Used car history

Sergach

7 minutes ago, Sergach said:

When you buy a used car in Thailand, how do you verify its history? Thanks!

Basically you can't.

I know of two chaps who purchased used cars from dealers, both had their odometers wound back.

One blew the motor within 6 months, out of warranty.

The other, his odometer stopped working and he took it to the dealership of the car, not the car dealer he purchased it from and they told him it wasn't the original and that they had to replace it.

His car was one year old with 17,000 kilometres, when he transferred the car to his name, he found out it was previously used by a courier company, so who knows how many clicks it had on it.

I would never consider buying a used car here as you have little chance of anything being done to the a$$holes who get away with it.

I purchased new 7 years ago and keep a record of everything, never an issue with the car with over 200 clicks on it now, and whoever buys it in the future can see things for what they really are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends what you are looking to buy.....

Many Thais buy New and keep there cars for 10 + years = you buy a 1 owner, 1 driver car.....

my 2nd car here was a 10 year old Audi A6, and I sold it 10 years later, so was 20 years old....

Next door bought a Corolla in 1999, the changed it in 2020 for a Nissan Note, will they keep that for 20 years ?

We also have a pickup normally sell around 300,000 km, the  1999 Isuzu Dragon Power SLX pickup had 460,000 km on the clock, the next D-Max had 300k, the Mazda had 300k  the present Ford Ranger has 320k so far,,  

Friend in the Village their Son bought a 1 owner 1996 BMW 518  was very good car, he wanted something newer with more power so bought a BMW 523i 2004 = nothing but problem almost every week was being fixed..  managed to sell and now has is Dads 1 owner 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo

The one thing to remember is that very little is chucked away here, especially cars. Labour is cheap, so fixing up a right off is a business.

There are a few reputable second hand dealers around, where you probably have some protection, "SURE" comes to mind...

• Like 1

I would yes and if I cant confirm it I wont buy it. When I sold a vehicle many years ago the prospective buyer called me and asked if there hade been any problems with it and what was the mileage when I sold it. I gave him all the answers he wanted and the mileage matched what was shown. I assume he bought it and was happy with it.

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

I would yes and if I cant confirm it I wont buy it. When I sold a vehicle many years ago the prospective buyer called me and asked if there hade been any problems with it and what was the mileage when I sold it. I gave him all the answers he wanted and the mileage matched what was shown. I assume he bought it and was happy with it.

On the phone.........."Yes it's 2012, wiv no problems at all, still runs like new, only done 5,000km's from new, honest guv"........????...........????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sergach said:

When you buy a used car in Thailand, how do you verify its history? Thanks!

Last 2 I brought for daughters from Auction--no one is altering the mileage on them, as they were both taken for non payment.-- Always sold outside of the area that they were taken from--in Issan auctions we have a lot of BKK/South Thai cars, people bidding are mainly dealers

• Like 1

I baught our chevy optra when we cam back 17 yrs ago ,brand new ,meant to change it after about 4 yrs ,but its been great ,serviced every 6k runs like a dream its done 17k its a manual,which i prefere so do the wife and our son who has a swift,just dont want to change it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Toyota Sure sell used cars with certification. I know a lot of the cars would have been from Toyota owners who had their cars serviced there. Toyota keep a history of all your servicing records.

Quite right but it reflects in the prices they charge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

On the phone.........."Yes it's 2012, wiv no problems at all, still runs like new, only done 5,000km's from new, honest guv"........????...........????

You must have a really crappy life. You only accept what you say. I feel sorry for you. When you grow up I sure you will be...... well better than you are now.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I purchased new 7 years ago and keep a record of everything, never an issue with the car with over 200 clicks on it now

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I baught our chevy optra when we cam back 17 yrs ago ,brand new ,meant to change it after about 4 yrs ,but its been great ,serviced every 6k runs like a dream its done 17k its a manual,which i prefere so do the wife and our son who has a swift,just dont want to change it

How do you guys do such little mileage ?  200 klms in 7 years and 17,000 klms in 17 years.

• Like 1

Op,it is really simple!

Ask if the car has a service book,if it has you can verify the mileage at the dealer.

If they have some excuse for not having it,no deal.

I bought a Ford Ranger with 60 000 km on the odometer nearly

5 years ago.It was a 2009 ,they had the service book with all

details and the dealer confirmed it.

Still have the truck and it has 113000 km now.

They are out there even at the car tents.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NE1 said:

How do you guys do such little mileage ?  200 klms in 7 years and 17,000 klms in 17 years.

Prior to buying my MG HS, I had a Porsche Cayenne which I bought new in 2019, when I sold it in 2021, 2 years after I bought it it only had 8k Km on it, it was only driven in BKK and a few outside trips.  I have a Yamaha X-max 300 I bought right after I sold the Porsche, and it only has a little over 1k km on it.  Living in the city I don't drive but a few km a day here and there.  My 2012 Mitsubishi Triton I had in Udon, had over 200k km on it after driving just 4 years, thats what happens when you live far away from everything.  Mileage is relevant to how much folks drive, some drive alot and others like me drive not to much.  The MG HS has 22k on it now, but when you drive to Phuket, Chiang Mai and other places you put on the miles.  The X-Max will get lots of miles after the weather changes and we stay in southern Hua Hin more.  

