A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

webfact

2 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90% of children on motorcycles have a phone in the left hand! No helmet and no licence. It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks. They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 
Get serious please Thai Police!

When they see anyone driving in a dangerous manner maybe they should do like they did, maybe they have stopped it I dont know, like they did in the USA. They took the people to the morgue at a hospital and showed them real corpses smashed up. Apparently 95% changed their ways over night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, starky said:

Im gonna say this. I'm no accident investigator but I don't believe that car was fully stopped. Or that motorcycle was <deleted>n flying. So if that part of his story isn't true then....

Yes, I felt the same. For some reason I suspect the driver was 'economical with the truth'.....Still, I expect she was focused on her phone....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90% of children on motorcycles have a phone in the left hand! No helmet and no licence. It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks. They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 

This I've seen for all of the five plus years i have lived here. Enforcement of the laws is lax, and is the main reason this will continue to happen forever until the police are held responsible for enforcement of the laws, which is part of their job description. I see 5 on a scooter, with only the driver using a helmet, with an infant standing on the seat, nestled between two others. A car hits them at high speed, and the whole family dies. I see kids texting with one hand, driving with the other, scooters without mirrors, even though it appears most don't use mirrors anyway. It seems the majority here don't care about their or anyone else's futures, thinking if it's my turn, I can't stop that anyway. True, but driving like there's no tomorrow will certainly shorten your life. This happens daily here, as we only see a couple of accidents a day on the news, which is a tiny percentage of the accidents that happen daily. Enforce the laws, fine the drivers and ,or, their parents for being irresponsible, and they will start to learn, as taking a person's money, especially if they aren't rich, is the best deterrent. Like all of what goes wrong in this world is attributed to bad or lack of parenting, and lack of law enforcement, this has to change immediately if a change is to occur. I understand this country is years behind in many ways, but a lesson can be learned by watching and doing what other countries have done to curtail this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That would be a deterrent. That would require care, concern and foresight. That would require good governance and participation of an extraordinarily apathetic police force. I don't see that happening. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

I totally agree with you. I have driven in many countries including the Middle East where vehicles for the locals only have two speed, Stop and As Fast as the vehicle will go. I had Drive to Survive courses, Desert driving etc. and I ha found them to be useful. If they had a bit of thought and introduced such training we may not see as many lives wasted for no reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:
2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Kids can legally use a motorcycle here to get to school if there is no bus.....it's pretty sad tho' that this incident is not the first!

Down to what age is this, 4 or 5?

Any age according to him, he made no distinction, babes in arms included.  Although, maybe the law that allows this (?) does indicate a minimum age or, at least, insist on them being out of nappies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

A modern vehicle is built so flimsily using mostly plastic, this sheet metal,  and very little reinforcement that a front end of a car just about explodes upon any serious impact.

Modern cars are not "built flimsily using mostly plastic" they are built to comply with crumple-zone requirements to absorb energy in collisions and are mostly steel.  The non-structural plastic bumpers cover a steel under-structure as reinforcement.   The pickup pictured has, in no way, "just about exploded".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Father, perhaps she was too young to be riding a motorcycle to school.....

Even the older adults do not know about basic safety. 

1. Must wear a helmet every time.

2. Do not talk on the phone while riding

3. Do not smoke cigarettes while riding

3. Do not overtake to the opposite lane due to incoming cars (Many people are impatient when there is a traffic jam on the lane so they overtake on the opposite lane)

I see many Thai people doing these things , how did they get their driving license in the first place?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Will never happen and certainly not in our lifetime.

RIP to the young lady.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Who bought her the phone and the bike? Or who allowed her to use them? Maybe the parents?

I have hardly spoken to my 17 year old daughter for nearly a month because she sat in the passenger seat of her friend's car to get rides home from school. This was after me repeatedly telling her not to, and that I would catch her if she did, and punish her.

Jesus Christ...

3 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Not only children but adults too. See my post above.

That is just absolutely common behavior here!

The toughest are the moped suppliers... LINE...GRAB..etc.

The have to 99% the cell phone always while driving in the view and communicate with the receiver!

The same also applies to moped services like Kerry etc!

The police just looks away...Just like the parents!

The whining afterwards, is just a consequence of it!

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe 14 year old can ride bikes under 100cc.????

I believe you're wrong.  To ride legally, all motorcyclists in Thailand have to be licenced and the minimum age for that is 15.   Even if your proposition was correct, what was she riding in this case?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Seems a lot of damage to the front of the truck . If the driver was breaking then there would be less damage than is showing .

The level of damage would be dependent upon the impact force, determined both by the speed of the truck, which appears slowing according to the driver ( which naturally he would say but I suspect may not be the truth given he was on a delivery ), but no info on the speed of the motorcycle. When will parents stop giving their children a death sentence by allowing them to drive anything underage, let alone motorcycles.  Also crash helmets seem unnecessary. RIP to the girl as it is tragic for any youngster to lose their lives, especially so when they are completely avoidable, as is often the case when the parents are irresponsible and negligent in their duty of care to their children.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:
1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

If you do not know for sure, best you do not comment. 

Please provide a link to the appropriate traffic law, then. For the benefit of all. 

You're the one who made the claim about 14-year olds and 50cc bikes, you're the one who needs to prove the claim! 

• Like 1

The only thing that works in this country is "to not lose face" and that's why everyone is wearing mask when they ride the bike and not the helmet...

If they can make a huge marketing campaign to make them think "if you don't wear a helmet people will think bad about you" I belive 100% will start to wear it... and with phones too

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...absolutely no mention of the fact she was underage".

No, absolutely no mention of her being underage apart from the bolded headline specifically pointing out that she was underage.

You are correct Sir, I missed the 14 in the headline. However, in my defence it was early morning...........:whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackshadow said:

nothing wrong wiv the system....she should NOT have been on the bike...end of story.....

correct ....  common sense says you are partly responsible for your own safety ,  and the parents are the other part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Dependent upon the impact force, determined both by the speed of the truck, which appears slowing according to the driver ( which naturally he would say but I suspect may not be the truth given he was on a delivery ), but no info on the speed of the motorcycle. When will parents stop giving their children a death sentence by allowing them to drive anything underage, let alone motorcycles.  Also crash helmets seem unnecessary. RIP to the girl as it is tragic for any youngster to lose their lives, especially so when they are completely avoidable.

determined both by the speed of the truck, which appears slowing according to the driver

You say 'according to the driver, but I have read the article a few times and I cannot find the part were he says that he was slowing down.

What he did actually state was that he braked coming to a halt.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1