Am I going to take it in the shorts on this Colonoscopy ?

brokenbottle

Long time lurker but did a number of searches here and did not find an answer so hoping someone can chime in. Had a recurring stomach ache last couple months after a bout of diarrhea from some possibly dodgy street food. Finally decided to see a gastro and being late 40's I guess I am due for a Colonoscopy not having had one in the past. Normally I go to BNH but saw Bumrungrad had a package for 36k for gastro/colon scopes on both ends and I would like to eliminate any possible cancer issues.

After initial consultation I received meds to prepare and cost estimate. Biopsies for any removed polyps are 3,750, fair enough as that seems to be routine but they mention another charge of 35,000 (!) to perform polypectomy. My research led me to believe that removing most polyps unless quite large was all part of the normal colonoscopy procedure.

Is this correct or is this just a way for them to inflate the price of the procedure? I was actually surprised Bumrungrad was offering this at 36k as BNH wanted closer to 50 for both procedures and Vipahwadee hospital close to that as well.

Thanks for any insights.

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Certainly a PITA these add ons. Seems you've gone for the nuclear option early, surprised not tried drugs first

They seem to recommend the Colonoscopy at 45 now as opposed to 50 in the U.S. so I figure I am due, the added gastroscopy is not all that much more and figured it was good to get everything checked out just for preventative maintenance.  I do wonder if I picked up something in undercooked meat that is hard to shake...

Unfortunately i am a veteran of Gastro visits.  I have had 3 endoscopies and 2 colonoscopies in the last 10 years.  The actual endoscopy/colonoscopy are diagnostic procedures.  Therefore, if the total cost of the combo(endoscopy and colonoscopy) is 36,000 Baht then it is a fair price.  My last Endo/Colo in Chiang Mai was 36,000 Baht.  What comes after is a separate matter.  In my case a small Polyp was found during the colonoscopy and and it was benign.  The 36,000 Baht included the doctors fee, the center fee and the pathology fee. So a separate charge to analyze any polyp(s) is new to me.  I have had this procedures done in both the US and in Chiang Mai and in both cases there was no separate charge for polyp removal and analysis.  But in my case only one small polyp was found.  It could be a different matter if multiple polyps are found.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

I don't think polyp removal for 3750b is normal charge.

That should be included in the package.

So what if decide take 10 polyps and add up more, than procedure itself.

You are not in rush, it's just a regular check up, do it at the governmental hospital.

As to stomach age check for parasites

It seems not to be 3750 baht for polyp removal but rather for biopsy of polyps. It is common for that to be an additional charge since there is no predicting how many if any polyps there will be. 

Polyps are indeed normally removed during a colonoscopy and it us not usual to have a separate removal charge. OP needs to clarify this with the hospital in advance or else go elsewhere.  Nothing in the wording of the Bumrungrad suggests that there would be extra charge for removing a polyp during coloniscopy.