I would be wary of buying a used car from someone who does not have the paperwork to back it up.  Almost all of the Thai's I have known or met over the years service there vehicle regularly and keep the receipts, thats why they always want to sell it for big money.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Well many of us are not wanting to tear up and down the length of Thailand or need to. 

Also many have move than one type of transport. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NE1 said:

In my opinion, a car is to enjoy as it depreciates in value, that said, I paid 800k for it in 2015, so would think it's halved in value, as for doing little kilometres, I'm assuming you have done more than 200k's in 7 years in Thailand ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

In my opinion, a car is to enjoy as it depreciates in value, that said, I paid 800k for it in 2015, so would think it's halved in value, as for doing little kilometres, I'm assuming you have done more than 200k's in 7 years in Thailand

Are you saying now it's 200,000 klms ? in the first instance you put 200 clicks (klms) ,  that is why I mentioned it . 

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Are you saying now it's 200,000 klms ? in the first instance you put 200 clicks (klms) , 30 clicks a year , that is why I mentioned it . 

Yeh no, just over 200,000 clicks, i.e. kilometres, 30 thousand clicks a year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Suggest servicing once every 3 years is not a recommendation any car manufacturer would recommend irrespective of low mileage.

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Last 2 I brought for daughters from Auction--no one is altering the mileage on them, as they were both taken for non payment.-- Always sold outside of the area that they were taken from--in Issan auctions we have a lot of BKK/South Thai cars, people bidding are mainly dealers

Do they annouce these Auction some place ?Who keep these non payed cars auction's? Local police stations keep auction's but they normaly have only much scooter's lol. Few years back friend buy almost new car in Udon from Auction. Was really cheap also. He hear about that auction from father in law.

Bought 4 secondhand cars from dealers , never had any problems. 

Of course, had to change batteries and tyres when they wore out plus one or two small issues but that's about it.

It does help if you know quite a lot about cars and what to look for in a secondhand car. If the dealer selling the car won't let me take it for a decent test drive , typically about 10 k where i can go through the gears and test it at higher speed then I pass that dealer by. Cheapest I have paid for a car from a dealer was 59,000 for an old Nissan Sunny. Great little car but wife said we lost face taking it anywhere nice. 

Latest car is a Toyota Vios which I bought 5 years ago for 159,000.

Been super reliable and was in excellent condition with a set of brand new Michelins on it when purchased.

Vios.jpg

Edited by Denim
spelling

Hi,

If you plan to stay longer, consider buying a new car. Riding a new car is a pleasure. If you always got used cars, riding a new car may change your life forever.

I bought 4 used cars in my life and had to repair there and there periodically.

The last one I bought in Bangkok and automatic gear was broken next day.

Used car look around..

Look straight down the side of the car from the front, everything should line up, and reflections in the paint line up too.

Panel gaps, should all be the same unless it is a feature of the car, but doors should be all equal.

Stand well back and look for colour match, a painted panel can be a tad off colour, pointing to body repair.

Condition of the driver's seat, with a high mileage car you will see the wear/sag. May give an indication of meter tamper.

Have a drive, listen for any noise, most modern cars are incredibly quiet, any whines, walk away...

Engine bay will probably be spotless, the first thing they do is pressure wash etc to look wow, so difficult to spot anything out of order, though a glance under will show any leaks.

57 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

l.Do they annouce these Auction some place ?Who keep these non payed cars auction's? Local police stations keep auction's but they normaly have only much scooter's lol. Few years back friend buy almost new car in Udon from Auction. Was really cheap also. He hear about that auction from father in law.

Thailand has vehicle auctions all over the place.  Just Google auto auction with the cities name.  Bangkok has several.

One has to be very careful with used cars in Thailand generally and at auctions specifically.  Thailand has a lot of floods, not just on streets but not infrequently in below street level parking garages with poor drainage.  Lots of floods means lots of flood cars which is something you do not want to be stuck with.  There are companies that actually specialize in cleaning up flood cars.  Unfortunately, most of what they do is cosmetic.  Mechanicals and electrics don't like to be immersed in water, especially filthy flood water.

Edited by dddave

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Do they annouce these Auction some place ?

Yer but not sure where you are-----if you are in BKK then there are lots, with the pandemic they also morphed into doing internet auctions---which I dont know anything about. At the last auction I went to (5 years ago) we had to pay 10K to bid---returned if you dont buy.

You 100% need a Thai with you -no matter how good your Thai is, it goes at speed. So tell them to bid in lots of 5K and tell your Thai person what your top price is.

I got a 7 month old 4 door Mazda (6 years ago) at 320K  to have it that new the guy must have stopped paying the minute he drove out of the dealers.

Drawbacks are that you dont get to drive them----up here there all in a big field & you can inspect them as much as you like from about a week before the Auction--but you only hear it running as they drive it up to the bidding plate.  That last one my Daughter brought was jerky and missing a lot.

We found out after that latter it was just a minor electrical fault ....... dont know how that happened....................:omfg:

• Thanks 1