Interesting Immigration attitude at Swampy today

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The immigration desks at Beijing have buttons which allow you to rate the service. Thailand doesn't. I wonder why? Not that they'd care anyway if all they got was zeros.

That's too Hi-Tech.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

what's your problem

Many countries offer Visa's on arrival.

The problem was the shrew at the immigration desk.

Even with my retirement visa I occasionally come across vindictive immigration officers.  There usually hung over, red eyed punks.

It's a lousy job so I'll give them that. 

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

they and only they  called Bangkok  airport Swampy because they can't pronounce or spell  Suvarnabhumi. 

It's a slur and insult

actually "that" airport was built on swamp land, therefore the nickname Swampy is not only accurate but also a cute pun:

Suvarnabhumi Airport lies outside of Bangkok city centre, in the neighbouring province of Samut Prakan. Once rural marshland known as Cobra Swamp (Nong Nguhao), the area was drained to make way for the new airport.

• Like 2

Any I/O is a public servant and her job is to enforce the existing Immigration law fairy and correctly.  Any comments she has with the law should be directed to her superiors, not the public..

O/P is not the first, nor will be the last, to take advantage of Thailand's no visa entry policy.

Only TV members who have Always got a visa, have any right to criticize O/P

IMO, the hassles that getting a normal Non ) or 3 month visa fully justify  using any legal means to visit LOS.  

If Thailand want tourists to come it has to make it easy for them to do so.  I agree with O/P that it used to be easy to get visa; call at embassy, ill in 1 page form, pay fee and collect visa next day, not the fuss on-line that is now required.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:

It will never happen, but it would be nice to hear the IO side of the story.

What for? We know the story - she flipped through a passport full of Thailand stamps (even though they were years old) and her "you come too often" lightbulb went off. Didn't even bother to look at the dates - just knee-jerk reaction to the stamps. Funny enough if the OP came with a new clean passport she wouldn't have asked him anything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What for? We know the story - she flipped through a passport full of Thailand stamps (even though they were years old) and her "you come too often" lightbulb went off. Didn't even bother to look at the dates - just knee-jerk reaction to the stamps. Funny enough if the OP came with a new clean passport she wouldn't have asked him anything.

C'est ca in a nutshell

And indeed due to the fast expiring passport, next trip I will be equipped with a pristine new unused one. (Yours truly will henceforth be avoiding any immigration queues leading to a stamp wielder devoid of  'Y' chromosome).

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

You should really get a visa though, its really not that hard and keeps immigration happy and it works out about the same price .........what's your problem

I don't see that anybody's travel documents are any business of yours, What is your problem? Why do you consider it appropriate for you to decide what others "should really do"   Oh pardon me I just noticed your name, that explains it , "Teachers"

a bit like police really, in that they can't help telling people what they should do, and appear to be "never off duty"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Regyai said:

"Next time you will get a visa"

"No, next time will be after the 1st October - I wont need any extensions or visas as you will be stamping the new 45 days visa exemption into my passport"

big call that the temporary 45 day VE is superseding VR's. i wonder how many VE's you would have done if not for covid restrictions. maybe I/O questions were OK. please keep the forum posted re your next 2022 VE - i do 3 or 4 VE's per year (except covid 2 years) without questions but can change according to I/O discretion as per TIT.

5 hours ago, Regyai said:

C'est ca in a nutshell

And indeed due to the fast expiring passport, next trip I will be equipped with a pristine new unused one. (Yours truly will henceforth be avoiding any immigration queues leading to a stamp wielder devoid of  'Y' chromosome).

But all your details, name, DoB, fingerprints, photo, entries etc will still be in the computer.

• Like 1

???

Of course, and presumably all my prior entries into/out of Thailand - as they have been to every other I.O. I've presented to in the past - without issue.

