Enforcement of Thailand’s new safety belt law pending edict from police

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Land Traffic Act B.E. 2565 (2022AD), which mandates that all passengers in private and public transport vehicles, except buses, wear safety belts, will be enforced once the Royal Thai Police have issued an edict within 90 days of the act coming into effect on September 5th, according to Land Transport Department Director-General Chirute Visalachitra.

Chirute’s statement today (Saturday) was intended to address social media hype claiming that, from September 5th, passengers in all pickup trucks, including those sitting in the rear seats, will be required to wear safety belts or face a fine of 2,000 baht each.

Chirute said the department will consult the Royal Thai Police over the drafting of an edict regarding the mandatory wearing of safety belts, including exceptions, adding that, once the draft is completed, it will have to be approved by a committee before it is promulgated.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/enforcement-of-thailands-new-safety-belt-law-pending-edict-from-police/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Extra  cab models  have no belts  in the rear in Thailand, however models  made for the Australian market   do...certainly  in my Chevrolet  anyway..wonder if Chevvy would  supply the parts to fit in Thailand....the interior  panels  have all the cut  outs for the seatbelts and all the mountings, but  nobelts.yeah its a tax  thing also here

ted.jpg

• Like 1

The way it worked when first introduced in Aus was front seats only in the beginning.

A couple of years later, if there were seat belts there, then they had to be worn.

Classic cars didn't have them and there was no requirement to retrofit.

Other exceptions (dare I say common sense  ????   exceptions) also apply but certainly laid out by the requirements of the law and not some police officer opinion.

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

The way it worked when first introduced in Aus was front seats only in the beginning.

A couple of years later, if there were seat belts there, then they had to be worn.

Other exceptions (dare I say common sense  ????   exceptions) also apply but certainly laid out by the requirements of the law and not some police officer opinion.

OK...that was like 50 years ago!

This is going to be fun. I am all for safety belt law, as it´s very good protection and in many cases life saving. However, I also read that they will re-write the law to make it legal for 3 or 5 persons to sit outside on pick-ups. It will be really interesting to see how they will install the belts in the cargo area of a pick-up.

Step son has an extra-cab pickup.

He was stopped yesterday on the way home from the family seat and "reminded" that passengers in the back of the cab need belts (none are fitted of course).

The cop apparently looked "disappointed" that only he and Madam were actually in the truck at the time.

This has been tried before and the social-media uproar led to a rapid u-turn. I doubt this time will be much different.

Ah let me get this 100% correct. The Thai Government empowered to make laws and asking the POLICE supposedly empowered to enforce those laws, what they want to do.

Rather like the Tail wagging the dog methinks , only happen in Thailand, if they got the so called RTP nearly 250000 strong to actually do the job of enforcing the laws,less 10 % of that number for admin, then there would be no problems would there, get rid of 50% of the Generals and employ three times as many men instead, there is a whole Police station full of new officers. 

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

How about ensuring that children have secure seating in all school transportation vehicles & the ban on transporting workers packed into the rear of a pickup or truck before issuing further rules that will be impossible to implement fairly ..........

does that include teenage students sitting on the roof of the school bus and those hanging off the rear platform?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Chirute said the department will consult the Royal Thai Police over the drafting of an edict regarding the mandatory wearing of safety belts, including exceptions, adding that, once the draft is completed, it will have to be approved by a committee before it is promulgated.

Just to make it confusing and more palatable to the public.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bluejets said:

This is what can happen when a classic car uses only a lap belt. You would think abotu with 1300hp should be using a harness. The guy is lucky ony to get his teeth knocked out. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The deputy national police chief, Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas, said any pickup truck carrying six or less passengers in its cargo bed must reduce their speed.

Any with more than six then terminal velocity prevails?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

OK...that was like 50 years ago!

yes it was about the same as thailand is now we rode in the back of pickups or utes no belts all care in gradually.

Edited by heybuz

Remember the no riding in the back of trucks U turn when the public went berserk? 

(They really still don't realise how gutless the leadership are!)

U turn on this by next week? ????????????

Edited by chalawaan

I thought they brought in a rule "no passengers in the back if a pickup unless it was designed to carry them. As for the back seats, in UK when the seat belt law came out you either had them retrofitted or got fined.

I guess baht buses would have a problem.