Do you have a mortgage?

It was a while ago so details are a bit hazy and the rules may well have changed.

We went to SCB (where we have banked for a loooong time), they offered a "construction loan" of about 60% of the surveyed land value.

Unfortunately by the time they had faffed around sorting out all the paperwork the house was completed (using my $$$ of course), so they converted to a 15 year mortgage.

Later we added to the mortgage for "renovations", SCB called Madam and asked if we would like to borrow more! Again a million bits of paper etc etc. We kept the same end date for the mortgage and they re-surveyed the house (OK came and drank coffee and gassed with Madam).

My lady works (she's my PA) so she has her own income but my income was also "taken into account".

Be prepared for the long haul!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you want to live in a shed in the middle of nowhere.

Renting land and building a house for that much in Bangkok...  - no chance. 

A Kitchen extension cost 500,000 Baht... 

OP didn't mention where so I would think you would be nuts to think of somewhere in Bkk or similar places.

A place out of town area in Issan near Roi Et the family have just recently built a large bungalow 1,200,000 the kitchen is fitted out but not to HiSo standards but would be adequate as far as I would be concerned. 

• 1 month later...