Motorbike taxis

superal

A friend of mine was in an accident where his car was hit by a motor bike taxi . There was some costly damage to my friends front plastic , one piece valance   ( about 12000 baht repair costs ) . Guess what ? The motor bike taxi had  no insurance . Pal has own insurance that will cover the repair to his car  .

So , in the event of an accident, a passenger , riding pillion on the motorbike taxi , could not claim .    This has to be taking the proverbial xxxx . How do they get a licence to operate ? No passenger insurance cover ? the mind boggles at other types of public conveyance in Thailand .

18 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

How do you know that he had no insurance? The compulsory insurance covers only medical costs, so it doesn't cover the property damage to your friend's car.

I am aware of that and the medical coverage is minimal .

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Did he have a white or yellow plate? yellow should be insured, white no insurance for taxi work

That is news to me and most others I suspect . Interested to know the extent of insurance coverage on the yellow plate

2 minutes ago, superal said:

That is news to me and most others I suspect . Interested to know the extent of insurance coverage on the yellow plate

I'm not sure of the coverage with a yellow plate but it won't be great but covers the passenger probably for limited medical costs only. In Pattaya it's 50\50 whether you get a white or yellow plate. Don't get on a white plate bike

• Thanks 1

In all, me known insurance, there is in an accident with a moped cab for the passenger no additional insurance type  3 (500.000.-THB are possible)

if the moped as a cab (yellow license plate) or for rent are used!

Ergo maximum 50.000.-THB in case of an accident, but not for the passenger, so YOU !

This is the compulsory insurance for mopeds in Thailand, also for mopedtaxi,s 

1.) Compulsory 3rd Party Coverage - CTPL (compulsory insurance).

Third party medical treatment: 50,000 Baht per person

Third party death: 100,000 Baht per person

Maximum amount: 5,000,000 Baht per accident

Third party property damage: Not insured

own hospital costs: Not insured

Passenger: Not insured

Note: "Passenger: Not insured".

• Thanks 1