The new passport was a throw-a-way response to the preceding post. The underlying issue to it all is how does changing horses from all those prior Visas to now just using Visa Exempts (albeit the dizzy heights of now having had two of them - four months apart) merit such surprising attention.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

In my past experience female IO are always best to avoid if possible. I've always had worse experience with them as they get nosy and rude when they think you "come a lot". And heaven forbid you tell one you have a Thai wife or girlfriend - she will kick you out of the country! I guess they're really annoyed with dirty farang coming to Thailand and stealing the women (while she probably lives alone with her cats - the only creatures who can sort of stand her).

Add to that young new looking IO's male/female they might be a bit keener, i always queued up with a middle aged male IO, i reckon they are more interested  in what beer to have after finishing work, 

i had the same issue 8 years coming to Thailand visa exempt 4/5 times a year, never an issue, til the fateful day at Ranong , back from a day snorkeling, in Myanmar, there were 2 middle  aged female IO'S  she threw my passport at me said where is your Myanmar exit visa after showing her it, mmmmm you come a lot, then went to talk to someone, stamped me in, after that i just got a retirement visa, even though i never spent more than 90 days a year here. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Regyai said:

In view of the trumpet blowing in media sources proclaiming basically TVs now superseded by the forthcoming 45 day (extendable) exempts I fear the memo isn't being got at the front line.

Good grief...what did you eat for breakfast?

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What is your problem.

Thailand makes available visa exempt entry also they do not place a limit on visa exempt entries via air.

The poster that you quoted had very low level visits to Thailand. 

He does not require a tourist visa.

The io was way out of line.

Not unusual. 

What 'line' is that?

Immo's EVERYWHERE can have a bad hair day but universally they are the still ones in charge of any imaginary lines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

So in other words, she was doing her job as all IO's do in all countries. Screen the entrants at arrival. Entitlement is not a free pass to enter another country

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 4:53 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is rather difficult to get a visa though , applying on line isn't an easy process 

I tend to disagree...   I applied for my current tourist visa ONLINE first time ever.

I found the whole experience simple and fast. I got the 'approval' within 12 hours and the following day I trotted into the Sydney Consulate with my Passport, filled-out Application form with Reference number.

Re the Immigation on arrival at Swampy last month...   all they wanted to see was my Passport and boarding pass....   so, don't leave your boarding pass in the seat pocket on the plane! 

On 8/25/2022 at 4:44 PM, ESLTeacher1989 said:

You should really get a visa though, its really not that hard and keeps immigration happy and it works out about the same price .........what's your problem

why? Simply no need its for his benefit not some whim of the IM

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

"Teachers"

a bit like police really, in that they can't help telling people what they should do, and appear to be "never off duty"

Used to be in travel business   IMHO Teachers are/were  always trouble

Old saying is....if you "cant do" you teach

Edited by poohy

1 hour ago, bangkok19 said:

I tend to disagree...   I applied for my current tourist visa ONLINE first time ever.

I found the whole experience simple and fast. I got the 'approval' within 12 hours and the following day I trotted into the Sydney Consulate with my Passport, filled-out Application form with Reference number.

Re the Immigation on arrival at Swampy last month...   all they wanted to see was my Passport and boarding pass....   so, don't leave your boarding pass in the seat pocket on the plane! 

So you applied for your tourist visa online but you still have to go to the Consulate and complete an application form.

Don't you get the visa by email ?

• Like 1

Had  similar krap from  imigration on extension renewal,  big  push for changing from marriage to retirement........ same ending, she says next year get retirement...I just ignore them. Reason for that is its easier for  them....which keeps  instilling my Thais are  lazy attitude towards them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

So you applied for your tourist visa online but you still have to go to the Consulate and complete an application form.

Don't you get the visa by email ?

Sydney is a bit behind the times mate ????

• Like 1

Multiple Exempt entries no matter when and even spaced out a little is a red flag, eventually you will be questioned. Working on a 28/28 rotation years ago and entering exempt for a couple years I was finally asked ( male IO ) "you need a Non O", on those days off I got a multiple entry Non O.