Enforcement of Thailand’s new safety belt law pending edict from police

webfact

11 hours ago, Jerno said:

Why do the Police decide how a law is enacted or finalized?  Lawmakers make the laws, including all details and Police enforce the Laws  Of course that's too rational and logical for this Thai Govt....cue cannabis laws fiasco.

In the UK the police decide which laws they will enforce. If they consider it too much trouble they will simply ignore the incident. A small example is riding a bike on the footpath is against the law and It is illegal in the UK to ride a private eScooter in public areas but the police don't enforce it. In my own home town of Hull cyclists and eScooters regularly ride on the footpath  past the front of the main police station and nothing is done about it. It is also illegal to have sex with a minor under 16 yet gooming gangs in Rotherham were ignored for years and no complaint was followed up until the media exposed the scandal.

Edited by RobU

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

Step son has an extra-cab pickup.

He was stopped yesterday on the way home from the family seat and "reminded" that passengers in the back of the cab need belts (none are fitted of course).

The cop apparently looked "disappointed" that only he and Madam were actually in the truck at the time.

This has been tried before and the social-media uproar led to a rapid u-turn. I doubt this time will be much different.

I have a 2010 Ford Ranger open cab and when I bought it, there were no seatbelts in the back but I noticed the platic cut outs where they needed to be mounted. I tried to get the dealer to fit seat belts in the back and they refused but I did get them to order the seat belts and I fitted them myself about a month after I bought the new truck. It was a difficult job but had to be done since I had a baby car seat that had to go in the back seat. The middle seat belt in the back had to come from an after market brand and has no shoulder straps like the ones on the sides. This middle seat belt was perfect for the baby seat so my Ford could manage 4 passengers and the baby who is now 15 years old!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

In the future, however, the law will only allow up to three passengers in the backseats of trucks and six people in the cargo bed.

Bringing happiness to the people.. Prayut did promise.

23 hours ago, Jerno said:

Why do the Police decide how a law is enacted or finalized?

RTP are the middlemen between the public and the courtroom....

you have any law you want, but they decide if or when to enact it.

Seat belts have been mandatory equipment since the 1968 model year per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208. New York State passed the first law in the US mandating the use of seat belts in 1984 under the leadership of John D. States, an orthopedic surgeon who dedicated his career to improving automotive safety.

1984 seems really late......................but I guess it's still FORTY years earlier than Thailand.  

I always say Thailand is 50 years behind.

even with the Internet.........something it takes 50 years for the information to reach us here

Do they ever look at what laws they already have on their books?

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,
B.E. 2522 (1979).1

Section 123.24 No driver of vehicle shall allow more than two other
persons to sit on the front row seat next to the driver.
The driver of vehicle must fasten up his or her body with seatbelt
while driving, and must render the passenger sitting on the front row seat next to the
driver to fasten up his or her body with seat belt while traveling. And the passenger
traveling in such conveyance must also fasten up his or her body with seat belt.

As for backseats in a pick-up I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to use the backseat in a 2 door pick-up, especially if it has a business registration. It is clearly stated in the Blue Book how many persons the car is registered for. Would be interesting if someone with a 2 door pick-up could check their blue book and let us know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

RTP are the middlemen between the public and the courtroom....

you have any law you want, but they decide if or when to enact it.

Its Thailand....  'there is no law until there is law’... 

That pretty much sums everything up... Thailand is Lawless, until the police decided to enforce a specific law usually with road-blocks, or react to the failure to follow a law when something happens.... 

Trucks Cabin or Cargo bed not required to wear seatbelt. Isn’t the driver in the truck cabin…. To much

room for confusion.

Make it easy anyone in the cargo bed must remain seated all times when vehicle is in motion. Require seatbelts for anyone in the cabin. Maybe a grace period to have a basic seatbelt (lap belt) installed if needed with a at cost subsidized by the government.