Is this being racist?

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Some people get offended over nothing. They obviously lack self esteem and confidence. They should work on that rather than whining.

You haven't mentioned the possibility that significant numbers of people may be genuinely offended. You are single mindedly focused on a hypothetical edge case in order to deflect from the real issue, actual racism.

Edited by ozimoron

53 minutes ago, rwill said:

I don't think saying something like, "You look like you are from (fill in the blank)."  is racist.

I agree as I have my example of how I can easily identify Ethiopians based on appearance.

We all do such things at least internally.

The German was clumsy about it but it was still very trivial.

But a good topic to spark a discussion.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 2009 said:

You should probably tell him that you knew he was German when you saw him putting his towel on a deckchair at the hotel to save it, and then walk away and leave it taken for the rest of the day.

I've wanted to start a thread on this just before high season but there wasn't one the last couple of years. I do find some of them come back for the sunset for 30 minutes and to pick up their old copy of Der Speigel however.  
Now what I find funny is that the OP refers to the German as " single " with a wife back in Germany!?? Huh? 
Finally if the OP comes back and says the guy with the nose does tell a lot of lies and is from a Tuscan Village in Italy and his name is Pinocchio I think the thread may have to be shut down for lack of information. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

If he's creating a bad work environment, you need to protect yourself from such negativity and the future of the company.

Imagine if he met a top client and said, "Hey, your nose is big, you are from....!!"  This is unacceptable in 2022.   

This is the beginning.  

Imagine what he doesn't say, or will say after he's more comfortable.

fight the good fight, get him fired!!!!

He has badmouthed millions from a particular place, and finds it funny.

You must help those who cannot help themselves.  

Imagine if you started insulting him........................

I'm deeply offended, he's setting a bad example for kids worldwide.

I want him fired by end of day!!!!

i dont need to fight to fire him. I can do any time. But i just want to give him some time and lets see.. But yes, so far hes totally negatively affecting the work. Although he is good with engines. But of course he must be pro too, and so far.. nope

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think what would have happened maybe 20 years ago? Would he have received a written warning? Would he have received an explicit verbal warning? Or would have someone talked to him colleague to colleague and explain to him that certain behavior is not such a good idea?

Why not try to remind him in a friendly way first and use only warnings if it is really necessary?

sorry i didnt mention before, not officially but 1 or 2 female employee told him this is work place and its better if he not follow them where ever they go. 

basically his actions are not changed so far. Thats why i gave him a verbal warning and told him to apologize from the thai guy and the turk guy. Also told him not flirt with the female personnel. I didnt want to make it too serious thats why verbal warning. Just sit and talk and explain the situation. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

actually yes, he is Turkish and he is great with drones. He was working at Bayraktar factory before. But i also dont think Turks have big nose.. i think normal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmet_Özyürek

erm....  some do, some don’t....     

Only you can truly know what can be and needs to be done in this situation. 

From what you have explained so far you need to rely on your company lawyers, if you have no company lawyers your company needs protection from the potential wrongful dismissal case that this German guy may file once you do get rid of him.

There is stupid, stupider and then there is racist.

Racism is based on false beliefs or pseudo science.

as racists are stupid they are very prone to resorting to cliches etc

One defining thing is they spent a lot of time claiming things aren't racist as they are too dumb to realise what racism really is.

Being a racist is like being an alcoholic - one has to admit one is one before one can do anything about it....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

There is stupid, stupider and then there is racist.

Racism is based on false beliefs or pseudo science.

as racists are stupid they are very prone to resorting to cliches etc

One defining thing is they spent a lot of time claiming things aren't racist as they are too dumb to realise what racism really is.

Being a racist is like being an alcoholic - one has to admit one is one before one can do anything about it....

Another thing that racists and alcoholics have in common is that one does not need to be an alcoholic to enjoy a bit of a drink.  

I think it's great that the OP has posted a simple question, and everyone has used that as an opportunity to Virtue Signal by abusing their imaginary racists, without actually constructively considering the question, nor discussing what constitutes racism.

Until we understand our own prejudices, we cannot condemn prejudice.  We can only complain about it.

SC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

i dont need to fight to fire him. I can do any time. But i just want to give him some time and lets see.. But yes, so far hes totally negatively affecting the work. Although he is good with engines. But of course he must be pro too, and so far.. nope

I don't think you mentioned it already, how old is this German? For me it sounds like two options: Young and unexperienced or old with a bad attitude.

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

I didnt mean its because he is german. I mentioned his nationality just to understand if its a common and normal thing for german people. It would affect my judgment in this case, and my report. 

I think in general many Germans are straight forward and they say what they think. For some people they are too direct - and the Germans don't realize that if nobody tells them.

I think that is good for work in general - if it's about work. But human relations are something different...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

This is the probs. I answered a question tuther week regarding why Thais seem to copy other Thais. I put it down to Monkey see, monkey do and had my post deleted due to being racist.

In this incidence, it surely sounds racist as you have a direct reference to Thais as monkeys. I would have deleted it too... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, micmichd said:

Attitudes determine behaviour. Fortunately the Nazis are out in GerMoney. But there's still (or again) all kinds of Neonazis in GerMoney that propagate their tribal white supremacy. Up to the point where they say "Human rights for Germans only" (AfD) Better put them down before they get into power. 

'Put them down'...Do you mean destroy them? That sounds like a nazi idea to me.

The AFD are a popular  party who get lots of votes.

They opposed Merkel  and her One Million Syrian immigrant  policy.

They came to  attention and got support  after the rape and assaults on new years Eve..

When the liberal  elite undermine working people and  destroy their culture Trump, Brexit, Afd will thrive in a democracy. The liberal  elite will see democracy  die and their opponents 'put down' rather than yield power.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I'm just saying I like a drink.  Back in the day, we could take a drink, without being stigmatised.

As someone who no longer drinks I've become incredibly aware how  "take a drink, without being stigmatised" - is in fact just a cliche used by alcoholics in exactly the same way racists argue they aren't