway. It's illegal to fish in national parks but they don't really know where the pic was taken and the parrot fishes aren't protected.

My god... What's wrong with those people ???

So you think people who post on the web and are called Netizens are 15 year old kids, how old are you?  You are posting on the internet and on the web.  Netizen was first used as a term in 1998......

netizen

nĕt′ĭ-zən

noun

1. A person who is a frequent or habitual user of the Internet.
  2. a member of the community of Internetusers
Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Yet another post (thread)  where the respondents really prove to me how lucky I am to only

"know"  these guys on an anonymous internet forum.

always the same bunch who , fortunately,  are past their time to be wearing a badge of any kind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Some years ago a Hungarian man who was deported and an Italian got into terrible trouble after filming themselves playing with sea slugs underwater off Koh Phangan

Seriously? Or should I say "seariously" ???? Sorry, couldn't resist.

But <deleted>?!

Thais are the biggest rule breakers out, yet jump at the chance to blame foreigners who actually want to visit this place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Archie Baker said:

Through in jail then deport him.  Confiscate the Thai boat and put the captain in jail then fine him.  They both knew what they were doing. 

It's was the blue pill today not the yellow one. 

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, andyman57 said:

All the suffering in the world and there's an uproar over a few fish .Have a day off

Maybe it is far worse than that? Ignorance is bliss

Its a symbol of everything thats wrong with us, but I do mot expect you to understand the symbolism 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Parrot fish decimate coral reefs

Humans decimate the Earth.  

53 members browsing..............

all thinking, "OMG, what did the falang do this time?????    Will this destroy my Pattaya experience?  Is my vacation ruined?   Does Thailand even like the Falang at all?   Why are we given such a bad name???"

Let me answer.   Bring $36,000 USD for about 1 million baht. Stay two-weeks in Pattaya.  Fly home.

The parrot fish being murdered by the horrible, sinful, bad, bad, bad  Falang won't affect you.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I have an idea for the irate Netizens to ponder over. Why not arrest the Thai captain, and all his crew for allowing it to happen in the first place. If there is a law being broken, then they would be more knowledgeable than the Foreigner, therefore more culpable. 

If he hadn't been here it wouldn't have happened 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you think people who post on the web and are called Netizens are 15 year old kids, how old are you?  You are posting on the internet and on the web.  Netizen was first used as a term in 1998......

netizen

nĕt′ĭ-zən

noun

1. A person who is a frequent or habitual user of the Internet.
  2. a member of the community of Internetusers

I class myself as a Netizan 

• Like 1

As the report mentions, parrot fish are not a protected species. But if there is fishing in a protected marine sanctuary then Thai citizens have every right to complain.  

Seeing parrot fish in the markets is hopefully outside marine sanctuary zones.  But for me it is sad nonetheless that it seems nothing is off the menu for humans with such a huge toll on ocean fish stocks. 

I know down in Oz, we have had many incidents of tourists and other visitors to Oz fishing in protected marine sanctuaries, pulling pippi shellfish off rocks etc and there is outrage from Aussies directed towards those groups. It is a sign of disrespect, disregard of laws and greed Not their country.  Thailand is not our country. 

For those who think parrot fish destroy reefs, that is not true.  They eat algae off coral, hence maintaining a symbiotic relationship with the reef.  They are an important part of the reef ecosystem.  They do bite chunks of coral off and that is excreted as fine sand, which also aid in building new reefs.  They don't trash their own habitat as they spawn in the same area.  This article link is the source and corroborates other website articles I read.  Plus, they are really cool fish if anyone here has spent time scuba diving or snorkeling and just appreciates life.  

https://www.scuba.com/blog/explore-the-blue/parrotfish-coral-friend-foe/