Can I Buy a Kindle Paperwhite 11th Genration in Chiang Mai?

AddyA

Good morning, Chiang Mai.

I turned on my Kindle paperwhite last night to be greeted by an ultra-bright spec of light on the the screen. I don't know what happened, but it looks like it's there to stay. And it's not comfortable reading it with that light twinkling in the corner, so I need a replacement.

I'm pretty sure that Kindles (unlike tablet PCs) are only available online. But maybe someone here knows otherwise, hence this message. I have found a few bricks-and-mortar stores that advertise the latest Kindle models. However, it looks as though they also order them online on your behalf. If that's the case, it might be cheaper for me to order directly from Amazon.

Alternatively, if anyone reading here got a Kindle Paperwhite 11th generation as an unwanted gift, please send me a message if you want to sell it.

Thank you.

I have been looking at the possibility of replacing my Kindle, and both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com state that they do not deliver to Thailand.

Years ago B2S in Central World Bangkok appeared to be the only source in Thailand, I managed to obtain mine through a friend who bought them in the UK and hand carried them here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I have been looking at the possibility of replacing my Kindle, and both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com state that they do not deliver to Thailand.

Years ago B2S in Central World Bangkok appeared to be the only source in Thailand, I managed to obtain mine through a friend who bought them in the UK and hand carried them here. 

Thanks for your response.  There are some sellers on Amazon UK that ship to Thailand, but it takes a couple of weeks. I did look at B2S, but they're older models at latest model prices.

It's strange that you can't just go to the electronics departments of a major stores and buy them like you would a tablet. Lazada seems reasonable, but I've been hearing a lot about dodgy sellers and products on there of late. I don't know if such claims are true or not, but it does make one wary.

• Like 1

Uh, I got a Kindle Oasis from Amazon USA last year; took about a week. 

And as far as I can see department stores in Thailand do sell current models of Oasis and Paperwhite (and say they'll deliver in a few days), e.g.: 

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/catalogsearch/result?q=kindle 

Fwiw the Oasis is crazy expensive but turns out to be great imho.  

-- Retiree

• Like 2

The Kindles sold by "World Import" on Lazada are usually the least expensive.  The Kindles are sourced from Kindle, Japan and are 100% legit.  Mine arrived in Jomtien in 3 days.

After years with a 5th gen PW, I am really enjoying the PW11.  The slight additional size really makes a difference. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Totally reliable: Lazada.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 11.32.39.png

Thanks Boomer, but it's got to be a secondhand model 5 at that price. The average costs is around 8,0000 THB for 8GB. I prefer to buy new when it comes to electronics. I haven't ruled Lazada out, though, it's just that I'm a tad wary about reports of dodgy sellers on there.

1 hour ago, AddyA said:

I turned on my Kindle paperwhite last night to be greeted by an ultra-bright spec of light on the the screen. I don't know what happened, but it looks like it's there to stay. And it's not comfortable reading it with that light twinkling in the corner, so I need a replacement.

Have you tried to reset the Kindle AddyA ?..... Most of my friends have had different problems and a reset has fixed it. Its a 30 second job.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, retiree said:

Uh, I got a Kindle Oasis from Amazon USA last year; took about a week. 

And as far as I can see department stores in Thailand do sell current models of Oasis and Paperwhite (and say they'll deliver in a few days), e.g.: 

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/catalogsearch/result?q=kindle 

Fwiw the Oasis is crazy expensive but turns out to be great imho.  

-- Retiree

From what I can see, Retiree, the bricks-and-mortar stores only accept online orders for Kindles, which means they don't carry the stock. That said, I believe you can go in and collect the item when it arrives at the shop. I just found the Kindle Paperwhite Gen11th on Power Buy, but it seems a little pricey at 9,000 THB for the 8 GB + ads model. I will have no option but to order online if I can't find a local store than stocks them. But I won't rush just in case someone reading here knows otherwise, or has one to sell as an unwanted gift.

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

Have you tried to reset the Kindle AddyA ?..... Most of my friends have had different problems and a reset has fixed it. Its a 30 second job.

Thanks, Sanuk711, but I just noticed a definite crack in the screen. What's strange, is that it's a crack on the inside as the outside is totally smooth. I don't recall banging or dropping the thing, but something must have happened ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Dodgy sellers reported on Amazon too.  Where are there none?

Yes, I'm sure you're right, Bill97. But top Amazon sellers tend to have thousands of reviews and a high-star rating. Even so, I still prefer to buy in the real-world. There's just something reassuring about being able to see, touch, and test a thing prior to purchase. And it's also super-convenient if you need to return it for whatever reason. 

18 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

OP, out of interest, have you tried turning down the brightness of the backlight on your kindle to see if the spec of light becomes less noticable?

I have, and it remains constant, like a bright star on a cloudless night. But thanks for the suggestion ????

43 minutes ago, dddave said:

The Kindles sold by "World Import" on Lazada are usually the least expensive.  The Kindles are sourced from Kindle, Japan and are 100% legit.  Mine arrived in Jomtien in 3 days.

After years with a 5th gen PW, I am really enjoying the PW11.  The slight additional size really makes a difference. 

Thank you, DDDave ????

1 hour ago, AddyA said:

Thanks Boomer, but it's got to be a secondhand model 5 at that price. The average costs is around 8,0000 THB for 8GB. I prefer to buy new when it comes to electronics. I haven't ruled Lazada out, though, it's just that I'm a tad wary about reports of dodgy sellers on there.

Well I got one for my daughter, it looked brand new.

25 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

Put a piece of non-see through white tape over the bright dot and keep enjoying reading on your 5th gen. Kindle.

