Is this being racist?

I just wonder if the op can handle his job?

Is the German a lot older?

Maybe he was send here because he did the same in Germany?

Next time he speaks out you should just tell him so that every one can hear,"We do not appreciate this kind of talk here"

Don't let it fester,if you are talking here about it then for sure the other

workers are talking about it.

22 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I'm proud of my big nose.  You know what they say...

Big nose, big handkerchief.

I use tissues for that sort of thing....????

As for the teutonic taunter, just give him enough rope, as they say.

Edited by chalawaan

3 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

thanks

this is exactly what i did this morning. 

First listened to his side of the story. Well, it turned out he knew what he said and the meaning but he didnt think it would be racist or likewise. And about hitting the female employees, he thinks there is nothing wrong with this because he is single (well actually he has a  German wife in Germany, but i dont know the strength of the relationship) and he feels he is ok to do it. 

I explained him that this will be his verbal warning about both topics. He may not think its rude or likewise but it can be for another especially in an international working environment. And about the hitting issue, i told him this is a working place and should act more pro. The Thai army officer who is responsible from the thai personnel was with me, just sat and listened. And actually after the short meeting he thanked me about hitting females issue. 

He kind of accept my speech but i can tell you his body language was like, i dont give a damn. Well, we will see.

PS: When i was posting this, it turned out that he also told one of the engineers here in the base that Thai men has small .... !

But this is before today's meeting so i will wait and see. Meanwhile i will ask him to go and apologize from both Thai and the nose guy. 

You could mention his box head I guess! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Really you would have to have heard how he said it. Did he say it in a sarcastic, joking way, or was he serious?

Problem is now people get offended at the smallest criticism or comment.

As he is German and was speaking English did he understand exactly the meaning of his words?

Still do not understand why the German in a work setting is discussing a colleagues nose size whether jokingly or not.

The guy needs a written warning to be entered into his personal file.

If the guy is still on probation and is not critical to the company job then it is time to part ways, nobody in a company is indispensable.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Still do not understand why the German in a work setting is discussing a colleagues nose size whether jokingly or not.

The guy needs a written warning to be entered into his personal file.

If the guy is still on probation and is not critical to the company job then it is time to part ways, nobody in a company is indispensable.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, if he was making a joke, albeit a poor joke then I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

I am sure everyone has said something in poor taste before.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, ozimoron said:

It could be considered racist but the context indicates stereotyping which is plain ignorance and one crime level below racism, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes in a western country if the other guy complained to HR.

Some parts of the conversation were left out.  Especially other things the guy was referring to during his comments.  Depending what they were,  it possibly could be racist. 
But it appears other people have issues with him and his comments also. So the guy sounds like a jerk to begin with 

Sounds like a right tool and have come across this bogun attitude from quite a few Germans in the past. Not necessarily racist, but clearly inappropriate in the workplace, esp chasing ranked women. What a douche. I'd let him dig himself another hole and then give the push. That type will likely not change.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, micmichd said:

You know how stereotyping works? Nazi yellow press "Der Stuermer" was perfect in this. 

The guy from the other country might have a long nose (even "Farang" means "long nose"), he might be from a middle east country, and so he falls into the stereotype of an "unwanted foreigner".

I am German by passport. You have any idea how often in Thailand I heard Germans yell "Auslaender raus!" ("foreigners out!")? And it's very easy for them to point at someone's nose like the Nazis did in their aforementioned propaganda leaflet. 

That IS racism, nothing less. 

In your example, you describe racism against a population in general which is quite different to what we see here. To say that a big nosed person might come from the Middle East is no more racist that suggesting somebody is Asian because they have black hair, oval eyes and a flat nose. Is that racist too, or stereotyping? Racism goes to intent, not the mere words alone.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

In your example, you describe racism against a population in general which is quite different to what we see here. To say that a big nosed person might come from the Middle East is no more racist that suggesting somebody is Asian because they have black hair, oval eyes and a flat nose. Is that racist too, or stereotyping? Racism goes to intent, not the mere words alone.

Then I guess the intent of the German in question was to dehumanize someone he considered a competitor (maybe even sexually). Which doesn't make it any better. 

Just now, micmichd said:

Then I guess the intent of the German in question was to dehumanize someone he considered a competitor (maybe even sexually). Which doesn't make it any better. 

I didn't suggest what he said was nice or acceptable. In fact, I described it as a crime.

7 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Prejudice for sure but not racist. Power has to be used against someone because of their race; I don't see the power being used.  These days prejudice is easily mistaken for racism. 

Attitudes determine behaviour. Fortunately the Nazis are out in GerMoney. But there's still (or again) all kinds of Neonazis in GerMoney that propagate their tribal white supremacy. Up to the point where they say "Human rights for Germans only" (AfD) Better put them down before they get into power.