It's not that tiny, and a bit of paper would be equally distracting—for me. The only thing that should be on a screen is whatever is supposed to be on that screen.  OK, it's possible to learn to live with most things, but if one doesn't have to, then why even try ????

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CMBob said:

My first generation Kindle died 3-4 years ago and, after doing a bit of googling, decided to replace it with a Samsung tablet.  Really happy with it, it's backlit and easy to read, and, after downloading the free Kindle app, performs as well or better for daily reading than the Kindle I had.  Plus, it's essentially a computer (which, frankly, I typically only use when traveling).  Just my view but I see no reason to ever buy only a Kindle in the future.

Yes, but your tablet will have backlighting, and I would imagine a much shorter battery life than a Kindle? For me, it's the insane battery life (2+ months), e-ink, and the unique lighting that illuminates that electronic ink that attracted me to the Kindle. And none of that has changed.

41 minutes ago, CMBob said:

My first generation Kindle died 3-4 years ago and, after doing a bit of googling, decided to replace it with a Samsung tablet.  Really happy with it, it's backlit and easy to read, and, after downloading the free Kindle app, performs as well or better for daily reading than the Kindle I had.  Plus, it's essentially a computer (which, frankly, I typically only use when traveling).  Just my view but I see no reason to ever buy only a Kindle in the future.

I am still using my first gen Kindle, great for 'thep*rateb*y.org' content, when travelling I use a Samsung Tab2, also great, but a little heavier than the Kindle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AddyA said:

From what I can see, Retiree, the bricks-and-mortar stores only accept online orders for Kindles, which means they don't carry the stock.

Powerbuy sells this item in partnership with "Mac Modern" (they do a lot of this sort of thing), and their site says 3-5 day delivery.  Mac Modern is online only; Chrome will translate the page if needed: 

https://macmodern.co.th/รายละเอียดสินค้า/12294317706 

I just called Mac Modern, and they assured me that the PaperWhite gen 11 is in stock. 

Re dodgy sellers on Amazon; yep, you have to comparison shop esp. if overseas delivery is limited.  Same with Lazada / Shopee -- I try to go with the "Laz Mall" or similar sellers.  

Re Lazada (and lesser Shopee), you have to beware that even if you asked for a domestic source, the seller page may say "preorder" 20 or 30 days.  This means they are just drop-shipping from China (for some reason most Kindle Oasis cases are like this).  I've never lost money on these orders, but I have had some cancelled after waiting 3 or 4 weeks.

Finally, re stuck pixels, no idea if this is available for Kindles, but there is such a thing as a stuck pixel tool for regular screens.  These should be free, and can actually work. 

Happy reading,

--Retiree 

• Like 1

One other Kindle / Amazon / China note:  I ordered a replacement battery for my Kindle Voyager from Amazon, and belatedly realized that the US seller was also drop-shipping from China to US then to Thailand.  Took about 2 months to arrive -- I should'a just gone with Lazada & 20-30 days.

--Retire

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Dodgy sellers reported on Amazon too.  Where are there none?

There are dodgy people everywhere from the rice farmers to the highest up politicians, and even the Generals who think they are politicians, but yes! Lazada's sellers have to be watched, I have fallen foul of them a few times, but not anywhere else to my knowledge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retiree said:

Powerbuy sells this item in partnership with "Mac Modern" (they do a lot of this sort of thing), and their site says 3-5 day delivery.  Mac Modern is online only; Chrome will translate the page if needed: 

https://macmodern.co.th/รายละเอียดสินค้า/12294317706 

I just called Mac Modern, and they assured me that the PaperWhite gen 11 is in stock. 

Re dodgy sellers on Amazon; yep, you have to comparison shop esp. if overseas delivery is limited.  Same with Lazada / Shopee -- I try to go with the "Laz Mall" or similar sellers.  

Re Lazada (and lesser Shopee), you have to beware that even if you asked for a domestic source, the seller page may say "preorder" 20 or 30 days.  This means they are just drop-shipping from China (for some reason most Kindle Oasis cases are like this).  I've never lost money on these orders, but I have had some cancelled after waiting 3 or 4 weeks.

Finally, re stuck pixels, no idea if this is available for Kindles, but there is such a thing as a stuck pixel tool for regular screens.  These should be free, and can actually work. 

Happy reading,

--Retiree 

Great responses; thank you very much, Retiree ????

My bright light seems to be a physical problem rather than an electronic one. I can see a crack behind the screen. It wasn't there on Monday, so something must have happened.

I've never shopped online with any of the stores mentioned here, but there are some interesting prices.

The Macmodern sells the Gen11 32GB for 9,900 THB and the 8GB for 7,500 THB. 

I then checked Lazada, DPKANKAN.

Lazada sells the Gen11 32GB for 7,999 THB and the 8GB for 5,799 THB (the latter is out of stock). 

I then checked Shopee.

Shopee sells the Gen11 32GB for 8,550 THB and the 8GB for 6,490 THB. 

The price differences between the three are considerable. Someone's either making very little profit or a very handsome return. Maybe the seller who buys the most stock gets the most discount, hence the lower prices. If the products are all genuine (and brand new), then I guess it pays to go with the cheapest, unless there are hidden costs I haven't spotted.

Anyway, it's nice to see there are choices. I'll hang on until after the weekend to see if any latecomers here have an unwanted Gen11 to sell. If not, I will bite the bullet and opt for a new one ????

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

you can order on central application. 

Thank you, mjakob007, that's another option. I would imaging Central Online would be a guaranteed reputable seller. 

9 hours ago, AddyA said:

Thank you, mjakob007, that's another option. I would imaging Central Online would be a guaranteed reputable seller. 

central application represents 'central retail' in Thailand including powerbuy, B2S, central department  etc

we bought one off them last month.

arrived in 3 days from bkk

• Like 1